The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #2501
Galactus
Foot Elite

I know the design of the lair was one of the few things people seemed to like when pictures came out but I personally didn't care for it.

There's always a charming idea within TMNT that despite being mutants raised in a sewer they actually resemble a real family and the look of the various lairs reflected that except the 2014 movie (which continually used the word family while rarely showing it) were the look of the lair was like the ultimate club house. With it's walls of boom boxes and pizza box furniture etc. There was little sign of Splinter's influence either parental or in terms of his Japanese heritage...well he didn't have that in the movie but he was certainly based on Japanese culture.

The new lair seems exactly the same. I guess those candles are supposed to be Splinter's but otherwise it still looks like a giant club house. I know that people may scoff at this but the fixation on cars and the objectification of Megan Fox it seems the movie has more Michael Bay influence and I can't help but look at those flags and think it's another (admittedly small sign) of his influence. Not that the turtles can't be into motor racing and be proud of the country they live in (or under) but it seems quite un-TMNT to have it displayed like this.

I guess I should be grateful it looks like a new lair. I kinda expected try they'd use the existing lair and gloss over that Shredder and the Foot know it's location. I suppose it could still be their original lair just redecorated. Also anyone miss how sewers used to be portrayed as somewhat realistic with the the various lairs being things like abandoned subway and pumping stations etc. The storm drains in the 1990 movie were very accurate to what they really look like but here it looks as outlandish as you can get.

Last edited by Galactus; 07-26-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #2502
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
FIRST LOOK AT TURTLE LAIR COURTESY OF INSTAGRAM:

https://instagram.com/p/5loNBSLCQ8/

http://i.imgur.com/hqzFKS8.jpg
Great find, The link to the instagram isn't working, Here's a working one.
https://instagram.com/p/5luXqTo7Bq/
Old 07-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #2503
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

In case any of us forgot, the prominent giant frakking American flag reminds us all that this is a Michael Bay movie.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #2504
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
In case any of us forgot, the prominent giant frakking American flag reminds us all that this is a Michael Bay movie.
What's the big deal??? A lot of movies and American tv shows (that doesn't involve Bay) have the American Flag in them.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #2505
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
What's the big deal??? A lot of movies and American tv shows (that doesn't involve Bay) have the American Flag in them.
Ever watch any of the Honest Trailers or Cinema Sins for any of Michael Bay's comic book movies, TMNT or Transformers?

That, my dear, is the big deal. Michael F***ing Bay.

Watching Michael Bay produce TMNT movies is like watching your sister trapped in a loveless abusive marriage.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #2506
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Ever watch any of the Honest Trailers or Cinema Sins for any of Michael Bay's comic book movies, TMNT or Transformers?

That, my dear, is the big deal. Michael F***ing Bay.

Watching Michael Bay produce TMNT movies is like watching your sister trapped in a loveless abusive marriage.
Err what i'm confused

So you don't like seeing the American Flag in Bay movies but you like seeing it in other movies and American tv shows.

I thought you guys love the American flag and you love seeing it put everywhere. I have been to America twice and you see the flag everywhere, even on people's houses and gardens.

Last edited by Vicky82; 07-26-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #2507
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Someone linked me to a new sets video that were on her files, this was shot in an alley and features the foot clan.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #2508
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Err what i'm confused

So you don't like seeing the American Flag in Bay movies but you like seeing it in other movies and American tv shows.

I thought you guys love the American flag and you love seeing it put everywhere. I have been to America twice and you see the flag everywhere, even on people's houses and gardens.
My point was that it's yet another example of Bay not giving a crap about source material or characters, just slapping characters into one of his big dumb action movies.

And for the record, a lot of Americans don't feel all that jazzed about seeing their flag all over the damn place. But yeah, stereotypically, everyone flies a flag 'cause it makes them feel more patriotic. And that's all I'm going to say before this collapses into an American culture/government argument.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #2509
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
My point was that it's yet another example of Bay not giving a crap about source material or characters, just slapping characters into one of his big dumb action movies.

And for the record, a lot of Americans don't feel all that jazzed about seeing their flag all over the damn place. But yeah, stereotypically, everyone flies a flag 'cause it makes them feel more patriotic. And that's all I'm going to say before this collapses into an American culture/government argument.
Ok I'm still confused but i'll end it at that.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #2510
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Splinter is some kind of hoarder anyhow, he must have picked up EVERYTHING over the years. Who drags home that many boom boxes to begin with? Not like the kids were allowed out of the house and were the ones to keep bringing them home despite dad saying "enough already."

They must have ordered that flag online though , most people don't tend to just lose their country's flag or toss out one that's still in one piece? (Besides, that's not proper disposal.) Maybe April gave them one.

Doesn't really bother me that they have one up... undocumented as they are, they're still citizens of the country. Although symbolically it would be stronger and make more sense had this film been made shortly after 9/11 and acknowledged, given that the Turtles are locals (and probably would have helped how they could - if allowed out of the house).
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #2511
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
It's an odd design choice. I mean how many regular people have a US flag in their bedrooms? Much odder to include it in this context given in this case the four characters are sewer dwelling teenagers that are largely apart from society.

Still I admit while an odd design choice (one of many) in and of itself it's fairly innocuous but given how Bay routinely exploits a certain demographic with absurd to the point of stereotypical patriotic imagery including multiple uses of the flag itself it's no surprise we're seeing it here but combined with a lot of other Bay tropes like the fixation on flashy motor vehicles or putting Megan Fox in scenes purposefully designed to humorously titillate it seems this movie will be filled with tropes he's known for even more than the first.

Last edited by Galactus; 07-26-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #2512
Leo656
The Franchise

I used to keep a big-ass American flag on the wall over my bed, for years and years. So that's one thing I'll personally overlook, since I get a tickle when anything I do meshes with what one of the Turtles does.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #2513
Powder
So tired of this place

I used to have a big ass American flag on my basement wall, but I hung it upside down.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 07-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #2514
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh, you.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #2515
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sucks if it's an overdone Bay trope. The Turtles... forgivable, not like they're able to hang it outside like many other households.

At least they aren't driving around the streets like this:
Spoiler:

Next time.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #2516
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The turtles need there own flag, like one with a turtle shell design.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #2517
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Someone linked me to a new sets video that were on her files, this was shot in an alley and features the foot clan.

I really hope that they explain that these are Foot Ninja. Like, even if it's just mentioned, I don't want the Turtles to act like they fought Foot Ninja in the last movie.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #2518
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The turtles need there own flag, like one with a turtle shell design.
They already advertise themselves WAY too much for a bunch of guys trying to stay out of sight by hiding in a sewer. It's bad enough they roll around in semi-armored vehicles with their name all over it and a horn that plays their theme song. These guys are the goddamn worst ninjas ever.

Now you want 'em to run around carrying a goddamn Battle Flag? WHY?! Good gravy.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #2519
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They already advertise themselves WAY too much for a bunch of guys trying to stay out of sight by hiding in a sewer. It's bad enough they roll around in semi-armored vehicles with their name all over it and a horn that plays their theme song. These guys are the goddamn worst ninjas ever.

Now you want 'em to run around carrying a goddamn Battle Flag? WHY?! Good gravy.
Maybe something like this.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #2520
Leo656
The Franchise

"This is our family's Coat of Arms. Because Frogger was the best game ever."

Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, tigerclaw is cybercubed, tmnt2