Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:31 AM   #1561
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
There's a fine line with what can be done, look at the Karate Kid reboot, the kid doesn't even learn Karate but it worked, a new story unrelated to the original, more of a spiritual sequel than a remake or anything of the sorts. The Halloween remake is thought of as boring since it's exactly the same thing with only bits and pieces here. Shin Godzilla changed the mythos a bunch but it worked, aren't people's main complains about Man of Steel is that he isn't Superman enough? Why does he always have to be the goody two shoes?Black Kingpin in the Daredevil movie is good while black Wally West in The Flash is awful despite the movie being panned and the show praised. It's all about execution, changing established characters roles only works if it really is better than what was done before and fills the role nicely.

We won't know how the show will be until it starts airing but its fun to speculate. I'll admit that most of what we are getting are red flags but we don't know.

TMNT fans aren't known for their approval of changes despite that the OT is full of them from Mirage, then again most people who like the OT didn't know what Mirage in spite of the internet telling us that everyone was a mirage fan since always. Just look at how The Next Mutation is treated.
You forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming. Which changed many iconic elements (MJ, Flash, May, Uncle Ben not existing, Peter's suit being like Stark's etc) just for the sake of change.

I guess that's the trend with these reboots. It's like the more reboots a property gets, the more each reboot subsequently gets further & further away from the original source material.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #1562
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
Maybe to you, but not to a lot of us.

His stand alone episodes were just him 'fixing one of his own mistakes'. That's it. You want examples?

Slash And Destroy? He mistakenly made Slash cause he was the one who took the ooze and kept it there, didn't pay attention, had nagged at Spike about his brothers...and thus almost got them killed in one of the more brutal beatdowns that his brothers got. And it was Raph's fault.

Spider-Bytz? Raph got mad, got their picture taken, kept screwing up, and at the end had to come and fix his own mistakes.

Raph tried to lead, failing horribly and almost ending up in getting Mikey killed. Which they didn't follow up on in future stories.

The Roach who was mad because Raph tried to kill it...thus Raph helped cause the Roach to go after them, and got to be so much of a Chicken that he ran off when his family was in trouble.

Or when Raph found Zog and pretended to be his 'commander' without telling his family about it? When Zog gains back his head? He speaks of how the Triceraton Empire values loyalty and honor, and Raphael had none of those qualities since the guy had lied to him and told him that he/Raph was Zog's commander, thus he will activate a Triceraton Beacon, alerting the Triceraton Armada of the Kraang's infestation of Earth, and giving them the signal to begin their attack and destroy Earth. Which lead to blowing up the Earth. And for those who want to counter that? Watch the episode again, and give me a counterpoint. Please do.

Let's see...what else: getting turned into a plant, or turned into a vampire way early on in an arc and was deemed useless/a hassle to deal with...thus not helping the other Turtles in dealing with the monsters at all, not doing anything with the fact that it was him and April with Splinter when Splinter was killed (the second time...you think maybe they could have done something with Raph witnessing that firsthand and right in front of him), getting mind-controlled and getting no payback from that, stupidly getting his own brain switched with a Kraang...how many examples does one need?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude. I'm just stating these in a matter of fact way.

1. What made Raph an important, necessary part of the team? Especially in the last couple seasons? Honestly nothing...other than falling in love with a mutant lizard and getting Chompy...which even THAT lead to the Earth being in danger once again (because of Raph, who brought Chompy with them)...so that's ANOTHER mistake he had to fix.
2. If Raph had died in say...the beginning of season 3...would anything have changed? Nah, not really.

He had no importance in the results of the main storylines and he was just the butt of many jokes.

Leo got to save the day in multiple season finales, and take out the Shredder.

Mikey got to be the expert of Dimension X as well as many moments to shine (making the antidote to save them from the parasites, saving them from the 'killer pizza'...as silly as that was...they weren't stories of 'Mikey fixing the mistakes that he started in the first place ala Raphael).

Don got to be the one making the mutagen to turn people back into humans, among other things.

Even April became more of a worthwhile teammate than Raphael. Feel free to name all of the 'accomplishments that 2012 Raph made as a character' without having to go 'well, he fixed a mistake that he got himself in'.

The guy was even afraid of HORSES for crying out loud (yeah I know, for a joke...Ha and Ha).

