The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #201
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Okay see what Sonic Mania is, is...

This bloke Christian Whitehead made his own engine for some Sonic fangames he was working on. Instead of shutting his ass down like they sadly did for the makers of Streets of Rage Remake, they got in touch with him and he provided the engine for a remake of Sonic CD. He also followed up with Sonic 1 and 2 remakes.

So it's not really based on a fangame, but rather using the same (or a similar) engine as one. And it's clearly not a bloody ROM hack like a lot of people everywhere seem to be saying.
Ya I looked him up last night and some of his videos on YouTube. As far as I see he never actually created his own entire fan game. Just parts and the mobile remakes.

I don't have a problem with them teaming up with the guy. It's nice. Sega certainly could have made the game without him.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #202
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Also I just wanna say I'm real ****ing tired of anything to do with Green Hill Zone.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #203
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Also I just wanna say I'm real ****ing tired of anything to do with Green Hill Zone.
Even the music? It's incredible!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #204
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
Even the music? It's incredible!
Hey if he's tired of it [I am] I dont' blame him. I personally have heard that damn song almost my entire life, as I'm only a few months older than the first Sonic game. I can do without it for a while.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #205
Ninjinister
無問題

Nah Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone's where it's at in terms of Sonic 1 music. Plus the boss theme.

After playing Sonic Dash for so long trying to get Classic Sonic with the Green Hill Zone music with an audible loop break... it''s gotten on my nerves. Only game I've played in recent memory where I had to mute the damn thing.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #206
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Even the music. There is way better Sonic music that barely ever gets used.

Last edited by Cure; 07-24-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #207
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

What I find interesting about Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 is that most Sonic fans share the same concerns and praise for these two games. Usually fan consensus is all over the place when a new Sonic game is announced, but almost everyone is in agreement with these games. With Sonic Mania, fans are thrilled to see a new game with the classic art style and gameplay again. With Sonic 2017, fans are happy to see a Sonic game with a genuine action adventure plot again. Any criticism fans have for these games all boils down to one thing: Nostalgia pandering.

Green Hill Zone isn’t the only “re-imagined” level returning in Sonic Mania, levels from Sonic 2, 3 and CD have been confirmed. Why do we have to play through all these levels again? Didn’t we already do this in Sonic Generations? Why can’t we have all new original levels like Studiopolis? Why is Classic Sonic in another Modern Sonic game? Boom Sonic doesn’t have to share his game with Classic Sonic, Classic Sonic doesn’t have to share his game with Modern Sonic, so what gives? It’s not like Sonic has a limited cast of characters. Instead of Classic Sonic why not Tails? Have him play just like Classic Sonic in Generations but with the ability to fly.

We’re tired of Sega constantly shacking Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone in our faces like a rattle shouting “Remember when Sonic was good!? REMEMBER WHEN SONIC WAS GOOD?!?”

Yes Sega, we do. But we don’t want new games reminding us when Sonic WAS good, we want new adventures, new games showing us that Sonic IS good. Sonic Colors, ignoring the return of classic Badniks again, was the last time we had a main Sonic game that wasn’t shouting “REMEMBER THIS!?!” That was almost 6 years ago. If we want to play Green Hill Zone again, we will go and play Sonic 1 again…or Sonic Generations…or Lego Dimentions…or the unlockable level in Sonic Adventure 2, etc.

Basically, show us that Classic and Modern Sonic can stand on their own without relying heavily on nostalgia. That’s all we really want. Despite these criticisms, almost everyone is happy with these games. Everything seems to be a big step in the right direction. If you like Classic Sonic gameplay and little story, there is Sonic Mania. If you want a 3D game that takes itself more seriously like Sonic Adventure or Unleashed, there is Sonic 2017. If you want a more comedic self-aware game there is Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. There’s basically a Sonic game for every kind of fan now.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #208
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Instead of Classic Sonic why not Tails? Have him play just like Classic Sonic in Generations but with the ability to fly.
I have nothing against Classic Sonic, he is adorable and I want to hug him but quills would impale me. That said, maybe one day we'll get player 1 controls Sonic and player 2 controls Tails again, and it'd be really ****ing nice to have this in a 3D game too, not just the 2D ones. -.-
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #209
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I have nothing against Classic Sonic either. The opening animation in Sonic CD intro is one of the most awesome things in the entire series; I love the classic games and I’m thrilled that there’s a new Classic Sonic game, but I’d rather see Classic Sonic in his own games then Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s games.

Because Classic Sonic is already getting his own game, It feels less “Classic Sonic is back!” and more “Classic Sonic is stealing Modern Sonic’s spotlight.” I’m hoping this is a one more time kind of thing. Instead of Classic Sonic again, I'd rather see Tails, Knuckles, maybe even Amy, Blaze or Shadow adapted into the boost games, kind of like how how Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Sonic Advance trilogy did it, but in 3D space with the boost formula.

Regardless, I'm just really happy have to see Sonic with a genuine action adventure game again. No forced comedy, Wisps or Green Hill Zone knockoffs in sight yet.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #210
sdp
Megan Fox = April

How many times has Mario been through 1-1 or highly inspired versions of it?
How many bands play riffs or things to remind them of their breakout albums?
How many shows/movies reference aka "pay tribute" to the past in newer incarnations?
Like it or not it happens everywhere. Sonicmania is a glorified romhack with new levels, not unlike Mega Man 9 and 10. Enjoy it for what it is or don't. It's throwing a bone to old fans who want "old" sonic since Sonic has evolved. Why is Classic Sonic back if it doesn't make sense in the new game? Same reason Rosalina is back in all future Mario games even if it makes no sense, people liked that aspect and the games are made with play mechanics in mind not story so if people love Generations and the mix of gameplay why not bring it back, I don't care if the crossover becomes a thing for every game if it's cool, who cares if it "doesn't" make sense as long as it's cool,

So who is up to date with their Sonic porting history?

I'm confused so if someone can clear things up to me...The guy making the new game is the one who ported the iOS versions of Sonic which have improvements over the old games. But what about the Steam versions, are those the same ports or are they the original roms?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #211
Ninjinister
無問題

Sonic CD is the only one on Steam that's one of the remakes. Sonic 1 and 2 are part of their collection which is just an emulator with special features.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #212
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
I have nothing against Classic Sonic either. The opening animation in Sonic CD intro is one of the most awesome things in the entire series; I love the classic games and I’m thrilled that there’s a new Classic Sonic game, but I’d rather see Classic Sonic in his own games then Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s games.

Because Classic Sonic is already getting his own game, It feels less “Classic Sonic is back!” and more “Classic Sonic is stealing Modern Sonic’s spotlight.”
Man, this is kind of a strange train of thought, at least to me. Bringing classic Sonic back for an anniversary just sounds like a celebration of the character of Sonic the Hedgehog, to me. Not like the classic version of him is stealing any spotlights.

I dunno, I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just that it doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #213
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Man, this is kind of a strange train of thought, at least to me. Bringing classic Sonic back for an anniversary just sounds like a celebration of the character of Sonic the Hedgehog, to me. Not like the classic version of him is stealing any spotlights.
Oh yeah, it make perfect sense for Classic Sonic to be there again. Don't confuse my concerns with genuine complaints. Sonic 2017 is the first 3D Sonic game I've been excited for in a while, the tone was absolutely perfect.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #214
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Oh yeah, it make perfect sense for Classic Sonic to be there again. Don't confuse my concerns with genuine complaints. Sonic 2017 is the first 3D Sonic game I've been excited for in a while, the tone was absolutely perfect.
Oh okay legit! I'm not sure what to think of this 3D game yet myself so I'll just sit back and watch for now.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #215
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@Tmnt Guy, well when you use words like "pandering to nostalgia" and "stealing a spotlight" it sounds like a complaint.

These are anniversary games so thats why Classic Sonic and Genesis era levels are being brought back. So it makes perfect sense. There's no pandering.

Mania is going to include Tails and Knuckles as playable characters. Maybe more if there's unlockables.

On a side note Sonic Mania is going to be download only. Which is a real bummer imo. I still have not played Sonic 4 because I thought they'd port them into some compilation or something. I still do...someday.

Its just a huge missed opportunity for a nice anniversary style box set or packaging. Some have said they might do a collector's edition but it really should have been physical media to begin with being an anniversary game.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #216
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I love Green Hill Zone simply because of how classic it is, but yeah, it's hard to get nostalgic over it when it's all Sega resorts to.

As for Sonic Mania itself, I think it looks pretty cool. I just wish they went with smoother updated graphics like that Sonic 2 fan remake. I'd actually like to see the original Sonic games remastered like that too someday. Anyway, this was one hell of a shocking announcement. Never saw Sega doing this in a million years.

Project Sonic 2017 looks interesting. The trailer didn't show much other than a darker tone reminiscent to Sonic '06 and the inclusion of Classic Sonic which is really awesome. I like how Sega seems to be taking their time with these games too so hopefully the time spent on this game shows. I just hope Modern Sonic doesn't follow that Unleashed formula again. I'd actually like to see a blend of Lost World's gameplay, with Sonic Adventure 2 level design, with some Unleashed styled adrenaline rushes peppered throughout.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #217
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
@Tmnt Guy, well when you use words like "pandering to nostalgia" and "stealing a spotlight" it sounds like a complaint
Fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
On a side note Sonic Mania is going to be download only. Which is a real bummer imo.
I'd agree with that. Sonic Mania isn't going to be small game either, its allegedly longer then Sonic Generations. Shame that it won't be on a Nintendo console either. I recently got a good gaming PC, so that's what I'm most likely going to play it on. But if it would get a physical release I'd definitely buy a copy.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #218
Wildcat
Foot Elite

There's talk that other people would like to bring Mania to the 3DS. Itd still most likely be download only I assume.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NX got a different Sonic exclusive but Sega can't talk about it because Nintendo has not officially revealed the console.

Thats exactly why Wii and Wii U got separate Sonic games instead of 2006 and Unleashed. Because of the difference in controls.

I know Unleashed was on Wii but that version and the PS2 one were significantly different from 360/PS3.

Last edited by Wildcat; 07-25-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #219
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Fair enough.

I'd agree with that. Sonic Mania isn't going to be small game either, its allegedly longer then Sonic Generations. Shame that it won't be on a Nintendo console either. I recently got a good gaming PC, so that's what I'm most likely going to play it on. But if it would get a physical release I'd definitely buy a copy.
They didnt put Sonic 4 Ep. 2 on the Wii either, even though Ep 1. was released on there.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #220
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
They didnt put Sonic 4 Ep. 2 on the Wii either, even though Ep 1. was released on there.
Did they really? Wow. w o w.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic