The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Have hipsters become too mainstream?

Hipsters.

Not sure exactly when this term came out, but I didn't hear of it until like 2009-2010, so I'm gonna guess it became a popular term around that time?

What is a hipster, exactly? Let's ask the Urban Dictionary, shall we?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hipster

Quote:
"Hipsters are a subculture of American consumer for whom the idea behind the marketing holds more value than the product being marketed.

The attachment of certain words, phrases or ideas to a product (e.g.; counter-culture, independent or "indie", progressive, alternative or "alt", organic, holistic, "old-school", etc.) whether that product is music, fashion, technology, food, social media or real estate, is enough to connote to the hipster "authenticity" and value, regardless of whether there is any innate value to be found.

Ironically, the hipster perceives him/herself as the counterpoint to mass-culture and conformity when, in fact the ease with which hipster "culture" can be appropriated, repackaged and marketed makes them the ultimate conformists (e.g.; tattoos were once a sign of rebellion and a badge of one's outsider status, now over 40% of all Americans under 50 have a tattoo, essentially making them all members of the same tribe.)"
So yeah, basically, when I think of the label "hipster" these images immediately come to my mind:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The irony of this is, hipsters are pretty mainstream by now. And liking less popular things shouldn't make you a "hipster", imo.

I notice hipsters tend to be really elitist and pretentious when it comes to music. As in, if you're over 20 years old don't you dare to rate classic rock bands such as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin highly, because that means you listen to "dad rock" and thus are lame. Only indie rock bands are cool, guys! It's like a timewarp back in time to our HS days, where you had to dislike everything your parents liked in order to look cool.

But yeah, labels are labels and there's never a strict definition. That being said, people who tend to fit the hipster label the most tend to either be artists or work in IT... what's with hipsters and IT, anyway? It's like 4 out of 10 25-32 year old American/Canadian guys I run into online seem to work in IT and dress like the two guys above. And they all love all sorts of weird coffee I've never heard of.

Beards are cool, though. But hardly exclusive to hipsters.

But really, in a more lighthearted tone now, are you a hipster yourself? Do you know many? Do you think it's ironic how they've become too mainstream? Do you like their fashion sense? Do you find them pretentious?

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

The two pics you posted look like people I see walking on the street every day. It's just the norm now.

Nowadays everyone wants to look unique and express themselves. Nobody wants to be an, "average joe." Alternate lifestyles and looks are now the new norm. Same reason you see women dye their hair blue, purple, pink, etc. or anime looking hair colors when you used to never see that back in the day.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The two pics you posted look like people I see walking on the street every day. It's just the norm now.

Nowadays everyone wants to look unique and express themselves. Nobody wants to be an, "average joe." Alternate lifestyles and looks are now the new norm. Same reason you see women dye their hair blue, purple, pink, etc. or anime looking hair colors when you used to never see that back in the day.
Well that's the thing. Hipsters were originally supposed to be counter-culture and anti-mainstream but now are rather common. They've become just another major sub-culture just like hip-hoppers, punk rockers, potheads, and metalheads.

Flannel shirts still remind me of lumberjacks, though

I don't think women dying their hair blue, purple, pink or green is still anywhere near the norm. I don't see that often where I live, at least.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, they're everywhere in Seattle.

Everywhere.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, they're everywhere in Seattle.

Everywhere.
Well is n't that the city where grunge music was born? Makes sense, I suppose.

What about you, Andrew? Are you a hipster or not really?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What about you, Andrew? Are you a hipster or not really?
No, not remotely. I'm more on the... old school, hip hop side of the spectrum.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
No, not remotely. I'm more on the... old school, hip hop side of the spectrum.
I figured you weren't at all. I was just messing

Ah I see. Well, if I had to label myself, I'd say metalhead. But I don't sport longer hair anymore(getting a bit too old for that) nor do I have tattoos or earrings/piercings. I just own several metal band t-shirts and a few hoodies. I look like an average joe out there and don't really stand out in public.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I figured you weren't at all. I was just messing

Quote:
Ah I see. Well, if I had to label myself, I'd say metalhead. But I don't sport longer hair anymore(getting a bit too old for that) nor do I have tattoos or earrings/piercings. I just own several metal band t-shirts and a few hoodies. I look like an average joe out there and don't really stand out in public.
Tattoos, check. Earrings/piercings, check. A lot of long T-shirts and hoodies (or when it gets really cold, a hoodie on top of a hoodie) in the fall and winter, a lot of tanktops and such in the summer, stylish jeans (not overly baggy but not skinny jeans either), long shorts, Jordans and Converse and that sort of thing.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/YNEpBZC0Ly08M/giphy.gif

Tattoos, check. Earrings/piercings, check. A lot of long T-shirts and hoodies (or when it gets really cold, a hoodie on top of a hoodie) in the fall and winter, a lot of tanktops and such in the summer, stylish jeans (not overly baggy but not skinny jeans either), long shorts, Jordans and Converse and that sort of thing.
Ah well I wear blue jeans. Used to own a pair of really dark blue/black jeans like metalheads tend to wear, but they eventually became too old and worn out and had to throw them away.

I wear sneakers/tennis shoes most of the time except on rainy days where I wear boots. My last sneakers were Puma running shoes(useful to run after the bus or the metro). Currently I own a pair of ASICS.

My t-shirts and sweaters/hoodies are usually metal band related or just plain and dark blue/black. I'd like some video game themed t-shirts though.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I wear sneakers/tennis shoes most of the time except on rainy days where I wear boots. My last sneakers were Puma running shoes(useful to run after the bus or the metro). Currently I own a pair of ASICS.
ASICS do make great running shoes, I have a pair. Them or Brooks is ideal.

Quote:
My t-shirts and sweaters/hoodies are usually metal band related or just plain and dark blue/black. I'd like some video game themed t-shirts though.
My "geek" shirts are pretty limited these days. Definitely a couple of Mirage TMNT shirts make the cut, and a Green Lantern shirt or two.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
ASICS do make great running shoes, I have a pair. Them or Brooks is ideal.

My "geek" shirts are pretty limited these days. Definitely a couple of Mirage TMNT shirts make the cut, and a Green Lantern shirt or two.
Thing is, I don't even run. I just like the feel of running shoes. They make it easier for me to walk faster. Theyre light and not heavy at all.

I own a TMNT t-shirt... Fred Wolf, though. I used it mostly to sleep. It got some stains I can't remove. Bet you're thinking now "HAHAHA SERVES YOU RIGHT"
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Sumac
Banned

Every counter-culture becomes mainstream sooner or later. It had happened with heavy metal / rock, it had happened with rap. It had happened with hipsters.
Nothing to see here really.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hipsters have been mainstream for quite a long while now. What's the latest counter-culture thing happening fashion wise at least. I see tons of hipsters all the time as well. I also see a lot of 90s like outfits now too and colors.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

As a dude with a beard, thick framed glasses, & a history of wearing flannel shirts/beanies, I have been falsely accused of being a 'hipster' before. But I've been rocking the same stuff for most of my life, it's not some ironic alt sh*t for me. Eazy-E & John Goodman made flannel cool as heck to me as a kid, & I've stuck with it. I don't like bloggers, coffee, local beer, thrift stores, gentrification, vinyl records, or most other things closely associated with the stereotypical 'hipster'.

Or maybe this is just an aspect of myself in which I lack self-awareness. I do like obscure music, urban loitering, dated slang, retro aesthetics, somewhat taking pride in being kind of a misfit, but again, these are just things that appealed to me from early on in life, they weren't things I consciously aligned with to seem cool or unique. I dunno. I feel like that's the difference between a hipster & someone who simply identifies with counter-culture, the former is sort of choosing how to be different, following the anti-trend trends, if that makes sense. Ironic posers or whatever.

I haven't encountered many in real life & I'm generally a live & let live person anyways. I will say I'm not a fan of the like... 1920's pseudo-gentleman look, where they rock short pants & big curly-tip mustaches, they also usually seem to be into "bacon culture" for some reason?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
they also usually seem to be into "bacon culture" for some reason?
I’m guessing bacon as in the food and not the actor. The food right?

