The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Another Harley movie being discussed with Warners

DCEU Mythic
@DCEUMythic
ยท
2h
Warner Has Begun Early Discussions About a New Project Featuring Harley Quinn
https://dceumythic.com/2020/05/28/wa...turing-harley/ https://pic.twitter.com/azCsMqAjD8
Old 05-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Dope. Birds of Prey was pretty fun, so I hope it's in the same vein as that.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

DC has so many great characters they are sitting on that would make great movies. But no lets give Harley more movies
Old 05-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Uh-huh... And why exactly is it a good idea to make a sequel to Birds of Prey? I kinda liked it (until everyone got together at the abandonned amusement park) but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bad movie. Maybe it didn't suck as hard as BvS but that's kind of a low bar for comparison and it's still worse than Shazam, Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Harley is annoying, the plot is stupid, the stylistic choices don't work, too many jokes fall flat and once everyone's together it's clear how little chemistry they have.

That and... Well... It didn't make money, it's a flop. I know this year sucks for movies but a flop is a flop. A ton of movies have gotten moved to next year and the movies getting digital releases instead of being pushed ahead is dogshit like Scoob, the kind of trash that would likely bomb anyway.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is this kind of like how Supergirl and now Batwoman keep having sinking ratings to abysmal levels yet keep getting new seasons?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I can't say that I'm surprised. She seems to be rising up there with Batman in terms of exposure. I'm calling it, I would not be surprised if Rocksteady's next project is a HQ game with the gameplay based off of her DLC from Arkham Knight.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Harley is a AAA antihero now after being made popular with sexy cosplay basically so this is no surprise, I'm guessing they'll try something different than both SS and BoP.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #8
Sumac
Banned

I assume that its either lack of brains or abundance of blowjobs involved in this decision.
Because, I just don't see why anyone would greenlit new Harley movie after spectacular failure of previous two.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:12 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

TO BE FAIR...

"Suicide Squad" made 4.2 times its budget and won an Oscar.

I'd never try and argue as to whether anyone should like it or not, but to say it "failed" is objectively false. It only failed critically. It did earn money and win awards, whether anyone likes it or not. I even did the math, just to be sure. People can hate it, though, it's just not a "failure" by the usual standard criteria.

"Birds of Prey", however, barely earned any money and is unlikely to "win" anything but Razzies and such. That one, objectively, was very much a failure. So why rush to do more? I kinda agree that Margot might be blowin' someone. But I have no evidence to that. Just what my gut tells me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Oscars and high gross do not always mean success.
I think, the only big movie series, which continued to trudge forward, despite criticism were Bayformers and Terminator. And both eventually died for it.

On the other had, it is WB - kings of hilarious decisions.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Harley Fvcking Quinn.

This time with Poison Ivy, in the desperate attempt to make that Suicide Squad money.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Am I in the wrong for thinking of Harley Quinn as nothing more than Joker's stooge and not comprehending her popularity?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Am I in the wrong for thinking of Harley Quinn as nothing more than Joker's stooge and not comprehending her popularity?
Yes, you are wrong.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I prefer her as Joker's stooge. I may disagree with a lot of the New Batman Adventures, but the one thing I appreciate is how Dini ended her story, in that she never really stopped being with The Joker and once he was gone, she went sane, moved on, had kids, then grandkids, and grew old gracefully. She didn't stay manic. She didn't stay with Ivy. She just became normal.

The Batman and Harley movie tried contradicting that just a little by revealing Harley did leave The Joker, to such an extent it could be seen as an alternative happier ending to the New Batman Adventures era...which is nice enough (seriously, the future for Bruce in Batman Beyond is just depresssing edgelord garbage), but if it's supposed to be in continuity, it makes her sudden willingness to go back to Joker and aid in a mind-rape of Tim Drake just jarring.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
Vegita-San
Emperor

I agree about bruce.

that's why I Had no problems with the ending of rise. He escapes the trap of Batman, fakes his own death, and lives a happy life with catwoman. can't get much better than that.

in the cartoon, he could have had a relationship with diana, or magic lady (name escapes me at the moment)....but chose not too for the agenda. ugh.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
he could have had a relationship with diana, or magic lady (name escapes me at the moment)
Zatana

And this is also why I will die on a hill for Tom King. Most of his later work on the book was too dreary, but he absolutely nailed it with his ending for Bruce...he'd carry on the agenda, but he'd find happiness with Selina and have a kid before succumbing to cancer.

