The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

A Shared Movie Universe?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but this is something that's been on my mind for quite a while, aforementioned something being whether not a shared TMNT movie universe a la the MCU or the DCEU would work. I mean, when you think about it, there are plenty of characters that could be established and have their own little spin-offs built around them, and after OOTS, I think it might be time to do something to shake things up a bit to keep audiences interested. If course, this also might not be that great of a idea given what's been happening with the DCEU as of late, but I believe it might be worth a shot. Thoughts?
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
dragonside
Hench Mutant

it would have been pretty cool to have the Bay Turtles as "the" universe for the movies.

I could definitely see crossovers with GI Joe and Transformers (which IDW already did).

Too bad though, since a third one is unlikely.

Another reboot will hopefully establish a new universe for the movies.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

With what? The Justice Force?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

How about hell no? Besides, they have no one to crossover with. There are no other major Mirage series for them to crossover into. This isn't like Marvel or DC where they have tons of different comic series. Unless you want the Nick TMNT to crossover with Spongebob and the other Nicktoons.... but no. Just no.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

With both DC and Marvel, characters had already been established as existing in a shared universe. True, IDW has made crossovers with TMNT and Ghostbusters and they mingled with the Power Rangers once, but those are isolated instances. Meanwhile, it was not uncommon for Marvel characters to team up.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
How about hell no? Besides, they have no one to crossover with. There are no other major Mirage series for them to crossover into. This isn't like Marvel or DC where they have tons of different comic series. Unless you want the Nick TMNT to crossover with Spongebob and the other Nicktoons.... but no. Just no.
^This^

TMNT is pretty self contained.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

They could do a Playmates cinematic universe and fight the Toxic Crusaders, Dick Tracy, and various incarnations of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Totally, the TMNT movie series could relaunch, then a Fugitoid series, then a Gizmo series, then a Bioneers series, then a Justice Force series ala Guardians of the Galaxy, then a big Avengers type crossover movie series begins that crosses them all over while they take on Galactose!

Wait, no. That's a horrid idea. Would never and should never happen.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to other Mirage series but characters in the TMNT mythos. Like a Shredder movie or a Bebop and Rocksteady movie.
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0pia75 View Post
Like a Shredder movie or a Bebop and Rocksteady movie.
That's even more awful.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

^Ditto! A Bebop and Rocksteady movie is definitely something I do not want to exist.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
sdp
-

I think people are getting too excited with the "Shared Universe" popularity created by the MCU and don't realize it's not that easy. If the reboot TMNT movies couldn't even get to a third entry why would they try to make a universe out of it?

Also people are mistaking why it worked for say Marvel, if you think about it all these superheroes were their own comic series' and eventually they had crossovers, same with DC or say the Universal Monsters. You had many A-listers who could handle their own book later set in the same universe. TMNT is the only "A-lister", anyone else getting a spin-off (as cool as a Casey Jones movie would be) does not make it a "cinematic universe" it would just be a spin-off that have been popular way before Marvel even started making movies. So the question is more of a "should TMNT have spin-off movies?" well I'd love it but if the main heroes can't hit it big the minor characters certainly won't.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

No thanks, man.

IDW's got that generally covered with their various mini-series', so you've got that at least.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

A third movie could cross over with Usagi, since he's been established as existing in the same universe.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
A third movie could cross over with Usagi, since he's been established as existing in the same universe.
Even if a third movie was being made I'd highly doubt Stan would trust Platinum Dunes with handling Usagi well enough to allow them to use him.

And I echo what others have said. A TMNT Shared Movie Universe would not work at all.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I think studios should try and make a really great TMNT film first before they jump the gun into all the possibilities of a shared universe.

Don't wanna end up like WB/DC....
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, leave the whole shared universe thing to the professionals. All the Marvel copycats have been anywhere from uninspired to wretched.

And if Hollywood can't figure out a DC comics universe... jesus.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
NO. Stan Sakai would never stain his wonderful creation by having it be with those abomination TMNT.
Also, if they couldn't even make it to a third movie, how would they make a shared universe?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
What? There is no TMNT universe where Usagi exists in the same universe as them. That's not even possible. Unless there's like, entire continents with humanoid rabbits and dogs and such roaming around with swords in some TMNT universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I think studios should try and make a really great TMNT film first before they jump the gun
At this point most people would probably probably settle for a good TMNT film, or a middling one.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
no thank you.

i'd rather them just focus on getting their own movie universe done right.