The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

24 reasons the 1990 TMNT and Batman Returns are the same movie

Just found this and thought I put it here, since I'm sure all this can be debated.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Of all of the Batman movies I really don't like Batman Returns. It forces a dark edginess down you throats that is not natural like it is in the Nolan trilogy while the TMNT(1990) film has a natural edginess to it while still having same fun elements. Love both TMNT and Batman. Love TMNT(1990) and dislike Batman Returns. I just cannot agree with this video.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Batman Returns was critically acclaimed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Maybe but it's still a weird movie. Never noticed it as a kid but watching it as an adult it's just messed up man. The circus gang, batman smiling while blowing people up, penguin drooling black goo, catwoman's "death" scene (pick one) and just Christopher walken period.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Of all of the Batman movies I really don't like Batman Returns. It forces a dark edginess down you throats that is not natural like it is in the Nolan trilogy while the TMNT(1990) film has a natural edginess to it while still having same fun elements. Love both TMNT and Batman. Love TMNT(1990) and dislike Batman Returns. I just cannot agree with this video.
Yeah I agree there. I really dislike Batman Returns. The first film got it perfect but the sequel with total control Burton went to far. Everything in the film feels forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Not every critic liked it but it did ok. The Box Office wasn't great though due to the complaints people had with the movie and the studio did the right thing by lightening the tone somewhat with Batman Forever.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I'm sure there is a parallel universe or alternate dimension that exists where these two movies are the same, but not this one. Talk about a stretch. "Hehehe, hey guys, TMNT has the song Tequila in it and so does Pee Wee's Big Adventure." That means TMNT is just like Batman Returns?

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 06-01-2017 at 09:29 AM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Critically acclaimed doesn't mean you have to like the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yeah I agree there. I really dislike Batman Returns. The first film got it perfect but the sequel with total control Burton went to far. Everything in the film feels forced.

Not every critic liked it but it did ok. The Box Office wasn't great though due to the complaints people had with the movie and the studio did the right thing by lightening the tone somewhat with Batman Forever.
Would you guys say that there's a limit to how dark a Batman story could be? Also what are your personal preferences towards tones in terms of Batman?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Would you guys say that there's a limit to how dark a Batman story could be? Also what are your personal preferences towards tones in terms of Batman?
The 1989 Batman and Batman Forever is how they should do the movies. The Chris Nolan movies and Zack Snyder movie go far into one direction, the 1997 movie went in the complete opposite direction. Batman Returns was too up itself. In terms of the story, style and character the movies I mentioned before is the way to go. Like everything that's just my opinion and I'm sure many are going to criticise me for not immediately accepting the Chris Nolan movies as Bible.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Haven't seen Batman Returns in its entirety in awhile, but I really like it.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

Than I guess Batman and Robin was the best Batman movie ever right?
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't mind Returns that much other than Batman/Bruce himself didn't really have a character arc in it. He's exactly the same person at the end as he was at the beginning. It's sort of like, Batman 89 was Burton's audition to be able to really make the kind of Batman movie he wanted to, and it ended up being Returns.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't mind Returns that much other than Batman/Bruce himself didn't really have a character arc in it. He's exactly the same person at the end as he was at the beginning. It's sort of like, Batman 89 was Burton's audition to be able to really make the kind of Batman movie he wanted to, and it ended up being Returns.
I think Batman works well as a static character. Batman Returns is definitely a story about the villains, and I think that same attitude carried over into a lot of episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. Still... I couldn't believe Batman ripped his mask off at the end, in front of Catwoman and Max and who knows who else.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #13
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think Batman works well as a static character. Batman Returns is definitely a story about the villains, and I think that same attitude carried over into a lot of episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. Still... I couldn't believe Batman ripped his mask off at the end, in front of Catwoman and Max and who knows who else.
That was him revealing himself to Selina Kyle, trying to "save" her I guess. That was the only real change for Batman. Plus Shrek woulda died anyway, and considering all of the dirt Batman had on him if he had survived then he's going to jail.
I did really enjoy Returns and is my fave of the BurtonVerse (yeah its weird and everyone is changed from their origins but I really enjoyed it.)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Than I guess Batman and Robin was the best Batman movie ever right?
Next to Batman Returns it was probably the worst.