I combine that with the nice coda Neil Gaiman gave him, that Bruce's 'reward' for being Batman is to forever reincarnate across the multiverse as Batman
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The way the Dick/Barbara relationship may or may not go makes me want to not look past the first 85 episodes. I also wish Mr. Freeze's story ended with Subzero. Of the endings Harley's was about the best. It just feels like if I dismissed Harley as like a henchman character like say Bebop I am wrong because of women's lib and abuse Joker may put her through.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I prefer her as Joker's stooge. I may disagree with a lot of the New Batman Adventures, but the one thing I appreciate is how Dini ended her story, in that she never really stopped being with The Joker and once he was gone, she went sane, moved on, had kids, then grandkids, and grew old gracefully. She didn't stay manic. She didn't stay with Ivy. She just became normal.
That's not at all how mental illness works. Might make for a fictional "Happily Ever After" but again, by all evidence the character of Harleen Quinzel is severely mentally ill and those people don't ever "just become normal".

Same applies for the Bruce Wayne character. Lots of people want to give him a "happy ending" because they like the character, but that's also not very realistic whatsoever. Bruce Wayne is also severely mentally ill, he just channels it more productively than some. But the same compulsion that drives him to be Batman in the first place, to train teen sidekicks and throw them at armed grown-up criminals as decoys, to keep secret files on how to disable and/or kill every member of the Justice League, and so on and so forth, would simply never allow him to walk away from it. SOME super-hero characters might have the capacity to retire to a normal life, but Bruce Wayne, specifically, is not one of them. He became Batman out of a childish wish to "stop crime", so that what happened to him as a kid would literally never happen to anyone ever again. And then he actually spends his whole life applying himself to that patently ridiculous notion, spending ungodly amounts of money, time and effort on it, to the point where even his peers think he's entirely disturbed. These are not the wish-fulfillment fantasies of a well-adjusted person, nor are they things which can be turned On and Off like a light switch.

He gets crippled or dies on the job. That's the only non-fairy tale ending that character can have, unless you completely ignore about 80% of his history and personality traits. Mentally ill people do not simply "become normal" because they get older or learn life lessons. And both Harleen Quinzel and Bruce Wayne's characters are severely mentally ill. He's too driven, and she's a F*cking loon.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:42 AM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's not at all how mental illness works. Might make for a fictional "Happily Ever After" but again, by all evidence the character of Harleen Quinzel is severely mentally ill and those people don't ever "just become normal".

Same applies for the Bruce Wayne character. Lots of people want to give him a "happy ending" because they like the character, but that's also not very realistic whatsoever. Bruce Wayne is also severely mentally ill, he just channels it more productively than some. But the same compulsion that drives him to be Batman in the first place, to train teen sidekicks and throw them at armed grown-up criminals as decoys, to keep secret files on how to disable and/or kill every member of the Justice League, and so on and so forth, would simply never allow him to walk away from it. SOME super-hero characters might have the capacity to retire to a normal life, but Bruce Wayne, specifically, is not one of them. He became Batman out of a childish wish to "stop crime", so that what happened to him as a kid would literally never happen to anyone ever again. And then he actually spends his whole life applying himself to that patently ridiculous notion, spending ungodly amounts of money, time and effort on it, to the point where even his peers think he's entirely disturbed. These are not the wish-fulfillment fantasies of a well-adjusted person, nor are they things which can be turned On and Off like a light switch.

He gets crippled or dies on the job. That's the only non-fairy tale ending that character can have, unless you completely ignore about 80% of his history and personality traits. Mentally ill people do not simply "become normal" because they get older or learn life lessons. And both Harleen Quinzel and Bruce Wayne's characters are severely mentally ill. He's too driven, and she's a F*cking loon.
I mean, if anything, The Dark Knight Returns proves Bruce just can't leave it alone, even in old age. He might have brief 'retirement periods' but he'll continue to wear the cape and cowl til he dies on the job.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:26 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I disagree with much of what's in that book, or at least how it's put across, but I definitely liked their interpretation of Bruce as a uniquely driven individual who simply wouldn't have it in him to assume a "normal life" when it would mean turning a blind eye to bad things happening every day that he could have, in theory, prevented. One of the threads that links the Superman and Batman characters is that they both share this particular compulsion. They're each sworn to not allow anything bad or horrific to happen if it was at all in their power to prevent it. Bruce in particular takes this about a hundred miles farther than most, if things like Brother Eye are any indication.

I like a good Happily Ever After as much as anyone, but for some people it doesn't fit. For some characters, "being normal" would mean turning a blind eye to preventable tragedy, tragedy they specifically could have prevented, and that's fundamentally against who they are as people. Like, Green Arrow was more of a thrillseeker than a crusading angel of justice. Green Arrow would retire and settle down with a wife and kids and a picket fence. Bruce Wayne wouldn't. That's kind of the tragedy of the character.

That's my big gripe with Nolan's Batman movies, even though I love them and they're mostly-great. But they kind of totally misunderstood who Bruce Wayne was and why he's Batman in the first place. First movie nailed it, then they started going off the reservation with the second one. And if you just shrug and say, "Well, it's different", then it's fine, they're still good movies. It's just, like, the least-plausible way the whole "Batman Story" would ever end, if you know anything about why he's Batman in the first place, that's all.