I could go on for a long time. Trust me. If you disagree? That's fine. But I would just say that I don't really get where you're coming from...the 2012 Raphael was just a detriment to the team. A constant hassle who either someone else needed to bail out or got controlled, switched, 'planted', ran from bugs/horses, knocked out, or defeated...or 'he had to fix the mistake he/himself' started.
Amen to that. You summed it up perfectly. Clearly the worst handled version and total waste of a character. Maybe this time it'll be better.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #1563
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
Amen to that. You summed it up perfectly. Clearly the worst handled version and total waste of a character. Maybe this time it'll be better.
uh oh, you where critical. Cue rant from certain members ;o).

but I do agree that with each reboot, things seem to get away from the source material just for the sake of change. and each person who changes something, if it WORKs, pats themselves on the back for their 'ingenuity'. sigh.

I'm willing to give black april a chance, IF and ONLY IF because she WAS black for a few early issues before they decided what to do with the character. but I hope this isn't a permanent character change just to add in more diversity. and that's normally what this stuff reeks of in hollywood, because the hypocrites are too scared to add new diverse characters.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #1564
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

This is shaping up to suck big time.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #1565
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'm disappointed Splinter won't be a Turtle and then have Leo, Mike, Don and Raph be a pack of Rats.

but the really important question is-

will we get 'Cowabunga', 'Booyakasha', or will it be something new?

more importantly, when will we start seeing the new toys?
Old 11-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #1566
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i'm disappointed Splinter won't be a Turtle and then have Leo, Mike, Don and Raph be a pack of Rats.

but the really important question is-

will we get 'Cowabunga', 'Booyakasha', or will it be something new?

more importantly, when will we start seeing the new toys?

Maybe they won't even have a phrase. Booyakasha was Cipes idea for Mikey in 2012, I liked it better than Cowabunga but I think it will die with 2012, Cowabunga is more likely to be used again.

Toys, closer to the time, after we've seen the designs
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #1567
matteso586
Stone Warrior

I know it's a late reply, but I don't think that April will be an African American in this series. The voice actor doesn't need to be the same skin tone as the character they're voicing. Take Cree Summer and Dave Fennoy for example.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #1568
THGhost
Puppet Master

Hopefully we'll see the Turtle designs by the end of 2017.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #1569
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
I know it's a late reply, but I don't think that April will be an African American in this series. The voice actor doesn't need to be the same skin tone as the character they're voicing. Take Cree Summer and Dave Fennoy for example.
The character ethnicity has been confirmed, she is.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #1570
myconius
Abby Normal

but will they still eat Pizza???

maybe they'll now eat Hot Dogs, or Hamburgers or Halal food?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #1571
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
but will they still eat Pizza???

maybe they'll now eat Hot Dogs, or Hamburgers or Halal food?
I think the Nick Turtles ate stuff besides pizza, I might be remembering that wrong. But Mikey was definitely still obsessed with it.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 11-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #1572
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I think the Nick Turtles ate stuff besides pizza, I might be remembering that wrong. But Mikey was definitely still obsessed with it.
They all loved it still in 2012 but didn't someone say something about pizza being their weakness, like it was bad for them in the new series? or was that part of the fake leak information also?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #1573
myconius
Abby Normal

in this new version they are going to eat Sea Bass, so we'll finally get to see Bass to mouth.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #1574
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I hope they rather entertain us with well written stories and characters. Not change things just for the sake of it, or in PC.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #1575
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Agreed.

Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.
Which turtle fights off the entire Foot Clan making his way across the city until he's finally surrounded by all of them PLUS Shredder in the original comics?

Which turtle fights off dozens upon dozens of Foot ninjas until Shredder bests him and tosses him off a roof?

Leo is a bad ass in his own right and he's often overlooked at just how skilled he really is.

He's dedicated, disciplined, and supposed to be a tactician. As far as what a "ninja" is in pop culture, Leo is the one that most often offers that. The stealth entry, the sword fighting imagery. Yet he's also the antithesis of a ninja at the same time. He's honestly a samurai at heart more than the "anything goes" ninja. Honor, fealty and dedication to his family rather than a Shogun, there's the spirituality of the samurai in Leo. Just as a samurai lived their life ready to die for their master, Leo seems like he would be willing to sacrifice himself for his brothers without hesitation.

