The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,383
What wrong with ninja 'magic' for the TMNT?

You know, I noticed a lot of people are upset whenever the idea of the turtles having any 'mystical' ninja abilities are present- like the Ninja tribunal season, or Next year's 'rise of the TMNT' cartoon series, and I really don't' get that. Ninja have been using magical abilities, like the nine characters of the Kuji-kiri, since the beginning of their appearance in Edo fiction. So I don't get why people get upset when the TMNT aren't using entirely 'real' ninja techniques. ( 'real' ninja- in a tmnt context, I can't even type that phrase with a straight face )

I don't see the problem with the upcoming incarnation of TMNT having ninja powers. I've always wanted a version of turtles where they could do shinobi techniques (jutsu) like running on water, disguise themselves as other people or objects in a puff of smoke, make illusion copies of themselves, and use elemental powers with their attacks. Ninja have been doing that sort of thing in Japanese movies, anime, manga and books for years; even dark and serious ninja stories. Why do people have a problem with the TMNT using mystical ninja techniques, when they've been a part of ninja folklore in japan since the beginning?

Anyway, I hope next year' 'rise of the TMNT' brings us an incarnation of the turtles that use the mystical kuji-kiri symbols.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,350
I guess I don't have a problem with "ninja magic" as a concept for the TMNT as long as it's not a thing that gets too carried away. I mean, I have no problem with Foot Mystics out there doing magic.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
newfan
Hench Mutant
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 320
Quote:
I guess I don't have a problem with "ninja magic" as a concept for the TMNT as long as it's not a thing that gets too carried away. I mean, I have no problem with Foot Mystics out there doing magic.
Yes and also the mention of magic in a show with a 'younger feel' concerns me a little

Last edited by newfan; 09-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I guess I don't have a problem with "ninja magic" as a concept for the TMNT as long as it's not a thing that gets too carried away. I mean, I have no problem with Foot Mystics out there doing magic.
Or some astral projection warfare.

But when things go full "Ninja Tribunal / anime", I'm out. Balance.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,232
Their powers in Ninja Tribunal only really lasted 5 episodes, and it was just for one arc so I didn't mind it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,225
If the show is going to have mysticism, or mystical elements, then it needs to be built into the world from stage one.

New York in my mind isn't a mystical place. It's just a place with a whole lot of people in it.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,636
This thread reminded me of that ridiculous moment from the tmnt OVA when Splinter deflected a spirit bomb using his fingers, straight out of DragonBall Z.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior
 
Splinter the boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
shinobi techniques (jutsu) like running on water, disguise themselves as other people or objects in a puff of smoke, make illusion copies of themselves, and use elemental powers with their attacks. Ninja have been doing that sort of thing in Japanese movies, anime, manga and books for years;
Naruto fan?
__________________
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Naruto fan?
Jutsu is NOT just a Naruto term, it is an actual Japanese tern that means 'technique'.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 09-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,180
And then people turn their noses up at PD being magically bulletproof and Raph deflecting them really weirdly...

I guess it's kind of the same reasoning for me. I just prefer a more down to earth TMNT. There's already been plenty of other (non TMNT) shows with silly powers and junk. The ninja tribunal stuff is fun in a way, for a late series thing for one season, but it's not what I want for an entire series. (And at least in that one they appeared to lose the powers after the final battle in that arc.) I mean if you're just going to have powers, then why even be ninjas... Risking a lot of Mary Sue territory. I prefer the Turtles having to work hard for all they have and do and within the confines of how life works on planet Earth; deep down not really all that different than the humans they live alongside.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-06-2017 at 01:54 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior
 
Splinter the boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Jutsu is NOT just a Naruto term, it is an actual Japanese tern that means 'technique'.
I was referring to all the other things you said. Look at what i quoted.


Anyway, I wouldn't mind magic as long as it's done properly and the people don't get carried away
__________________
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And then people turn their noses up at PD being magically bulletproof and Raph deflecting them really weirdly...

I guess it's kind of the same reasoning for me. I just prefer a more down to earth TMNT. There's already been plenty of other (non TMNT) shows with silly powers and junk. The ninja tribunal stuff is fun in a way, for a late series thing for one season, but it's not what I want for an entire series. I mean if you're just going to have powers, then why even be ninjas... Risking a lot of Mary Sue territory. I prefer the Turtles having to work hard for all they have and do and within the confines of how life works on planet Earth; deep down not really all that different than the humans they live alongside.
The problem is.. these 'silly powers' have always been a part of ninja folklore and storytelling, Ninja techniques are supposed to blur the line between martial arts and 'magic'. Ninjas without powers are extremely rare in ninja fiction.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
I was referring to all the other things you said. Look at what i quoted.


Anyway, I wouldn't mind magic as long as it's done properly and the people don't get carried away
The other things aren't just Naruto, either. All those abilities (water walk, elemental powers, image duplicates, etc.) are traditional ninja 'magic tricks' from long before Naruto
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 24,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Naruto fan?
None of that was created/owned/popularized by Naruto. Ew.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,232
What on earth is Naruto? I mean I know what it is, but since when did that series have any meaning?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
PApagreg
Stone Warrior
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
None of that was created/owned/popularized by Naruto. Ew.
The popularized part is debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What on earth is Naruto? I mean I know what it is, but since when did that series have any meaning?
Since like 2005

OT, I personally prefer my turtles to be more down to earth, I'm personally okay with spirit projections and advance technology but I sort of draw the line when it comes to walking on water or summoning giant toads.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What on earth is Naruto? I mean I know what it is, but since when did that series have any meaning?
Not sure what you mean, do you mean impact or relevance?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The problem is.. these 'silly powers' have always been a part of ninja folklore and storytelling, Ninja techniques are supposed to blur the line between martial arts and 'magic'. Ninjas without powers are extremely rare in ninja fiction.
I don't care if they tap into folklore, if it looks at real life behind it, but not fiction... But the Turtles already kind of touch on that stuff with various tricks of the trade already via cunning skills, not actual unearthly magic.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not sure what you mean, do you mean impact or relevance?
I know what the show/manga is, but I just don't get what the point is. It always came across as a faux-Dragonball Z successor that only became successful because of a new bunch of young teens in the early 2000's needed another fighting shonen fix.

Naruto was "after my time" as I was already 20 by the time it started, so I never got into it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I know what the show/manga is, but I just don't get what the point is. It always came across as a faux-Dragonball Z successor that only became successful because of a new bunch of young teens in the early 2000's needed another fighting shonen fix.

Naruto was "after my time" as I was already 20 by the time it started, so I never got into it.
It's the Dragonball Z for a generation younger than you. People grow up with different things.

"Back in my day we had to walk to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways! You kids today with your smartphones and your hoverboards don't know how hard we had it! My childhood was more valid than yours! Wah!"
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
panda_cuck_fan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.