The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Eastman sells Heavy Metal

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50367

Definitely the end of an era, but considering Andrew has said that Kevin has been in a bad way lately, it's probably for the best.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I had a subscription to Heavy Metal for about 3 years and it was all during the Eastman era.

Admittedly... I'm not sure why I kept with the magazine for so long. The content wasn't all that good and I think I bought it more out of support for Eastman's projects than I did out of actual enjoyment of the magazine. During the years I bought it, anyway (the mid '00s), the stories felt almost like a self-parody of what everybody superficially associates with Heavy Metal.

I think the absolute low for the brand, at least when I was paying it mind, was the "Heavy Metal 2000" film, which was the ultimate vanity piece for Eastman and his then-wife, Julie Strain. Just a heinous film. Then Eastman went and released the special edition "Melting Pot" graphic novel as an anniversary issue of Heavy Metal and it was just... so bad, you guys. So freakin' bad.

I dunno, I don't have a complete view of Heavy Metal during Eastman's tenure as editor, but from the years I was paying attention... it just wasn't very good.

Maybe now that there's a new direction (and the article lists that the new owner is more interested in getting the brand name back into theaters), we'll see a revitalization of the title. I'd love to finally get a GOOD sequel to the original film, a proper anthology feature, and just pretend that Julie Strain vehicle Eastman financed never happened.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wonder what this means for his further involvement with TMNT?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I wonder what this means for his further involvement with TMNT?
It means nothing either way. He's been trying to sell HM for several years now. No need to get too far into it, but he's been a victim of some pretty bad business practices of some of his partners.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He's been trying to sell HM for several years now. No need to get too far into it, but he's been a victim of some pretty bad business practices of some of his partners.
Without naming names, could you tell me if you mean the guys who were trying to produce the new HM movie, or someone else?

And Spengs, I should not that Kevin himself said that the HM 2000 movie was terrible and he thinks no one should see it at a panel I attended at the 2012 Boston Comic Con.

One major thing I've never seen anyone mention here concerning Eastman and HM is that in the early 1990s, he was going to release a CD-ROM collection of HM, but didn't get permission from any of the creators. The discs were manufactured but never released, and the whole ordeal made Steve Bissette end his friendship with Kevin.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 01-17-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It means nothing either way. He's been trying to sell HM for several years now. No need to get too far into it, but he's been a victim of some pretty bad business practices of some of his partners.
I guess I just wondered if without the entanglements with HM if he'd have more time for the Turtles....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I guess I just wondered if without the entanglements with HM if he'd have more time for the Turtles....
It's been a good couple of years since HM has eaten up a significant amount of his time.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Without naming names, could you tell me if you mean the guys who were trying to produce the new HM movie, or someone else?
Someone else. Doesn't sound like the movie thing was really anyone's fault... the financiers just got cold feet.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

Is Fistful of Blood tied up with Heavy Metal or does Eastman retain rights? Been wondering if we'll ever see the movie.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnormal Freak View Post
Is Fistful of Blood tied up with Heavy Metal or does Eastman retain rights? Been wondering if we'll ever see the movie.
I'm not certain, but I'm willing to bet that Kevin retains the rights to the comics he created himself.
from here.

Tags
kevin eastman