The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #41
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood. You can have characters with an overall serious demeanor who still have their own brand of humor. It's more fun when you have people working off one another that have different styles of humor--maybe they get one another's humor, maybe they don't but in general, variety is your friend!

Personally, if humor is spread out, I think it makes for more well rounded, developed and interesting protagonists. Putting it all on one characters makes character development and growth difficult for the "scapegoat" and truthfully, that's what I think ended up happening in the later seasons of the 4kids show.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #42
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood!
It's probably easier to market them to children that way.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #43
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

It might be easier but I always felt that companies don't give children nearly enough credit. If you make your characters interesting, people will be engaged. I remember even as a little kid getting frustrated when a characters was known only by one trait. "The Leader" "The Inventor" etc and my favorite episodes were always when that trend was broken. So while, yeah, I understand it, I don't really support it.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #44
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood. You can have characters with an overall serious demeanor who still have their own brand of humor. It's more fun when you have people working off one another that have different styles of humor--maybe they get one another's humor, maybe they don't but in general, variety is your friend!

Personally, if humor is spread out, I think it makes for more well rounded, developed and interesting protagonists. Putting it all on one characters makes character development and growth difficult for the "scapegoat" and truthfully, that's what I think ended up happening in the later seasons of the 4kids show.
I agree with this strongly. Giving all turtles a sense of humour works very well in the 1990 movie as Michealangalo is not annoying in that despite the movie being darker which would otherwise result in all the comic relief being forced into one character.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #45
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I find it ironic how out of all the animated tv show Michealangaos, the least annoying and dumb is FW Michealangalo from the most lighthearted show
He was the best, but the question is if he would work in darker series.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #46
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

The problem with modern TV and film is that there's an imbalance in how characters are written. One character is either written to be totally serious, only capable of 'witty', edgy sarcasm while another character is the comic relief. It's just bad writing although modern day audiences don't seem to mind. It just doesn't feel real or relatable to me. Ironically the the 80s TMNT series which you could argue was the most absurd iteration had the best balanced written characters.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michaelangelo