The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you glad Viacom/Nick bought TMNT?
I'm glad they did 40 52.63%
I'm glad NOW they did, but I wasn't beforehand 8 10.53%
No, not glad 12 15.79%
I was glad at first, now I'm not glad 13 17.11%
It is INFURIATING! 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #121
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You and I, it seems, have much to discuss.
Indeed :nods:
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #122
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Metalwolf: Yeah, I'm always a little creeped out by how people try to indoctrinate their kids into liking what they liked. My parents tried that sh*t with me at first, a little bit, but thankfully, after that they stayed out of it.

"I want to share the things I enjoyed with my kids" is code for, "I'm getting older, and I hate it, and I feel a need to try and 'connect' with younger people, to prove I'm not old and out of touch." It reeks of desperation and vanity. Let kids get into things on their own. Obviously, parents buy the toys, but nobody forced He-Man or Superman or Ghostbusters on me, I liked it, I wanted it, so they supported me in it. A lot of parents talk openly about "sharing" TMNT with their kids before they're old enough to know which side of the playpen smells the worst, and that, to me, is questionable sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

I don't have kids and never will, but my niece was young once. She found TMNT all on her own, on YouTube. Neither I nor her Mom had ever put it in front of her, she just came across it as a 10-year old and was like "Hey, what's this about? Do you guys remember this?" So for a while, she was a fan, and was thrilled to have the movies on DVD. Then she grew out of it and I have no idea if she bothers with it anymore. Probably not. Does it upset me? Eh, not really. It's one less thing to talk about, one less thing we have in common, but she's her own person.

Anyways. Some people's reasons for wanting this property to last forever are highly suspect. A lot of it seems to have to do with not wanting to let go of childhood.
I can't share enough how much of a pet peeve it is of mine when folks say that it's not made for you or at least my children love it. The latter is not an excuse and they're likely the same people who take their kids to see films like the MCU, DCEU, and Deadpool. Those same people who've experienced this brand who are now saying "well it's made for kids so it's suppose to be dumb" are in the same camp who hate TMNT 3, Next Mutation, etc. which further makes them hypocritical. I can't stand it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #123
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I can't share enough how much of a pet peeve it is of mine when folks say that it's not made for you or at least my children love it. The latter is not an excuse and they're likely the same people who take their kids to see films like the MCU, DCEU, and Deadpool. Those same people who've experienced this brand who are now saying "well it's made for kids so it's suppose to be dumb" are in the same camp who hate TMNT 3, Next Mutation, etc. which further makes them hypocritical. I can't stand it.
Andrew did that some months ago when I asked him. He was like 'The adult fandom doesn't matter and what we do doesn't matter as long as the kids like it and buy the toys' or some such. Not in the matter of complaining about it, but like he was OK with it and almost wanted it to be that way. Despite the fact the dude draws a TMNT comic and posts on a TMNT forum.

It's like dude, come on.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Andrew did that some months ago when I asked him. He was like 'The adult fandom doesn't matter and what we do doesn't matter as long as the kids like it and buy the toys' or some such. Not in the matter of complaining about it, but like he was OK with it
OK with it in the sense that there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it. Nickelodeon acquired a Product™ whose only interest to them is in a form that is boiled down to the lowest common denominator -- little kids -- so that they can just recycle "Turtlemania" over and over again. Getting worked up about the 2012 or the latest cartoon or especially the toys seems pretty dumb to me when I'm not anywhere close to the audience or demographic for it.

This isn't "up for debate," it's simple fact. This is what they've been doing since 2009. There are no signs there will be any reversing of course anytime in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
and almost wanted it to be that way.
Why on earth would I want it to be that way? Don't put words in my mouth, turbo.

Quote:
Despite the fact the dude draws a TMNT comic and posts on a TMNT forum.
I don't draw any TMNT comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Image Comics" isn't really a publisher. They're just an umbrella for publishers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Don't they own Spawn, though?
No, Todd McFarlane owns Spawn. "Image Comics" doesn't own anything. It's all creator-owned stuff through creator-created studios operating under one flag.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-04-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #125
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
No, Todd McFarlane owns Spawn. "Image Comics" doesn't own anything. It's all creator-owned stuff through creator-created studios operating under one flag.
So it would be no more or less different than IDW publishing a TMNT comic (not so much the differences between the Volume 3 and IDW series) since neither of them own anything, right?

What about Dark Horse?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #126
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

Yeah, I mean.. Did the two movies suck? Yeah, but the 2012 series was fantastic for the most part and we wouldn't have got that without Nickelodeon. It probably would've remained in obscurity. ROTTMNT is a big step down in quality but it's not terrible and still is kinda fun.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #127
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
We're just not going to agree on this, because I'm not convinced this brand needs to keep going. Especially if it's just going to keep deteriorating and being pulled away from what it was created and supposed to be, in exchange for selling more toys to a new generation of nose-pickers. That sh*t isn't what's really important.
No I partly agree with where you're coming from. Quality over quantity and attention to the roots of the source material should matter more. What I am worried about when I look at other long dead franchises like Ghostbusters is coming to message boards and having absolutely nothing to talk about for twenty or more years. Where I'm coming from is if we imagine Nick suddenly dropping everything TMNT related tomorrow with no plans to do anything for the next ten or twenty years that it's that boredom and isolation from the franchise that I worry about. The TMNT fandom would decrease and become a minority, TMNT would just be seen as a fad again just like back in the late 90s/early 2000s. It's only because I've seen the same thing with other franchises. You have an Internet forum dedicated to the TV series Sliders and the guys there don't even talk about the show anymore because there is nothing new to talk about. Like I said I totally agree more time should be taken by Nick to focus on matching the source material, it's just at the same time not having TMNT would leave a big hole in stuff that people like.

Quote:
Ghostbusters is a great example. Loved Ghostbusters. Probably too much. After seeing what "they" think is the right direction, I never want to see anything new again. It was two movies and a cartoon, THAT'S IT. I don't WANT new content, because the people making it are proven assholes. If it's only gonna get worse, what's the point? "Well, at least we can buy toys?" I. Don't. CARE.
Well it was proven that young girls weren't even buying the toys based off the 2016 as the toy company and studio thought they would so those flopped.

Ghostbusters is in a real mess right now. The people behind it refuse to admit they made a bad movie with selfish political reasons. The fan forum I used to visit refuses to accept the movie's faults. It's doubtful another movie could be made without them shoehorning more of the studio propaganda or simply making a bad movie. Unless the studio and the people involved get their priorities straight and handle the franchise properly it'll just get worse. The best thing that can be said about the 2016 movie is that at least it got people talking about the franchise again. Also IDW have merged the 2016 universe with the old one to try to repair the franchise, the fans seem to like these comics somewhat.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm okay with things being put to bed. People spend too much time on forums and message boards and whatnot anyway.

With "nothing to talk about", my sincerest hope is that many of those people go make friends with Mr. Sun and find something far, FAR more productive to do with their free time than whittle it away talking to strangers about movies and cartoons.

No foolin', if I had the power of the Infinity Gauntlet, one snap and ALL of your little message boards and forums would be gone, forever. Because a lot of you need real friends and to get more exercise. Just sayin'.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #129
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm okay with things being put to bed. People spend too much time on forums and message boards and whatnot anyway.

With "nothing to talk about", my sincerest hope is that many of those people go make friends with Mr. Sun and find something far, FAR more productive to do with their free time than whittle it away talking to strangers about movies and cartoons.

No foolin', if I had the power of the Infinity Gauntlet, one snap and ALL of your little message boards and forums would be gone, forever. Because a lot of you need real friends and to get more exercise. Just sayin'.
Agreed. Life’s too short. Also, I dunno why some people get so obsessed with franchises.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-08-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #130
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
With "nothing to talk about", my sincerest hope is that many of those people go make friends with Mr. Sun
Well I do need to get more Vitamin D and I live in the UK so that can be quite a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Agreed. Life’s too short. Also, I dunno why some people get so obsessed with franchises.
People have hobbies, people are fans of stuff. Unfortunately mine keep me indoors.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #131
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Well I do need to get more Vitamin D and I live in the UK so that can be quite a problem.
I agree. I was actually just thinking what you said. I live in Ireland and the weather’s been bad for the past week or so.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #132
bwwd
Hench Mutant

BEst thing that happened to TMNT property since first movies , we got NECA tmnt movie figures thanks to them, they arent strict and let multiple turtles versions to exist wihout neglecting them.
Its scary to think what would happen if nickelodeon wouldnt do this or if warner bros did it, warner would be the worst.
Nickelodeon is perfect fit for tmnt even if i dont like their experiment with kiddie turtles i appreciate their respect to older versions.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #133
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I agree. I was actually just thinking what you said. I live in Ireland and the weather’s been bad for the past week or so.
Not to get off topic but the UK has so much bad weather it's actually advisable to go out more when there's sunshine that's why my doctor gets me to take Vitamin D supplements.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #134
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not to get off topic but the UK has so much bad weather it's actually advisable to go out more when there's sunshine that's why my doctor gets me to take Vitamin D supplements.
Good advice.

Back to TMNT, I’m indifferent to Nickelodeon buying out the franchise. I would like if the 2003 series got a proper dvd release, though.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #135
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'm glad that their social media brings attention to tmnt 2k3 lol

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 AM   #136
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I'm glad that their social media brings attention to tmnt 2k3 lol
Better than Viacom themselves.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #137
Vegita-San
Emperor

then they'd have to admit to themselves that 2k3 is mostly better than the animated stuff they put out.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:24 AM   #138
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Well Peter laird had a creator breakdown and he did say the franchise had gotten out of control since 1988 which caused him to neglect his family and that he is getting old and tired so yeah glad he should the franchise and getting better.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #139
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Pros?

#1)A human heart -- one of the actual creators -- at the center of things, with full veto power over any and all sh**ty stuff. Quality control, let's call it, and the absence of being part of a megacorp.

#2) If not any immediate or burning creation of such, at least the possibility of quality, non-cartoon pandering TMNT movies.

#3) A likelihood that Laird would have continued chugging along on Volume 4 (I think even just him knowing there is the kind of TMNT stuff out there that there is gets to him) to its end, and probably kept Tales of the TMNT afloat, too. A possibility of a "OK, now it's your turn" of letting others loose on a Volume 5 later on.

Movies? There was always and would always be movie deals being brought to Peter and Gary Richardson's attention. And we more than likely would have gotten to see that Fusco "Batman Begins-like" script brought to life with full on grit. Instead we got TMNT 2014 and OotS, put on by focus groups and bean counters being bossed around by Michael Bay.

And a lot of people act like the 4Kids show would have been his one and only attempt at a new cartoon. Of course there'd be other deals for new cartoons on the table. Only difference? Laird would be around to smack them around and make them not have it be crap, or be a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf. He would shut that sh** right down.
Peter Laird doesn't have a say on the franchise anymore dude. So no volume 5
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #140
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Peter Laird doesn't have a say on the franchise anymore dude. So no volume 5
Peter has the right to still publish several issues of TMNT a year, it was a clause in the sale contract. So yes, he can do a volume 5.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastron goes quiet