The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Andrew's Wish comes true Geoff Johns Exiting DC Entertainment President and Chief

Geoff Johns is stepping down as DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer, Variety has learned. He will be transitioning to a new role and will be given some sort of writing and producing deal with DC Comics and Warner Bros. to cushion his landing.

The move comes days after news broke that Diane Nelson is leaving as president of DC Entertainment following a long sabbatical. It also takes place amidst a larger shakeup in the way that DC is approaching its movie-making operations.

Following Johns’ departure, DC Entertainment Publisher Jim Lee will expand his role to include the chief creative officer title.

Johns was one of the rare executives who not only produced comic book movies, he also authored the graphic novels and series that inspired them. Under his new deal, one of Johns’ first film projects will be “Green Lantern Corps,” which is based on a bestselling series that he oversaw. He will write and be a producer on the film.

Johns’ ouster has been rumored for some time. In January, Warner Bros., DC’s corporate sibling, promoted Walter Hamada to oversee its comic book movies. Hamada supplanted Johns, who the studio said would continue to advise on the creative direction of the productions. As part of that shift, Jon Berg also exited as the co-head of the DC movies to become a production partner with Roy Lee, the producer of “The Lego Movie” and “It.”

Johns is a respected creative talent, known for his prodigious knowledge of comic book lore and his deep ties to the fanboy community. That hasn’t translated into successful movies, however.

DC’s film division has struggled to match the track record of rival Marvel, which keeps releasing one blockbuster after another as its cinematic universe of costumed heroes continues to grow. DC did hit the zeitgeist with last summer’s “Wonder Woman,” but struck out with last fall’s “Justice League,” an embarrassing film flop that Johns produced. “Suicide Squad” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” did well at the box office, but were creatively excoriated.

Johns co-wrote and executive produced “Aquaman,” which will debut globally on Dec. 21. He is also writing and executive producing the second installment of the “Wonder Woman” franchise. That film hits theaters in November 2019.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/g...nt-1202840461/
Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Failure of DCCU surely has a resounding effect.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Just reboot the damn thing already. See how Aquaman performs and keep making Wonder Woman solo films so long as they still pull in money. After the Wonder Woman (and if successful, Aquaman) series conclude, take a few years off to restore brand faith. Release a CG cartoon movie here and there while internally restructuring how to approach the next reboot.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Just reboot the damn thing already. See how Aquaman performs and keep making Wonder Woman solo films so long as they still pull in money. After the Wonder Woman (and if successful, Aquaman) series conclude, take a few years off to restore brand faith. Release a CG cartoon movie here and there while internally restructuring how to approach the next reboot.
No no, no hiatus.

X-Men First Class the thing. Keep Gal Gadot, maybe Jason Momoa and Henry Cavill...

And recast everybody else. Don't bother making the continuity make sense, just make a good movie. Get a lot of people excited with a recast Flash, a recast Batman (or reannounce Ben Affleck), a Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter or Hawkgirl or somebody... announce Darkseid or somebody, and get an AMAZING director that everybody loves.

Then come up with a new title that says "Justice League" without just being "Justice League."

I think that's what they have to do to stay in the game. Taking their time to build a universe is what they should have done after Man of Steel. Now, they need to rebuild. And X-Men First Class already kinda proved that you can do that midstream.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

After Justice League, I just lost all interest in following the DC Movie Universe news. Not just because of how poor the film was, but also the constant announcements and cancellations of upcoming DC films. All of it together, was just exhausting, dizzying. I lost the sense of anticipation or fun.
This coming from someone who voraciously follows most comic book/comic book movie/video game news. Sometimes I enjoy just discussing or hypothesizing so much, it becomes more entertaining than the products themselves.

It's not that I don't "care" about the DC film universe anymore. I just don't care to keep up on any of the news. Hype officially deflated. I'll be there for upcoming releases. I'll be excited to see a new Batman or Superman movie. For sure. But you can call me when they're ready. Maybe after success, I'll find the DC film universe interesting enough to discuss again (He says while typing out a two paragraph summary of his feelings about the DC film universe, while he should be working).

Oh, and congrats to Geoff Johns, I suppose. Hope he is happy with his new position. And to end on some positivity, I'm absolutely enamored with the DC tv film universe coming together right now. Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing? Count me in!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Then come up with a new title that says "Justice League" without just being "Justice League."
Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Y'know, I actually thought of that...

But they'd have to change it for the foreign box office, like they did for Captain America. Didn't they change at least the first Captain America film's title in China?

Also, Geoff Johns' new company website is up... http://www.madghostproductions.com/category/film/

Hal Jordan and John Stewart!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
sdp
-

They can't reboot anything, Wonder Woman was a hit and they won't want to let that one go, they've also scrapped their plans many times already since Green Lantern failed. They're too far in to just restructure. It's either scrap everything or continue on and they'll continue on somehow.

DC is a mess.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Quote:
Y'know, I actually thought of that...

But they'd have to change it for the foreign box office, like they did for Captain America. Didn't they change at least the first Captain America film's title in China?

Also, Geoff Johns' new company website is up... http://www.madghostproductions.com/category/film/

Hal Jordan and John Stewart!
Justice League of America? Great comic title, terrible movie title. Too long, too Amerocentric, like Cylons said. Personally, I think they could make The Justice League work. It's iconic enough where I think they'd be protected against the trend of movies with "the" in the title underperforming.

And yeah, they could totally do a soft reboot on the fky, no need to buke the while DCCU. Just reimagine/recast the characters who didn't land the first go round or who want out of their roles (Jared Leto, Ben Affleck, etc.)

I think Henry Cavill made a decent brooding Superman but the DCCU really needs a bright and sunshiney Boy Scout Superman, not the uber dark and gritty one we got.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I notice he doesn't include "Green Lantern" (2011) on there or Justice League. I wonder how long until he removes Aquaman and Shazam from there.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I notice he doesn't include "Green Lantern" (2011) on there or Justice League. I wonder how long until he removes Aquaman and Shazam from there.
Do you think Aquaman is gonna be dead in the water when it's released then, Andrew?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Do you think Aquaman is gonna be dead in the water when it's released then, Andrew?
There really isn't enough to be able to tell. But probably. It probably means something that it comes out in 5 months and all we've seen is a shirtless Momoa picture.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
There really isn't enough to be able to tell. But probably. It probably means something that it comes out in 5 months and all we've seen is a shirtless Momoa picture.
The defense is that the CGI for the water is a massive undertaking and Wan doesn't want to release anything until it's good to go.

I don't think that's entirely suspect... but it's not entirely NOT suspect, either, I suppose.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The defense is that the CGI for the water is a massive undertaking and Wan doesn't want to release anything until it's good to go.
No way 100%, or even 60% of the movie is all underwater. That'd be like the most expensive movie ever.

Surely they could show something if they really wanted to.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Filming has been wrapped for 8 months. Plenty of time to get your vfx in order for at least some sort of teaser.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No way 100%, or even 60% of the movie is all underwater. That'd be like the most expensive movie ever.

Surely they could show something if they really wanted to.
But then the complaints would be "Where's the water!?"

I just... I dunno.

Give the rights back to Marvel, maybe?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am sure even if it was Universal's blunder Aquaman does not want to be associated with Waterworld.

I for one am looking forward to what this movie will be. It is going all out as Aquaman possibly can. I don't like Jason's Aquaman-look, but with both Black Manta and Ocean Master involved and the careful nature of the project I think it will be a good film. I have hopes for this film and since we got confirmation on the leads of Green Lantern Corps I have two movies that I am interested in from my preferred comic company.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Hardcore DCEU/Snyder Worshipping fanboys be like
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
https://i.imgur.com/SK4M1No.jpg

Hardcore DCEU/Snyder Worshipping fanboys be like
I've seen some Snyder fans convinced that Johns was fired because he was the one responsible for getting Snyder removed from Justice League.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuck johns