That dedication is what sets him apart. While Mikey often plays video games or watches TV, Raph would rather go and do his own thing, and Don is tinkering with machines, Leonardo dedicates himself to honing his skills to absolute perfection and nothing less will do. Because if they aren't honed to perfection, he will not be prepared to defend his family.

I'd actually like to see them expand on "samurai Leo" in having him practicing more of the traditions of samurai; learning archery, reading poetry, learning calligraphy. Things that seem unnecessary but the discipline itself is why they're necessary to him.

Hell, a samurai nature would be interesting to have him butt heads with Splinter, who is training them to be NINJA, who were masters of subterfuge, espionage, assassination, and any means necessary tactics. Having Leo struggle to reconcile the two would be an avenue to explore and offer more depth that most don't consider exploring.

Last edited by SwiftNinjaFox; 11-03-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #1576
THGhost
Puppet Master

I could totally see Casey as a homosexual. (I'm joking)

Old 11-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #1577
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I could totally see Casey as a homosexual. (I'm joking)
Wouldn't surprise me, this seems very PC.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #1578
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
You forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming. Which changed many iconic elements (MJ, Flash, May, Uncle Ben not existing, Peter's suit being like Stark's etc) just for the sake of change.
Hold on, now, nothing says Uncle Ben didn't exist. They're just not blatantly in your face about it like showing Batman's origin every new film.

"When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you." - Peter Park in Civil War. That pretty much explains his wrestler to hero origin due to Ben's death.

In Homecoming, he tells Ned he can't let Aunt May find out he's Spider-Man, not after everything she's been through. What tragedy would that be if not losing her husband?

I'll agree changing MJ, Flash, and the standard Spidey suit being Iron Spider suit without looking like Iron Spider was all a bit too much, though.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #1579
THGhost
Puppet Master

Uncle Ben did exist in Homecoming. Just because he isn't mentioned by name, that doesn't mean he didn't exist. It was done that way because audiences are no doubt sick of the same old thing.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #1580
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Which turtle fights off the entire Foot Clan making his way across the city until he's finally surrounded by all of them PLUS Shredder in the original comics?

Which turtles fights off dozens upon dozens of Foot ninjas until Shredder bests him and tosses him off a roof?

Leo is a bad ass in his own right and he's often overlooked at just how skilled he really is.

He's dedicated, disciplined, and supposed to be a tactician. As far as what a "ninja" is in pop culture, Leo is the one that most often offers that. The stealth entry, the sword fighting imagery. Yet he's also the antithesis of a ninja at the same time. He's honestly a samurai at heart more than the "anything goes" ninja. Honor, fealty and dedication to his family rather than a Shogun, there's the spirituality of the samurai in Leo. Just as a samurai lived their life ready to die for their master, Leo seems like he would be willing to sacrifice himself for his brothers without hesitation.

That dedication is what sets him apart. While Mikey often plays video games or watches TV, Raph would rather go and do his own thing, and Don is tinkering with machines, Leonardo dedicates himself to honing his skills to absolute perfection and nothing less will do. Because if they aren't honed to perfection, he will not be prepared to defend his family.

I'd actually like to see them expand on "samurai Leo" in having him practicing more of the traditions of samurai; learning archery, reading poetry, learning calligraphy. Things that seem unnecessary but the discipline itself is why they're necessary to him.

Hell, a samurai nature would be interesting to have him butt heads with Splinter, who is training them to be NINJA, who were masters of subterfuge, espionage, assassination, and any means necessary tactics. Having Leo struggle to reconcile the two would be an avenue to explore and offer more depth that most don't consider exploring.
you've summed up Leonardo brilliantly.

this new 'cool guy' image for Leo as well as the choice for voice casting holds zero appeal for me at all.

you want to change Leo from being the leader? whatever. make Mikey the leader for all i care.

even the Solson martial arts training guide had said (in different words) the Katana blade is a weapon that requires absolute discipline to weald, and should not be taken lightly.

what always drew me to Leonardo in the past was his dedication, determination and perseverance.

but isn't this new show is supposed to be lighter, and more humor based anyway?

guess it doesn't really matter at that point.

BOOYAKA-BUNGA-SHAAAA!!!

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters