The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #41
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The whole idea of Mikey realising he isn't as good of a ninja as his brothers is an interesting one but joining the Foot to train with them sounds like complete overkill. Not as much as Donatello going to a whole other universe to learn from Bruce Wayne for the same reason in the second Batman/TMNT crossover but definitely close.
I think April said it best the 2012 version where she tells the other Turtles that they don't appreciate him.

I'm most versions Mikey's just the kid brother. He is capable of being more talented in Ninjitsu then any of this brothers, but he ruins his potential of being so because he likes goofing off all the time.

So with his family, Leo's the leader, Raph is the blood knight, and Donnie is the brains, all he is the annoying kid brother who just gets in the way and doesn't do anything right. If that happens long enough, a person could be driven to feel they have no place in the family and go find a place of his own, even if that place is his greatest enemy.

So perhaps he might go along with joining the Foot, when his brothers would find out and confront him. He would yell at them tell them they never appreciated him before, now he's with a group that does see him for who he could be. Even when he has his doubts about the path he has chosen, he reminds himself that the Foot are his family now. This comes to a head later where the Shredder has the other Turtles captured and tells Mikey that he needs to show his loyalty to foot by executing his former companions.

Mikey at first looks like he's going to do it, but then realizes he can't. He tells Shredder that showing loyalty doesn't mean slaying those who matter to you. He possibly implores the Shredder and Karai to consider alternatives...do their groups have to be enemies? After all a their core they are all ninja, the Food has resources that could help the Turtles and the Turtles have abilities that could be useful to the Foot. Perhaps a time had come to put their fude behind them and learn to make a difference together. The Shredder would scoff at this and tell Michelangelo to watch closely. This might result in the Turtles and Splinter being demutated. Since he proved he wasn't loyal Mikey is kicked out of the Foot and left with his brothers and Father as just simple minded animals and his regrets.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #42
cloud
Stone Warrior

TMNT was one of the best sequels I've ever watched.
I think I rank it next to the original movie. Better than Secret of the Ooze.

It was great, fun, have heart and no Shredder. Shredder is a great villain but it gets boring that everytime there is a new turtles movie people think of the Shredder. Leaves no room for Baxter Stockman, Utroms, Tricertons and others
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Sure, if you're pissed off and disillusioned, anything makes sense. Even the idea that the people who spend all their time trying to kill you, maybe won't try to kill you if you're nice to them for five minutes. They're totally going to let bygones be bygones and accept you, and they're totally not setting you up to let your guard down so they can kill you a lot easier with no resistance. Right.

Sure. That makes sense. If the character in question is a complete f*cking moron who can't see that coming from a mile away.

I know Mikey is "The Dumb One", but I really, really prefer that he not be THAT dumb.

Bad idea. Plastic Man can't reach far enough to make it believable. And the audience would see the "twist" where the bad guys turn on him coming from ten miles away, which again, makes Mikey look like a moron, NOT sympathetic.

Nothing but "Nope". Half-baked fanfic at best.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #44
Galactus
Foot Elite

Kevin Munroe was a stand up guy when he posted here and clearly had a lot of love for the franchise but his ideas for were he'd take the sequels if it were up to him were pretty fan fic-y. Whether Laird or the WB would ever approve of them is a different matter.

Then again in some ways TMNT '07 is a bit fan ficy in itself. It takes place in a nebulous continuity were not only did the events of the 90s live action movies happen but seemingly much of their adventures in other mediums too. The characterisation resembled the 2k3 show but (and here is the kicker) the whole thing is basically a repackaged Fred Wolf episode.

He takes Splinter Vanishes and turned into a movie. Heck even the Stone Warriors could likely be a reference to the stone warriors in the '87 show. We know Laird liked the idea of the turtles fighting animated Terracotta Warriors but who knows that could have had it's genesis in Munroe pushing for characters resembling General Traag and co.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, "Professional Fanfic" is all the rage nowadays. It's the worst thing to come from Geoff Johns's rise to fame, acclaim and power in the early-2000s.

Johns was a fanboy who used to read comics and write letters to DC editors asking why they didn't do things that he thought were cool in his teenage, Freshman writing class brain, but didn't make a ton of sense or fit within what was firmly established. Like "Why can't Superboy be a clone of Superman AND Lex Luthor? WOW!" And they'd reply that the books had already given a million reasons why that couldn't be possible. Stuff like that.

So then, he grows up, gets the pen, and suddenly, ALL those things he wanted to see when he was 15 are canon, now, and the tons and tons of stuff that completely and thoroughly debunks and contradicts those ideas? "Those stories never happened. MY stuff is canon, now, deal with it."

He did some good and even great stories, but it didn't establish a good precedent for how to write an established licensed property. "Spitting on everyone else's hard work because you swear you're the smartest guy in the room" isn't very endearing, especially when you're asking people to just ignore a ton of things they already know. Now, 20 years later, an entire generation of "writers" came up who think that's the correct way to do things, and it absolutely is not. But you see it everywhere, now. And you can pretty much trace it back to him.

I like a lot of his stuff, I'm just saying. That approach to writing for a licensed property is bad for the industry as a whole. And before him, it didn't happen. Now, it's standard.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote