The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #2941
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

What where your thought process when creating a brand new character in Mutated Jennika instead of reinventing Venus, since at their core they are basically the same, a fifth Turtle that happens to be female. With so many classic characters reinvented already why not do the same here?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #2942
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I would argue that them both being female turtles doesn't at all make them them basically the same. I wouldn't say that about the male turtles, at least.

When revisiting a legacy character, in my mind, they need to serve the same basic story function, at least to start with. When that's not the case, a new name seems appropriate. Which was our reasoning for not calling Bludgeon "Armaggon"-- had we called him that, folks would have kept on waiting for us to get to a future storyline involving him, something we didn't have any intention of doing. So, if we start fresh, there's no story expectations. I think calling Jennika "Venus" would have detracted from Jennika's story development as her own independent person that we had already established.

(I realize there's some holes in the above logic. Our "Nobody" doesn't have much in common with Mirage's "Nobody". At the end of the day, it's a gut feel thing from us on whether using a legacy name helps or hinders the introduction of the character. In the case of Jennika, especially since we've had over 40 issues with her already, it didn't make sense to call her Venus all of a sudden)
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #2943
ChosenOne
Banned

I hope you do decide to introduce IDW Armaggon at some point, though! He has loads of potential.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #2944
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I hope you do decide to introduce IDW Armaggon at some point, though! He has loads of potential.
I hope so to. I have an idea of how to make it work too even though Bludgeon already exist.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #2945
neatoman
Emperor

That reminds me, future Armaggon or alien Armaggon?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #2946
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

This may get elaborated on in the comic but: was there something about Leo’s blood or Jennika’s situation that made the ‘ooze blood’ cause a mutation or could Null the Foot duplicate a ton of mutants by mutating one creature or person, and then giving out blood transfusions?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #2947
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Unrevealed at this time!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #2948
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That reminds me, future Armaggon or alien Armaggon?
Future, for the nostalgia factor, though I don't mind the alien angle either. Just get him in there!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #2949
phillytmnt
Thug

Hey Boddy,

Can you reveal yet who will be the main artist for issue 100? I would love Matues Santolouco to do but, but that doesn't seem likely due to the Shredder in Hell schedule. I think Sophie Campbell would be my next choice. I love the way she draws the tmnt in her current stuff. Very Mirage like and her TMNT have an edgier look. The way she draws people are great too. Another great artist would be the guy(forget his name) drawing the Batman/ TMNT series but that is probably a pipe dream since he is with DC, lol.

Thanks.
phillytmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #2950
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytmnt View Post
Hey Boddy,

Can you reveal yet who will be the main artist for issue 100? I would love Matues Santolouco to do but, but that doesn't seem likely due to the Shredder in Hell schedule. I think Sophie Campbell would be my next choice. I love the way she draws the tmnt in her current stuff. Very Mirage like and her TMNT have an edgier look. The way she draws people are great too. Another great artist would be the guy(forget his name) drawing the Batman/ TMNT series but that is probably a pipe dream since he is with DC, lol.

Thanks.
I can't yet, sorry!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #2951
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I can't yet, sorry!
Santolouco is obviously the top pick, but if he can't do it, then either Campbell or Dialynas would be perfect.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #2952
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I would argue that them both being female turtles doesn't at all make them them basically the same. I wouldn't say that about the male turtles, at least.

When revisiting a legacy character, in my mind, they need to serve the same basic story function, at least to start with. When that's not the case, a new name seems appropriate. Which was our reasoning for not calling Bludgeon "Armaggon"-- had we called him that, folks would have kept on waiting for us to get to a future storyline involving him, something we didn't have any intention of doing. So, if we start fresh, there's no story expectations. I think calling Jennika "Venus" would have detracted from Jennika's story development as her own independent person that we had already established.

(I realize there's some holes in the above logic. Our "Nobody" doesn't have much in common with Mirage's "Nobody". At the end of the day, it's a gut feel thing from us on whether using a legacy name helps or hinders the introduction of the character. In the case of Jennika, especially since we've had over 40 issues with her already, it didn't make sense to call her Venus all of a sudden)
Yeah, I can understand that, it makes sense for these characters to be their own characters, I'm just a sucker for different interpertations from the same characters, I like to compare different universes and how different experiences shape the same character.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #2953
Sugilita
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Yeah, I can understand that, it makes sense for these characters to be their own characters, I'm just a sucker for different interpertations from the same characters, I like to compare different universes and how different experiences shape the same character.

I like different interpertations of characters as well. And since Kevin Eastman likes Venus. I thought she will appear in the IDW comics.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #2954
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugilita View Post
I like different interpertations of characters as well. And since Kevin Eastman likes Venus. I thought she will appear in the IDW comics.
Yeah, it really is a shame, IDW are capable of redeaming hated characters and actually make them work, and I would love to see what they could've done with a character like Venus, whom I think is an interesting character in it's own right, but had the missfortune of being the front figure of the god awfull Next Mutation series, a series where, IMO, everyone but Raph where written like crap and nothing alike how they should've been.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #2955
Vegita-San
Emperor

was that jay sherman the kids where watching on tv in issue #94 at foot clan HQ?

first thing that popped into my mind.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #2956
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Hello, Bobby! Do you know anything about TMNT/Power Rangers crossover from Boom Studios? They got the rights only to this series? Are you involved in this?
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #2957
AquaParade
Banned

Hi Bobby,

Have you, Tom, or Kevin been on any podcasts or channels, to talk about the series, lately? I thought there might be some extra press lately due to the reveal of #95.

I'm sure you're all pretty busy, but I don't want to miss anything. I love hearing interviews with the team.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #2958
Sugilita
Random Punk

Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Yeah, it really is a shame, IDW are capable of redeaming hated characters and actually make them work, and I would love to see what they could've done with a character like Venus, whom I think is an interesting character in it's own right, but had the missfortune of being the front figure of the god awfull Next Mutation series, a series where, IMO, everyone but Raph where written like crap and nothing alike how they should've been.
Venus could be interesting if someone really wanted to fix her. And IDW writers could easily fix her if they wanted. But supposedly she can't be used because she is owned by Saban.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #2959
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugilita View Post
Venus could be interesting if someone really wanted to fix her. And IDW writers could easily fix her if they wanted. But supposedly she can't be used because she is owned by Saban.
No, its like the numerous TMNT characters not seen after Turtlemania, Peter Laird owned the rights but simply chose not to use them. An example of this is the specific instruction to Kevin Monroe director of TMNT to not include or even mention Venus. Aside from a few human characters in the live action films all characters are owned by intellectual property that was Mirage Studios and now Nickelodeon.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #2960
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
was that jay sherman the kids where watching on tv in issue #94 at foot clan HQ?

first thing that popped into my mind.
I dunno who that is! Wasn't in the script, so that would be a Dave question.

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz