The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #41
Sumac
Banned

One of my favorites from 2nd season.
I liked the final battle between turtles and Shredder's mutants.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #42
ABrown
Banned

This episode makes me kind of sad cause it marked the end of Baxter as a main character, or at least in that season. I wish he would've stayed with Shredder and Krang through the rest of their run as the Turtles main adversaries (through the end of the 8th season).
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #43
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Call this a live commentary. I am making comments as I watch the episode.

-Two writers. That does not happen often or at all that I know of since David Wise cleared up the co-credit of his then fiancee.

-This only the second and I believe the final time the Twin Towers are involved in an episode. Do we ever learn what Shredder and Baxter are doing that involve the two towers? A force field between the towers is very vague. He mentions months of work too.

-Like the next episode there is a dimensional interference that serves as a plot point. Its just a coincidence that the two times it happens its consecutive episodes and not continuity. One thing that is not mentioned in the 'need of an exchange' was for two to crossover two would have to cross over to the other side. The fly from the garbage boat is the second being.

-I like how Shredder states he will strike at their weakest point April O'Neil. The cliche of her being repeatedly kidnapped or endangered should have been a point that April should have developed trying to avoid like in Archie's TMNT Adventures.

-A Doku plant and Gazi leaf. Are there any real-life counterparts to these counteracting toxic fumes? I like how the one green house the TMNT goes to happens to have the 'only Gazi leaf in the western hemisphere'. I know that line was added to up the stakes, but also can come across as a eye rolling plot convince.

-'We used to fight the Turtles together'. Yeah, like earlier today.

-Leonardo made a pun on Donatello's short of change!

-Knucklehead! Was this inserted to sell toys? I prefer the 2.0 version that is in Casey Jones debut episode. Not sure the function of it, tie up the turtles one by one?

-It's weird how Baxter has the stereotypical intelligence of a fly because he mutated. I thought that a person's intellect remained in tact if he/she mutated? This will be with Baxter for the remainder of his appearances unfortunately.

-Krang actually tries to murder Baxter. This is the second time that Baxter was attempted to be murdered because his use was at an end. This begins the physical abuse by Shredder(or Krang) that will reach into other incarnations. Also its interesting to note that Pat Fraley voices both Krang and Baxter Stockman, one of his characters attempts to kill the other.

-In the 1958 film The Fly, a matter transformer is supposed to transport the scientist from one place to another but his atoms are scrambled with a fly. Is that the only thing that Baxter The Fly has in common with the film the fact his atoms were scrambled with a fly's atoms? Its the most unique mutation in TMNT multimedia that I can think of because no mutagen was involved. I wonder if a shot of retromutagen would have done anything due to the unique circumstances of his mutation. In the 2012 cartoon Baxter did have contact with mutagen.

-Historic district, the Turtles don't want to maage any property. What historic district? I want more information instead of an excuse for whatever the plot calls for. I mean if the Twin towers are involved and mentioned why not state what historic area this is. Visuals don't tell us anything.

-Microsecond forward in time making a person hit out of phase after the energy affects their respective molecular structure? Sounds like something from The Flash's corner of the DCU.

-Shredder plays dirty but he does not bluff. That is a slippery line to walk in.

-I like this line, Splinter: 'It is remarkable what one can do when one is forced to'. Philosophical, in-character, and a lot of depth.

-Anchovies covered in Gazi leaves? Michelangelo will eat anything on a pizza. At least the other turtles have their limits.

This episode is goofy and dark all in one. It is unique in that and it is good for that reason.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #44
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

It's like the makers were influenced by the 1958 and 1986 versions of The Fly for this episode.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #45
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
It's like the makers were influenced by the 1958 and 1986 versions of The Fly for this episode.
Aside from a man's molecules melding with a fly's in a device meant for something else (Baxter's case disintegration and in both men in The Fly (teleportation) what else is influenced from either film. I have not seen either. All I know is of the accident itself and that it is a completely different character that Price and Goldblum play.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #46
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I remember as a kid being worried about April when she fell ill. Especially when Splinter said something like "I fear she will not survive nightfall'. Like, things are dire for their human buddy and the Turtles acted sounded sad and concerned and determined to do whatever to save her. Plus, Shredder just came off as that much a threat to sink that low.

It reminds me of the crossovers. They keep forgetting that yeah, the Turtles goof off and trade one liners, but when **** gets serious, they get serious and react accordingly.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #47
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I remember as a kid being worried about April when she fell ill. Especially when Splinter said something like "I fear she will not survive nightfall'. Like, things are dire for their human buddy and the Turtles acted sounded sad and concerned and determined to do whatever to save her. Plus, Shredder just came off as that much a threat to sink that low.

It reminds me of the crossovers. They keep forgetting that yeah, the Turtles goof off and trade one liners, but when **** gets serious, they get serious and react accordingly.
Agreed. I still feel that way about this ep which is why it’s one of my favourites. Shredder at his most evil. Unexpected and nothing else he did in the series came close imo.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #48
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Enter: The Fly is a perfect blend of fun one liners and plot convinces that leave questions yet a threatening situation and serious villains. The episode is a good showcase of what the show is not the parody crossovers implicate it to be.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #49
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Agreed. I still feel that way about this ep which is why it’s one of my favourites. Shredder at his most evil. Unexpected and nothing else he did in the series came close imo.
I wanted to see Shredder build more of a resume on this show. Sure the character has one, he murdered Splinter in the Nicktoon and in IDW in a previous lifetime. All Shredder has here is he blew up the Channel Six News building, tried to kill Baxter twice, and defeated the TMNT a handful of times in fair hand to hand combat. This Shredder had a knack for science but it was rarely displayed and had more resources at his disposal than any incarnation. Probably the most enemies too ( Baxter, Rat King, Big Louie, Dregg) . Taking him out of limitations would he have pulled what his Archie Adventures counterpart did leading up to Forever War? I know shoulda/coulda/woulda/didn't...I am talking about what could Shredder (1987) have done on top of the little mentioned above to be considered a capable threat?
Old 05-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #50
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I wanted to see Shredder build more of a resume on this show. Sure the character has one, he murdered Splinter in the Nicktoon and in IDW in a previous lifetime. All Shredder has here is he blew up the Channel Six News building, tried to kill Baxter twice, and defeated the TMNT a handful of times in fair hand to hand combat. This Shredder had a knack for science but it was rarely displayed and had more resources at his disposal than any incarnation. Probably the most enemies too ( Baxter, Rat King, Big Louie, Dregg) . Taking him out of limitations would he have pulled what his Archie Adventures counterpart did leading up to Forever War? I know shoulda/coulda/woulda/didn't...I am talking about what could Shredder (1987) have done on top of the little mentioned above to be considered a capable threat?
I dunno what else could’ve been done with Shredder tbh. To be fair, he was very cunning and somewhat a threat in seasons 1, 2, 7 and red sky.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #51
pferreira
Foot Elite

Classic episode. Shredder had no problems putting up with his mutants but one too many failures by Baxter and...damn...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #52
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What I like is it is a good mix of threatening and goofy to represent the series as a whole.

What were Shredder and Baxter Stockman doing on the roof of the left one of the twin towers? They had spent weeks planning it and it involved a force field.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #53
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What I like is it is a good mix of threatening and goofy to represent the series as a whole.

What were Shredder and Baxter Stockman doing on the roof of the left one of the twin towers? They had spent weeks planning it and it involved a force field.
Season 2 was awesome, definitely. But the age old "I want my Foot Soldiers!!" in Season 2 and the repetitive "we need to repower/free the Technodrome!!" plots can get old fast. This was an awesome episode.

The plan was to create a force field between the two towers. Danged if I know why though because the device broke right away.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Are there any clues to what historic district Leonardo wants to avoid fighting in? I was wondering it the scenery gave it away since it was not mentioned specifically.

Tags
baxter stockman, episode discussion, fred wolf series