The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #181
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that this should take place after the turtles have already been in action for a while? It really should be a sequel series, I mean the "origin" angle is an interesting take but from everything we've seen it really doesn't make sense. The turtles don't act like newbies, April is a ninja, there are mutants everywhere, the turtles aren't shocked by all the crazy things they are seeing.
They could have theoretically used this pitch for a Season 6 for the 2012 series, but I guess they just wanted to go with a fresh take with a new creative team.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #182
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that this should take place after the turtles have already been in action for a while? It really should be a sequel series, I mean the "origin" angle is an interesting take but from everything we've seen it really doesn't make sense. The turtles don't act like newbies, April is a ninja, there are mutants everywhere, the turtles aren't shocked by all the crazy things they are seeing.
Very much, yes. It's weird that it has kind of jumped right into it with them clearly already highly skilled in those fight scenes... yet also supposedly "noobs" and messing up frequently? Wut. *headache*

A time or two the first ep felt like it almost sort of hinted that the Turtles may find out some kind of unknown origin later, but IF it even does bother to go there, it feels weird to save it for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
Okay, saw the first five episodes annnnd...my reactions are extremely mixed. The series as a whole is really hard for me to find the words for it. In short, I like it a little. As in I put it dead last of the four animated series. Why do I like it at all? It's entertaining to a degree, but it does NOT feel like TMNT to me much at all. I'm extremely open-minded and I'm even having issues with seeing this as being an actual TMNT show. The show can be fun at times, but one huge turn-off for me was the 3B one with the worm. I don't ever want to see that episode again.

I made a commitment to see this show until its end (just like I have for every other series) but this one is a really hard sell for me to believe it's TMNT. If it wasn't TMNT, I probably wouldn't even bother with the show. But, as unbelievable as it stands right now, I'm optimistic it will get much better as the series progresses. I hope I'm right.

On the bright side, I rather enjoyed episode 2A. That seems like the most TMNT-ish episode so far, so we'll see if things get to that point again or even better. Sure it was silly, but it had more of that TMNT vibe than any of the other episodes thus far (including the debut episode).
I agree a lot with you. So far, most episodes don't give me any desire to see them again, which is a shame as most TMNT does have that effect. Only 2A has me interested in a second viewing, esp later once we know more.





Donnie's Gifts? And here I figured, going by the events of ep 3A, 2B was likely where April gets the pizza place job before she ups and loses it that fast. Huh... Yeah, that line from Leo, something like "I don't understand you" pretty much sums up this show so far.

Maybe she'll get that job in that one, but the title doesn't quite fit that theme.

edit: At this point I'm kind of wondering if she will just keep job hopping as a gimmick...until she lands a mail room job or whatever at Channel 6.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #183
evan2000
Stone Warrior
 
evan2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo2003 View Post
Looks like they decided to skip episode 2B for whatever reason... 'Donnie's Gifts'
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Maybe it's really important and better left for a later date? Or maybe it's bad and they figured it wouldn't leave a good impression?
Maybe there were some last minute edits/touch ups needed?
__________________
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #184
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior
 
Ashwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 525
Kinda feels like the ep segments they released were a mixed bag selection to give ppl a taste of different aspects of the show. Which if it's the case, it makes more sense regarding the order of particular events like w/ April's job and how they seem to be at different progression points in learning to use those weapons.
__________________

Last edited by Ashwolf; 07-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Ashwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #185
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,877
Hmm... You could be right, they might not fit into the timeline as presented and just chose a few random ones.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #186
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,899
Those who can’t watch the first episode on Nick site, download it on iTunes- it’s FREE and has no ads at all!
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #187
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Those who canít watch the first episode on Nick site, download it on iTunes- itís FREE and has no ads at all!
Can't they watch on Youtube? (just remember not to link, that's not allowed here)
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #188
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,899
Full episode is not on YouTube, it’s probably content copyrighted like other tmnt series.
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #189
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 2,439
Just watched episode 3. I like the short length. Easy for a quick binge watch.

I only found myself spacing out once. So thatís good.

Alberto stole the show for me. The voice and character work great. Very cool!

However, it didnít feel like TMNT.

You could have replaced the four turtles with Shaggy, Freddie, Velma and Scooby. It would have been just as entertaining and basically the same show.
__________________
Find me on
Instagram @turtle_wa
YouTube @TurtleWA
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #190
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,681
Ya know it's funny, Scooby-Doo has been around so long and been through so many different iterations. I wonder if longtime fans complained about each new version coming out before realizing that what comes out doesn't tarnish or change what came before
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #191
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Ya know it's funny, Scooby-Doo has been around so long and been through so many different iterations. I wonder if longtime fans complained about each new version coming out before realizing that what comes out doesn't tarnish or change what came before
Yeah true. Definitely something to think about.

However, when playing a cover song how many notes do you hit in orders to call it a cover. How much creative freedom can you use and still call it a cover. Or is it just it’s own original song that just happens to share the name with the other version.

Right now, to me, not enough notes are being played to call it TMNT. I’d like to see more family, training and brotherhood moments.
__________________
Find me on
Instagram @turtle_wa
YouTube @TurtleWA
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #192
Leofan26
Mad Scientist
 
Leofan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Ya know it's funny, Scooby-Doo has been around so long and been through so many different iterations. I wonder if longtime fans complained about each new version coming out before realizing that what comes out doesn't tarnish or change what came before
Long time Scooby fan here, the only Scooby show I can say that about is Be Cool Scooby Doo as the animation for that show had them look like a Family Guy skit they sometimes do and the characters such as Fred and Daphney are way off from past shows. As a long time fan of both this and Scooby Doo it's hard to turn down a new series, you become a deticated fan after such along time fan
A new Scooby Doo show known as Guess Who Scooby Doo is coming out this fall, will it be worse? Who knows. Show before that was Scooby Doo MI which had the darkest plots and twists and deaths in it, than we switch to that

I'd say Be Cool Scooby Doo is what Rise of the teenage turtles to this fandom here to Scooby fans.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #193
Donaterro
Thug
 
Donaterro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I knew it! I knew Warren Stone would be my favorite bad guy! Rock on, little worm!
I've watched 4 or 5 episodes (then went back and watched em again), and that was the only one that made me laugh. This show's supposed to be funny. Maybe for, five year olds?

I fear this is worse than I thought it would be. It's TMNT GO, but not very amusing.

Not meaning to be a downer, just expressing an opinion. I'll be sitting this one out.

Last edited by Donaterro; 07-22-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #194
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Long time Scooby fan here, the only Scooby show I can say that about is Be Cool Scooby Doo as the animation for that show had them look like a Family Guy skit they sometimes do and the characters such as Fred and Daphney are way off from past shows. As a long time fan of both this and Scooby Doo it's hard to turn down a new series, you become a deticated fan after such along time fan
A new Scooby Doo show known as Guess Who Scooby Doo is coming out this fall, will it be worse? Who knows. Show before that was Scooby Doo MI which had the darkest plots and twists and deaths in it, than we switch to that

I'd say Be Cool Scooby Doo is what Rise of the teenage turtles to this fandom here to Scooby fans.
I love Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. Imagine having that kind of darkness in TMNT.

The closest we had was TMNT 2012 Season 2 episode “Invasion of Squirrelanoids” & the first half of Season 3 - I love the spooky/horror episodes.
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #195
tmnt182
Mouser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
This show is hot garbage. Watched all the available episodes over the weekend and was super disappointed. Ben Schwartz does a good Leo voice but that's the only nice thing I can find to say.

It doesn't feel like TMNT at all and I'm super nostalgic for the 2012 series already.
tmnt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #196
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier
 
Wretched Reptile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Shellabama
Posts: 114
Ok, straight up - I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SHOW.

I've been a fan of the franchise since '88 and I think Rise is FANTASTIC so far. I got somewhat nervous headed into finally seeing it, but that quickly faded mere minutes into the first episode. By the end, I was flat out in love.

I absolutely adore Leo and Donnie in this and April is fab. Raph and Mikey are also great but Leo and Don are just stealing their thunder for me right now. Splinter is definitely different but I find him oddly charming and somewhat amusing despite the unconventional characterization so far. I definitely think there's more to him beneath the surface and it will reveal itself as the story unfolds. The new baddies are cool too and I eagerly await seeing some older ones appear in new makeovers and with different story angles. This Shredder will prove to be VERY interesting when he finally appears.

And yes, Rise is vastly different from all its predecessors - but that's exactly what it needed to be IMO. After all the grimdark depressing stuff in the last third of the 2012 series (which I loved too in its own right, so don't misunderstand me there), this is a great 180 in terms of general feeling, delivery and tone. It's just loads of FUN. The energy, the humor, the colors, the frenetic action, the overall bonkery bananas feeling of it all just resonates with me SO MUCH. I can't stop smiling when I watch it.

I'm not that surprised many are already quick to dislike it because it's so jarringly different in so many respects, but that's a shame to me. I think in terms of trying new things and it being a boatload of fun to watch them do it, this is really working for me right now and I can't wait to see what else they come up with. I've already rewatched the first 5 episodes twice over now. They're insanely easy to sit through again for me. Outside of the premiere, the 11 minute format seems ideal for some of these stories too. Perfectly paced.

On the flip of any negativity, it's also good to see other longtime fans embracing the show. I, for one, hope this DOESN'T meet a swift end - I'd be perfectly happy to see this on the air for as long as 2012 was. With this kind of zany and enjoyable creativity and imagination running wild within just 5 episodes so far, I think the sky's the limit for this team.

In closing, I'm STOKED for more Rise!!!
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #197
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,899
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Reptile View Post
Ok, straight up - I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SHOW.

I've been a fan of the franchise since '88 and I think Rise is FANTASTIC so far. I got somewhat nervous headed into finally seeing it, but that quickly faded mere minutes into the first episode. By the end, I was flat out in love.

I absolutely adore Leo and Donnie in this and April is fab. Raph and Mikey are also great but Leo and Don are just stealing their thunder for me right now. Splinter is definitely different but I find him oddly charming and somewhat amusing despite the unconventional characterization so far. I definitely think there's more to him beneath the surface and it will reveal itself as the story unfolds. The new baddies are cool too and I eagerly await seeing some older ones appear in new makeovers and with different story angles. This Shredder will prove to be VERY interesting when he finally appears.

And yes, Rise is vastly different from all its predecessors - but that's exactly what it needed to be IMO. After all the grimdark depressing stuff in the last third of the 2012 series (which I loved too in its own right, so don't misunderstand me there), this is a great 180 in terms of general feeling, delivery and tone. It's just loads of FUN. The energy, the humor, the colors, the frenetic action, the overall bonkery bananas feeling of it all just resonates with me SO MUCH. I can't stop smiling when I watch it.

I'm not that surprised many are already quick to dislike it because it's so jarringly different in so many respects, but that's a shame to me. I think in terms of trying new things and it being a boatload of fun to watch them do it, this is really working for me right now and I can't wait to see what else they come up with. I've already rewatched the first 5 episodes twice over now. They're insanely easy to sit through again for me. Outside of the premiere, the 11 minute format seems ideal for some of these stories too. Perfectly paced.

On the flip of any negativity, it's also good to see other longtime fans embracing the show. I, for one, hope this DOESN'T meet a swift end - I'd be perfectly happy to see this on the air for as long as 2012 was. With this kind of zany and enjoyable creativity and imagination running wild within just 5 episodes so far, I think the sky's the limit for this team.

In closing, I'm STOKED for more Rise!!!
This is such a nice review. I feel the same on Rise & how it contrast with 2012 tmnt. Thanks for sharing.
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #198
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,335
i don't mind humor. i just don't like dumb/zany humor.
it takes away from any sense of realism the show might be trying to project.

april going 'rabid' and gnawing through ropes for example
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #199
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i don't mind humor. i just don't like dumb/zany humor.
it takes away from any sense of realism the show might be trying to project.

april going 'rabid' and gnawing through ropes for example
I don't think the show is going for realism
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #200
tmnt182
Mouser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Reptile View Post
Ok, straight up - I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SHOW.

I've been a fan of the franchise since '88 and I think Rise is FANTASTIC so far. I got somewhat nervous headed into finally seeing it, but that quickly faded mere minutes into the first episode. By the end, I was flat out in love.

I absolutely adore Leo and Donnie in this and April is fab. Raph and Mikey are also great but Leo and Don are just stealing their thunder for me right now. Splinter is definitely different but I find him oddly charming and somewhat amusing despite the unconventional characterization so far. I definitely think there's more to him beneath the surface and it will reveal itself as the story unfolds. The new baddies are cool too and I eagerly await seeing some older ones appear in new makeovers and with different story angles. This Shredder will prove to be VERY interesting when he finally appears.

And yes, Rise is vastly different from all its predecessors - but that's exactly what it needed to be IMO. After all the grimdark depressing stuff in the last third of the 2012 series (which I loved too in its own right, so don't misunderstand me there), this is a great 180 in terms of general feeling, delivery and tone. It's just loads of FUN. The energy, the humor, the colors, the frenetic action, the overall bonkery bananas feeling of it all just resonates with me SO MUCH. I can't stop smiling when I watch it.

I'm not that surprised many are already quick to dislike it because it's so jarringly different in so many respects, but that's a shame to me. I think in terms of trying new things and it being a boatload of fun to watch them do it, this is really working for me right now and I can't wait to see what else they come up with. I've already rewatched the first 5 episodes twice over now. They're insanely easy to sit through again for me. Outside of the premiere, the 11 minute format seems ideal for some of these stories too. Perfectly paced.

On the flip of any negativity, it's also good to see other longtime fans embracing the show. I, for one, hope this DOESN'T meet a swift end - I'd be perfectly happy to see this on the air for as long as 2012 was. With this kind of zany and enjoyable creativity and imagination running wild within just 5 episodes so far, I think the sky's the limit for this team.

In closing, I'm STOKED for more Rise!!!
Just curious and I mean no disrespect but, how old are you?
tmnt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rise of the tmnt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.