For some reason I imagine hipsters living in the suburbs or around urban areas. I think of Portland when I think of hipsters. I can’t imagine a hipster living in rural Idaho or Wyoming but I’m sure it’s possible. Also I picture someone between the ages of say 16-36.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Every counter-culture becomes mainstream sooner or later. It had happened with heavy metal / rock, it had happened with rap. It had happened with hipsters.
Nothing to see here really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Hipsters have been mainstream for quite a long while now. What's the latest counter-culture thing happening fashion wise at least. I see tons of hipsters all the time as well. I also see a lot of 90s like outfits now too and colors.
Which makes you wonder when the trend will die out and a new one will come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As a dude with a beard, thick framed glasses, & a history of wearing flannel shirts/beanies, I have been falsely accused of being a 'hipster' before. But I've been rocking the same stuff for most of my life, it's not some ironic alt sh*t for me. Eazy-E & John Goodman made flannel cool as heck to me as a kid, & I've stuck with it. I don't like bloggers, coffee, local beer, thrift stores, gentrification, vinyl records, or most other things closely associated with the stereotypical 'hipster'.

Or maybe this is just an aspect of myself in which I lack self-awareness. I do like obscure music, urban loitering, dated slang, retro aesthetics, somewhat taking pride in being kind of a misfit, but again, these are just things that appealed to me from early on in life, they weren't things I consciously aligned with to seem cool or unique. I dunno. I feel like that's the difference between a hipster & someone who simply identifies with counter-culture, the former is sort of choosing how to be different, following the anti-trend trends, if that makes sense. Ironic posers or whatever.

I haven't encountered many in real life & I'm generally a live & let live person anyways. I will say I'm not a fan of the like... 1920's pseudo-gentleman look, where they rock short pants & big curly-tip mustaches, they also usually seem to be into "bacon culture" for some reason?
Yeah, you might "look like a hipster" but you're definitely not someone I'd call a hipster. A lot of guys wear glasses and sport beards. A hipster to me is someone I associate with things you mentioned such as coffee, thrift stores, gentrification, etc. And also someone who works in IT. What's with hipsters being "techies"?

Nothing wrong with liking retro and less popular stuff. I like a lot of that stuff as well and I'm by no means a hipster.

As for gentrification... ok while it rehabilitates bad areas/neighbourhoods it also brings a lot of stuff that kills the identity of a city/area as well. Sadly this is happening in many parts of Europe and my city has been going through this process in the past few years with its historical centre losing more and more identity and paving way for hotels, corporations, etc. It will probably happen to other places in a few years as well. Wouldn't say hipsters are the only ones ot blame for this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I’m guessing bacon as in the food and not the actor. The food right?

For some reason I imagine hipsters living in the suburbs or around urban areas. I think of Portland when I think of hipsters. I can’t imagine a hipster living in rural Idaho or Wyoming but I’m sure it’s possible. Also I picture someone between the ages of say 16-36.
Yeah, hipsters tend to be big city folk and of an upper-middle class background. And they tend to be young as well. And like I've said, they seem to have a tendency to work in IT. It's like they mix their artistry with technology or something. IT seems to be the hot field young people are aiming for these days. Maybe it's where all the jobs/money is nowadays.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #17
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

I think the bigger question here is, do these individuals truly have "hipster" interests or are they trying to fit in and be cool? ...It's amazing sometimes how the real world is more or less just a macrocosm of high school, with cliques, trying to fit in or stand out, attention-seeking behavior, social peer pressure, etc.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 06-07-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
I think the bigger question here is, do these individuals truly have "hipster" interests or are they trying to fit in and be cool? ...It's amazing sometimes how the real world is more or less just a macrocosm of high school, with cliques, trying to fit in or stand out, attention-seeking behavior, social peer pressure, etc.
Yeah, we all know how humans love trends and want to fit in.

Sometimes it does feel like we've never left HS.