The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

How does this toy work? [Catch All Thread]

Random idea for a thread, but one I've been thinking about for a while. I'm hoping it will be a place where folks can post questions and get answers about little tips about figuring posing/balancing/or accessory holding. Some figures like 2k3 Donatello and Foot Soldier were so tough to try and figure out the right leg position to get them to stand on their own!

More advanced questions might be the safest way to pull figures apart for customizing (like swapping heads of the original Nick April with the Dimension X spacesuit April).

I sometimes find the old Playmates Mutatin' figures hard to figure out. Without instructions, sometimes it seems like I'm applying pressure on the wrong part of the figure, trying to open the storage compartment. The old stuff is surprisingly sturdy, but it still gives me concern I might break something out of ignorance.

Recently, I picked up the Nick cartoon Bebop 2nd hand and I was surprised to find out he had wheels on the back of his heels and his backpack. What in the world is that about? Is that supposed to be a play feature where he skids around on his backside?

I welcome y'all to make this thread your own, if you wish.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Recently, I picked up the Nick cartoon Bebop 2nd hand and I was surprised to find out he had wheels on the back of his heels and his backpack. What in the world is that about? Is that supposed to be a play feature where he skids around on his backside?
I wondered about this myself. They spin really nicely, but they are in weird positions, so he doesn't really zoom along very well. Plus, they're not mentioned or even alluded to on the packaging as far as I could see.

I have a question about Break Fighting Raph. There is no way to insert the shield into his back without removing his belt, is there?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Not really. I always hated that about him myself.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

The wheels are so you can emulate when he slides up/down walls, like in the show.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 AM   #5
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

I also have a question, for the Vintage Metal Mutant Mikey, how are you supposed to put on his "nunchucks"? You know, the Beetle's legs? It can't hold on and keeps falling off on the little pegs in his wrists. Is it even possible to have him hold them like in the back of the card?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Here's another thing that has me vexed... the tail placement on the infamous Mutatin' April figure from 1993.

I think everybody agrees it's one of the worst looking figures in the entire classic Playmates line, and that problem is only aggravated by the fact that you can't hide the cat tail in April's human state. It just doesn't work. If you try to fold the tail up into the gap at the bottom of her backpack, it just creates an unsightly orange loop.

Compared against the instruction manual, it would appear that the placement of the tail on the figure may actually be upside down. The long part of the tail should be on the bottom half of the little soft plastic piece while the positioning nub should be on the top. More than likely, that would allow for greater tail flexibility:

Every picture I've seen of this figure online has a tail just like the one I own. So I figured maybe I should just yank it out and turn it over, but that tail is stuck in there pretty good. It's clear Playmates didn't want kids pulling apart the figure (to prevent a choking hazard liability, no doubt). I've tried nudging it and wedging it from all angles, but it just doesn't seem to want to give. Has anybody else had luck removing April's tail?

View my sketch work!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Great idea.

I wondered about this myself. They spin really nicely, but they are in weird positions, so he doesn't really zoom along very well. Plus, they're not mentioned or even alluded to on the packaging as far as I could see.

I have a question about Break Fighting Raph. There is no way to insert the shield into his back without removing his belt, is there?
the bottom of the package has a blurb saying wall rolling feature on it.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Does it? Like, the underside of the blister? I guess I didn't read it

I'm'a going to try that feature out when I get home.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #9
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Does it? Like, the underside of the blister? I guess I didn't read it

I'm'a going to try that feature out when I get home.
Yeah. The feature sucks though.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I gave it a shot - The wheels seem to have seized up. They were spinning freely when I bought it last year... now they're really stiff.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Prototype
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
The wheels are so you can emulate when he slides up/down walls, like in the show.
Can't remember that, in what episode does he do that?
Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
darthwahl56
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Can't remember that, in what episode does he do that?
You know how on the show he skates in the air riding on lasers, that is really what they are doing here to some degree. Personally I find the feature useless in toy form, but at least it doesn't get in the way of the figure.

"Party Wagon on the Move!"
darthwahl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Noticed an interesting feature on the Playmates Toys YouTube channel. They actually post some instructional videos for assembling vehicles/sets and tips for getting the best play value out of other figures. Back in the 90s, I always enjoyed having those extensive illustrated instructional manuals, as it felt like an extension of the product presentation, but I suppose it might be more cost effective for them to just throw up a video these days:

View my sketch work!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #14
DarkAtuin
Random Punk

About the Mutatin' April figure... I was wondering too if they somehow assembled the tail 'upside-down' or something like that.
However, mine broke somehow pretty easy when I was a child during transforming the figure. Funnily now I can slide the tail through the hole in her backpack, which although still having that little orange bump on her back somewhat looks slightly better in my opinion
DarkAtuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Regarding the 2K3 sewer lair, i notice that the left column, on the ground floor, has a little hole, I´d like to know if a piece has to be attached it there. Cheers!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

http://imgur.com/SrxyLJI
Whats the thing on the bottom of the left 'Space Tonfa' for?
Does it shoot water or discs or something?

Tags
questions