The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you lost interest in the Idw series?
Yes 21 13.82%
No 131 86.18%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #61
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

overall i'm still enjoying the comic. yeah the pacing was so so in some parts, but like BC said, the micros did a good job improving on that (i love the micros!). i have been and always will be a Mirage TMNT fan first and foremost! all other incarnations of them are secondary to me. from early on i have accepted that THIS comic is not Mirage. i have been very happy with the Mirage homage's that IDW has given us and keeps giving us. those little nods make a big difference to me. it shows me that while their goal is to do something new and make progress long term, they still respect the source and it's fans. they didnt have to do that. Nick owns TMNT now. if they chose to merge TMNT and sponge bob together there's not a damn thing we could do (other than boycott the comic ) i believe lessons are being learned, improvements will be made, and this will continue to be a good comic for quite some time.

imagine that...teenage mutant ninja sponges
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I'm much more excited by the fact that IDW is re-releasing older stories in trades. A lot of which have never been collected. As long as they keep that up they can do whatever with the main series. I'll support it because they respect us older fans enough to treat the classic material with proper releases. They don't even have to that's the best part.
This is a good point too. IDW is respecting the old material by consistently pumping out Mirage trades when in reality they didn't even have to.

I think in the next few years it'll be pretty amazing to have most of the Mirage run collected and re-released, and if we're really lucky we'll get up to Image and Volume 4 as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #63
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This is a good point too. IDW is respecting the old material by consistently pumping out Mirage trades when in reality they didn't even have to.
While I love the hell out of the Mirage trade program they're pumping out... let's not all pretend IDW is just doing it for simply altruistic reasons. Before IDW won the publishing deal for TMNT there were other publishers more than happy -- even eager -- to reprint the Mirage material. In fact, for Dark Horse that was like the main thing that interested them, slamming all the Mirage comics into their omnibus program posthaste.

IDW would be foolish not to get that stuff out there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yes, but its win/win. IDW wants $$$$ by reprinting old comics with little production costs, and the fans get the collections we've always wanted for years.

IDW:

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #65
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's a different publisher doing a different iteration/universe of TMNT. When Archie launched "TMNT Adventures," was that a reboot of Mirage TMNT?
Oh yea, I didn't think about that. Silly me.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #66
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's a different publisher doing a different iteration/universe of TMNT. When Archie launched "TMNT Adventures," was that a reboot of Mirage TMNT?
While true, there are some rebootish qualities to the IDW series. With Archie and DreamWave, they were their own universes, yes, but they were also spinoffs and tie-ins to successful animated tv shows. With the Mirage universe winding down with the sale and Laird's waning interest, this new IDW series definitely launched with the intention of reinvigorating TMNT's popularity and success by "starting over." Of course it has been said that this was also done to respect what came before them, which is fair too, but I don't think it would be out of place to call the IDW series a reboot.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

The IDW series definitely qualifies for a reboot. This is the first time since 1984 that the comics have had a serious restart.

Obviously Archie TMNT Adventures doesn't count as it was a spinoff of the cartoon. The IDW series is basically like the reboots of Spiderman/Batman, etc. that have happened over the years.

I am pretty sure if/when Peter Laird ever finishes Volume 4...then that'll be it, the Mirage universe will be done.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #68
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Why do you keep saying that? We have a handful of OT characters (Krang, Bebop/Rocksteady and Traag's Rock Soldiers), a 4kids character (Angel and arguably this version of Karai), an Archie character (Slash is mostly associated with the Archie series), and Mirage influence for Shredder/Baxter/April, etc.

Seriously, WTF are you making a big deal out of nothing?
I would much rather have a bunch of brand new characters created by Eastman than ''re-imagined'' OT characters.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #69
Slade
god status

So far I've been sticking with it. I have slight concerns, but nothing to major. Who knows I may hate what's coming, or I may love it. It's been said before, but these do read way better as TPB's.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #70
Bauer536
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Obviously Archie TMNT Adventures doesn't count as it was a spinoff of the cartoon. The IDW series is basically like the reboots of Spiderman/Batman, etc. that have happened over the years.
Oh no. This does not feel like the reboots I've seen with Spider-man or Batman. Batman still has both parents die, and Spider-Man (which I've seen from the new film) is still bitten by this radioactive spider. There's no way this TMNT storyline fits into those worlds. You know why? Because if it did follow their worlds, the turtles wouldn't be reincarnated. The turtles would be going through the same thing Nickelodeon has for us on television: infant mutation on animals who are not Yoshi's sons. Ciro Nieli seems to know what he's doing considering he's made a few changes on other things. Still, the turtles are turtles. This whole reincarnation idea has made the turtles seem less iconic this time. It wasn't needed. I said it before, and I'll say it again. Just like Peter Laird, I feel this new idea is a cop out. There are always other ideas out there that can be done as changes without altering so much to the origin. So far, this one Waltz gave us isn't cutting it anymore. Why do you guys still like it? Some of you hated the fact that the turtles could have possibly been aliens in the new movie, but yet, you don't hate this? I think once a story based on these IDW comics is released as a film, there will be people who hate it because of what has been done so far. Don't agree with me? That's fine. But I just don't get it. This reincarnation thing ruins the franchise.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #71
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
I'm loving the comics! I want em all!

