The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 3 14 51.85%
Super Mario World 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. Super Mario World

That's right, I went there. I'm asking something that, to many, is of the toughest questions ever in gaming history. Which game do you think is better: Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES or Super Mario World for the SNES?

Let's break it down:

Graphics: ...well SMB 3 is a slightly older game and it's for the NES, an 8-bit console, so ofc SMW is gonna have better graphics than it. That being said, SMB3 has pretty great graphics for an NES game.

Gameplay: Well, Mario games always have good control, but I find SMW to have more polished gameplay overall. The control just feels perfect in that game. As for the powerups, SMB 3 was more creative in that regard and had a wide variety of powerups such as the frog and the Tanuki suits. But SMW, on the other hand, compensated a lot for having Yoshi and the cape.

Challenge/Difficulty: SMB 3 is a harder game overall and I think everyone agrees with me on this one. Super Mario World is a fairly accessible game. The hardest levels in Super Mario World are in the Star World and Special World. I've beaten SMW countless times and haven't been able to beat SMB 3 after all these years yet.

Mini-games: Mario 3 wins by a landslide. World didn't have mini-games asides the switch palaces. Mario 3 had mini-games in every world where you could gain 1UPs, and it also had a Hammer Bros. stage or two per each world.

Boss fights: Super Mario World has better boss fights overall, imo.

Haunted houses: Introduced in SMW. SMB 3 didn't have them.

Secrets: World wins here. I mean, the game was built around finding every single secret exit. That's the most challenging aspect of the game, actually, and not beating it per se. You can skip the final "world" if you beat the star world early on and jump right onto Bowser.

Replay value: Well, Super Mario World is arguably my most played game of all time, but considering how much more I die in SMB 3 and have to go all the way back(without save states obviously...) once it's game over, that means SMB3 also has very high replay value. Both have equally high replay value in different ways: Super Mario World for the sheer fun of the game itself and Super Mario Bros. 3 for the challenge/difficulty of the game. The sense of accomplishment when you beat a world in SMB3 is higher than in SMW.

Level design: Well this one is difficult. Mario games tend to be equal as far as great level design goes. Although I think SMB3 has some genius levels latter on in the game while World seems to focus more on detailed backgrounds and adding more enemies to make levels harder. It seems to me developers used their creativity mostly in the star and special worlds.

So, overall, I think SMB3 is more challenging and has more variety than Super Mario World does. However, World is arguably my favourite game ever, so I can't help but go back to it more often. But I ask you in this thread which game do you think is better overall. And I'm undecided but leaning more towards SMB3. Super Mario World is considered the greatest Mario adventure ever by many... but SMB 3 was also a pretty damn large adventure/game, don't you think? World's world(hah funny!) does win on graphics and presentation, which definitely adds to the experience, but SMB 3 makes you work harder to beat levels.

So, what about you? What's your pick?

Last edited by Prowler; 05-26-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I vote Super Mario Bros 3 for nostalgia reasons as I played it alot in my childhood and remember it fondly for the power Ups, the music, and the gameplay.

I also like Super Mario World alot but didn't play it anywhere as much so I don't have as much of a connection to it
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I vote Super Mario Bros 3 for nostalgia reasons as I played it alot in my childhood and remember it fondly for the power Ups, the music, and the gameplay.

I also like Super Mario World alot but didn't play it anywhere as much so I don't have as much of a connection to it
That's interesting because I played the 3 NES Super Mario Bros. games before playing World, but ended up liking World more. Then again, World was an easier game than any of the NES Mario games even when I was a kid and thus still a bad player. So I guess I ended up playing World more because I had trouble going far in SMB 3. But when we got Super Mario Advance 4 for the GBA I played SMB 3 again and this time got quite far in it ad thus began seeing what most of the game was like.

I've never gotten around to beat it, however. The last world is literally hell.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I never got to play our NES copy of SMB3 because it was my brother's favourite game and he was possessive of it. I've only played emulation/ports and while I enjoyed it, I never understood why people slobbered all over it, it wasn't that great for me. Since you pointed it out, it got me thinking that it's probably the difficulty that turns me off, but I didn't play it all the way through so I don't remember it being particularly hard.

SMW on the other hand I have extremely fond memories of. Yoshi was what got me to start drawing, the music is what made me want to learn to whistle, and if I had somehow skipped this one I don't think I'd even like video games as much as I do now. It was hugely influential on me. I considered SMW my favourite video game for a very long time and if I had to define my early childhood with a single video game there's no doubt this one would be it
Old 05-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I never got to play our NES copy of SMB3 because it was my brother's favourite game and he was possessive of it. I've only played emulation/ports and while I enjoyed it, I never understood why people slobbered all over it, it wasn't that great for me. Since you pointed it out, it got me thinking that it's probably the difficulty that turns me off, but I didn't play it all the way through so I don't remember it being particularly hard.

SMW on the other hand I have extremely fond memories of. Yoshi was what got me to start drawing, the music is what made me want to learn to whistle, and if I had somehow skipped this one I don't think I'd even like video games as much as I do now. It was hugely influential on me. I considered SMW my favourite video game for a very long time and if I had to define my early childhood with a single video game there's no doubt this one would be it
I get what you mean. Super Mario World is just magical and is also unarguably one of the very few games that I could play in 20 years from now and still love it as much as I used to back when I was a kid. However, I can't ignore how great of a game SMB 3 was as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's interesting because I played the 3 NES Super Mario Bros. games before playing World, but ended up liking World more. Then again, World was an easier game than any of the NES Mario games even when I was a kid and thus still a bad player. So I guess I ended up playing World more because I had trouble going far in SMB 3. But when we got Super Mario Advance 4 for the GBA I played SMB 3 again and this time got quite far in it ad thus began seeing what most of the game was like.

I've never gotten around to beat it, however. The last world is literally hell.
It also be that I played the GBA port of SMB 3 which could save, had better graphics and was probably easier.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It also be that I played the GBA port of SMB 3 which could save, had better graphics and was probably easier.
I played both the NES and GBA versions. And also a bit on the All-Stars versions.

Even with saves SMB 3 is still a challenging game overall. I was playing it on GBA when I was a teenager and couldn't beat it either. And died a lot of times until I reached the final world.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

SMB3 all the way. World is fantastic, but 3 is just a timeless classic. The amount of game on that cart is impressive for NES standards.
I used to hate World for some reason as a kid. I guess I thought it was ruining the franchise or something. Boy was I dumb. When I actually played it for the first time I had loads of fun. I love the game now.
But SMB3 is still my favorite between the two (SMB2 being my favorite overall) and I now know which Mario game I really need to hate: SM64.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
SMB3 all the way. World is fantastic, but 3 is just a timeless classic. The amount of game on that cart is impressive for NES standards.
I used to hate World for some reason as a kid. I guess I thought it was ruining the franchise or something. Boy was I dumb. When I actually played it for the first time I had loads of fun. I love the game now.
But SMB3 is still my favorite between the two (SMB2 being my favorite overall) and I now know which Mario game I really need to hate: SM64.
Hate?? Super Mario World?! How was that possible?

I don't hate any major Mario game at all, but my least favourite was probably Sunshine. I still liked it and was a good game overall but I guess I didn't like much how different it was from your average Mario game.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Hate?? Super Mario World?! How was that possible?
I don't know! I was a complete fool! Thankfully I'm able to appreciate that amazing game now.

What I said about SM64 still stands though.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I don't know! I was a complete fool! Thankfully I'm able to appreciate that amazing game now.

What I said about SM64 still stands though.
And why do you hate SM 64? It's been over 20 years since it came out and hasn't exactly been getting remakes/ports for every console like the older 2D Mario games did.

Also, you said your favourite Mario game was SMB2... do you mean the Doki Doki Panic like game or the Japanese SMB 2?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

World is my all time favorite Mario game.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

World. It's not even that hard of a question.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
World. It's not even that hard of a question.
Yeah. It's like, "What do you like better? The wheel, or the car?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
sdp
-

but the wheel was first and therefore better than the car which just did the same thing but better. The wheel also gets nostalgia points.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah. It's like, "What do you like better? The wheel, or the car?"
Eh no, not really? Even if you prefer a game to the other, that analogy makes it sound like World is bounds and leaps better than SMB 3, making it an average game in comparison.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Eh no, not really? Even if you prefer a game to the other, that analogy makes it sound like World is bounds and leaps better than SMB 3, making it an average game in comparison.
But it is. I think the ability to save your game alone brings it out of the stone age.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

World all day. Easy.

For anyone who really loves it, check out SMW-Central. There's a huuuge community of people making new games based in it. Romhacks or whatever.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But it is. I think the ability to save your game alone brings it out of the stone age.
Oh? I totally forgot you couldn't save at all in SMB 3. Come to think of it that's kinda weird. I mean the original LoZ had a save feature and that game is older than SMB 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
World all day. Easy.

For anyone who really loves it, check out SMW-Central. There's a huuuge community of people making new games based in it. Romhacks or whatever.
never heard of that. Seems cool.

Also lots of great Super Mario Maker levels made with Super Mario World.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I owned World as a kid, and SMB3 on All Stars eventually, but I always played it at friends' and cousins' houses who owned the NES original, and I like 3 better. More power ups (loved frog suit and hammer bros suit). More interesting worlds (Giant World was my all-time favorite). It had some difficulty, but not some of the craziness of some of the hidden Star Road levels (I'm looking at you Tubular.)

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote