The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
saul
Foot Soldier

Quality of the US old toon DVD's VS German

Hey guys,

If any of you are looking for the best quality picture to watch the old toon, I have to say that the picture quality on the German releases is considerably better than the US versions.

I don't know if it's a mastering issue or what, but the US versions have a very grainy pixelated look to them. This always seemed wrong to me. But when I noticed some shots of Planet of the Turtleoids from the German DVDs on another post, they seemed so much better that I figured it would be worth it to order and compare.

For me, it's almost like watching the show for the first time, like how it was meant to be seen. You see, growing up I never had cable, so I had to watch the show through bad TV antennae reception. So it's wonderful to finally see everything so clearly, without a layer of grain (although there is still minor DVD artifacting, but not nearly as bad as in the US version).

The German DVDs actually contain 2 versions of each episode: German and US. Why? Because the German version was edited for content (nunchucks I guess). So, there are no 'alternate audio tracks.' It's simply 2 different files. Since German is PAL (region 2), I ripped the DVD on my computer and just kept the US version files. I prefer watching files off the computer anyway, as it's faster than loading through a DVD player.

I've also noticed that the sound seems better on the German version. The bass sounds fuller and richer, and the overall sound has more presence.

I ordered the "Box 1" (25 episodes from season 1 to 3) from the german ebay (ebay.de), translated with google chrome, and it was pretty easy. Just found a seller who shipped internationally. I had tried ordering from Amazon but it was too confusing. It was about $30 after shipping and everything. Not bad for 25 episodes.

PS: I haven't watched the Laserdisc versions yet, but I'm guessing the German DVD's would still win out on picture quality, although I hear that sound quality on Laserdisc is better than DVD since it's not compressed. We'll have to wait till I get a Laserdisc player though to settle this...
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
hudemx
Hench Mutant

About the german Quality:

KSM was asked last year when they rereleased Box 1 as a 3 Disk Set instead of a 5 Disk Set if they would remaster the Episodes like they did with they He-Man, She-Ra, Galaxy Rangers Rereleases before. They responded by saying that they already remastered all episodes of TMNT they released on DVD (both german & english) because they had to "minimize" the Filesize to get 10 episodes (5 german, 5 english) onto one Disk.

So yeah, they episodes were remastered in picture and audioquality by KSM, which are known in Germany for their special remastering techniques which allowe them to get 13+ half-hour episodes on 1 DVD without loosing any Quality.

We could still compare the german Sets with the US Lionsgate Sets, sadly I only own the german Sets, but if anyone has the US Sets and posts some Images include Infos from which episodes they are, I would provide the german ones
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudemx View Post
About the german Quality:

We could still compare the german Sets with the US Lionsgate Sets, sadly I only own the german Sets, but if anyone has the US Sets and posts some Images include Infos from which episodes they are, I would provide the german ones
Check out the screencaps thread, as tone-master has posted some high-quality DVD images that are good for comparison. Many members have the episode scene in mind as well. You can clearly see some wear/faded color on many of these pictures as a result of dust/friction on the tape masters. I feel that the Laserdisc version maybe of higher quality since those were optical and pressed when the master tapes were still fresh.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...=9523&page=151 This page has "Krangenstein Lives" and "Turtle Tracks" included.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

I have the US dvds the quality is what you would expect, full screen but a little stretched. Fun fact! On the volume four dvd it says they do kung fu instead of ninjitsu!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
saul
Foot Soldier

Here's some comparisons from the 1st episode.
I don't have the American DVD's from season 2 and 3.

Of course, this isn't the same as seeing it in motion. When watching it, the German version is smoother, with the solid colors looking more solid and smooth, rather than grainy as the US one does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43402383@N04/7411725008/
http://flic.kr/p/chX2LL
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
saul
Foot Soldier

vlcsnap-1168928.jpg

vlcsnap-1170065.jpg

I can't seem to display the images here. Sorry about that.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
gobo
Wacky Action

Tried watching the German DVDs with Reclock the other day. Didn't do a lick a good.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Hi guys does anyone have this set of 22 DVDs? Its german gesamt edition and Id like to buy it if resolution is bigger than 640x480, is it pal 720x576? Does anyone have this set and some info about its quality and resolution ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mut.../dp/B01I08HU1U

Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
Hi guys does anyone have this set of 22 DVDs? Its german gesamt edition and Id like to buy it if resolution is bigger than 640x480, is it pal 720x576? Does anyone have this set and some info about its quality and resolution ?
This is an import mate, no BBFC logos. It's most probably a repackage of KSM's DVDs from some years ago this thread refers to. In other words good quality compared to the US ones.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fred wolf series