The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Vid Vicious

I have been rereading through Archie's TMNT Adventures run in the last month and I have recently read the two issues with the character Vid Vicious. An obvious pun on 70's rocker Sid Vicious saw a man in a bayou cabin angry at the news report detailing the worsening Ozone situation and space pollution causing an American satellite to crash in his backyard. It's almost like he merged with the television set with a toxic version of mutagen, but it is never explained. Steve and Ryan amp up their preachy environmentalism with this villain who kidnaps April to force her to report on the environmental crisis. His disorientation with his powers have him and Donatello trapped inside a data file. Like Beserko in the 1987 cartoon he is upstaged by The Shredder making a comeback and forgotten. He is in the following issue #22 just to be let out of the data file and he flies off. He does not team up with Shredder and is never heard from again. It's just weird to have such a build up and an origin to never get him a name or any follow up. He just flies off. Was there ever meant to be any follow up with this character and was he just used to set up The Shredder?
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Vid_Vicious

A side note is a one off by comic industry notable Gene Colan, made me want to see more of his Turtles art in #22.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

He used to creep me out big time as a kid, no idea why. It's indeed weird that there was never any follow-up on the character. Wasn't he supposed to resurface in Forever War, though? Or am I imagining things? I could swear I once saw some of the original unused art for that arc with him in it.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
LUIS
Random Punk

Maybe he doesn't show up again because he was pretty lame, even by early Adventure's standars.
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
He used to creep me out big time as a kid, no idea why. It's indeed weird that there was never any follow-up on the character. Wasn't he supposed to resurface in Forever War, though? Or am I imagining things? I could swear I once saw some of the original unused art for that arc with him in it.
I have not seen a cast list for Forever War. I actually asked about it after seeing Scumbug and Wyrm were are supposed to be dead. However, I don't remember Vid Vicious in any teaser. I just found it strange how this was the perfect poster character for the creative team's environmentalism push and instead of working with The Shredder he just flies off never to be heard of again. You would think it would have been mentioned that the Turtles captured him off panel atleast perhaps around #26 or #27. It does have an interesting design. He is not a character I am raving to see again I was just curious of closure with the character is all. I wondered if Steve had meant for that to be it or if there were plans that never saw print. There is always Forever War, but I don't know how he would fit in, granted I don't know how Scumbug or Wyrm do either.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It is a shame V.V. fell into obscurity almost as quickly as he appeared. Makes you wonder if Murphy had big plans for him that never materialized or if he just thought up a crazy idea and didn't have any more thoughts on what to do with him.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It is a shame V.V. fell into obscurity almost as quickly as he appeared. Makes you wonder if Murphy had big plans for him that never materialized or if he just thought up a crazy idea and didn't have any more thoughts on what to do with him.
Do you know a way to contact the creative team? I have a few questions for them about the series that cannot be answer med with, " wait until Forever War is released".

I do like the costume design for Vicious. Some are meant to be one-offs it's just did not seem like it for Vid Vicuous.

Also, this makes me want to have seen Gene Colan do more than a random issue of TMNT Adventures. Some of the best art I have seen of the Turtles by the one-time Batman artist.