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
Oh no. This does not feel like the reboots I've seen with Spider-man or Batman. Batman still has both parents die, and Spider-Man (which I've seen from the new film) is still bitten by this radioactive spider. There's no way this TMNT storyline fits into those worlds.
Do you have any clue what a reboot is? It takes a property that has been around for a while and restarts it, using familiar characters but in different ways.

There are what...nearly 20 versions of Batman out there now with all comics, cartoons, and movies combined? Each one can technically be a reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I would much rather have a bunch of brand new characters created by Eastman than ''re-imagined'' OT characters.
Eastman created Alopex.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #73
Bauer536
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Do you have any clue what a reboot is? It takes a property that has been around for a while and restarts it, using familiar characters but in different ways.

There are what...nearly 20 versions of Batman out there now with all comics, cartoons, and movies combined? Each one can technically be a reboot.
And you think that's always okay? I don't know. If they changed any of my favorite characters into morons or jerks, that is unacceptable change. My philosophy: stay true to the original origins by adding something new to it, and never change the person that makes the character. You can't say, "Oh! It's Green Hornet!," and he's acting like a bufoon played by Seth Rogen. It's like, "Let's make Captain America without the buff body, and he'll just be a skinny little man who can run fast." That's not Captain America. "Let's make Peter Parker discover he's a reincarnated spider who was born to use his powers in the next life." That's not Spider-Man. "Let's not kill Bruce Wayne's parents, but yet let's still make him Batman." That's not Batman. "Let's have Superman actually be a human that gets this Wolverine treatment who's been getting these powers from a power plant explosion. We don't need Jor-El." That's NOT Superman. If you can't come up with a way to keep the origins the same with a few twists and turns, there is no reason to reboot the franchise. It's better off creating a new superhero group or something like TMNT, which was an original idea by Eastman and Laird, and not a complete copy of Daredevil. If the turtles are reincarnated, to me, they're not the turtles. It should have been done with something else, not the TMNT. You see what I mean?

Last edited by Bauer536; 08-22-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #74
Slade
god status

Quote:
My philosophy: stay true to the original origins by adding something new to it, and never change the person that makes the character.
Not to but in here, but that's what IDW did..sorta. Turtles are still infant mutated by ooze along with Splinter. The adding something new is the reincarnation aspect.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
My philosophy: stay true to the original origins by adding something new to it, and never change the person that makes the character.
If you don't like the reincarnation aspect you could just ignore it. As the series progresses it'll be less focused on their origins but on the stories being told afterward.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #76
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:

Eastman created Alopex.
True, but a mutant Artic fox isn't exactly my cup of tea. Don't even know her story yet, but I'm sure we will, in 3 to 5 years.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #77
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You see what I mean?
I see you're strongly afraid of change.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #78
jaymq
Hench Mutant

Cool

Nope. Still enjoying it. As I have most, if not all, the major universes as there is always something I like about them. It also helps I don't tend to compare each new series to it's predecessors.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #79
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant

I have always put the Mirage comics on a pedestal and have always thought of them as my favorite representation of the Turtles. Every time the Turtles stories are retold or altered, I am worried that they will be butchered. But I have to give it to IDW. They have done a fantastic job this past year. If this series continues for a second and third year the way it has in the first, I could easily say the IDW Turtles are my favorite iteration ever!

I have been doing comparison pieces which originally started comparing Mirage to IDW, but have grown to include Fred Wolf and other versions as all Turtle Universes are influencing the IDW comics. http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37259

Keep up the great work and here's to another great year!
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
True, but a mutant Artic fox isn't exactly my cup of tea. Don't even know her story yet, but I'm sure we will, in 3 to 5 years.
So in other words, you just don't like animal mutants in the comics.

Repeat after me, "This is NOT Mirage." IDW doesn't have to go by Mirage's "rules" of no other mutants and pointless characters like Mr. Braunze, the Justice Force, a Jewish Golem, cat creatures and other one-shot nonsense characters people don't give a second thought to.

Its so funny that because IDW is another serious comic not based on one of the cartoons, you think they have to do what Mirage did.

To be honest most of the Mirage-created characters, outside of the big ones like Baxter/Leatherhead/Rat King/Karai, etc....are some of the worst TMNT characters ever created. When nobody can remember who the hell Mr. Braunze was despite being the driving force of Volume 2, we have a problem.

Tags
idw, mirage