The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #7521
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've taken Lynch's "masterclass." Man, he's just such a character in himself. He's all about weaponizing dreams and meditation. That man needs to be given 100 million dollar budgets to be doing movies every year... unless Twin Peaks season 4 is going to happen... then he would need to focus on that!

Fun fact: "Mulholland Dr" was initially intended as a TV spinoff for Twin Peaks starring Audrey, as she attempts to break into Hollywood. When that didn't happen he retooled it as something not with Audrey, but it didn't get picked up. Then he shot more footage around that to make it a standalone movie.

It might even be my favorite movie ever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #7522
Leo656
The Franchise

That much, I do know about. I easily spend as much time reading about films I haven't seen yet as I do watching films in general. I'm obsessed with "making-of" and behind the scenes stuff. Sometimes those stories are just as interesting as the final product, if not moreso. Based on what I've read so far, I'm quite sure Mulholland Drive is going to be a lot of fun to watch, and perhaps even more fun to think on after.

He's such a Renaissance Man, as well. Film and music and painting, etc. etc., and how he puts so much of himself in his work. His work feels personal and intimate because it comes from such a deeply personal place. I really dig it. I was so, so glad that Gordon Cole had such a huge role in the 2017 series. You could tell he was having a blast, especially all of his scenes with Albert/Miguel Ferrer. And man, speaking of Miguel Ferrer, did that dude bring it to his last big role before his untimely passing, or what? I knew he had a role, but I couldn't believe what a huge role he actually played. Such a shame he passed away, but man, what a way to go out. Same could be said of every other actor who sadly passed during or after the filming, of course.

But yeah, I'd kill to sit and have a beer (or coffee and pie ) with Lynch and just shoot the sh*t. He seems like a really fun guy. Everyone who's ever worked with him raves about him. I sincerely hope he gets to do a lot more work in the years to come, since he's kinda getting up there.

I've heard a lot of people trash Dune. I haven't seen it yet. What's the supposed problem? Is it really problematic or did people simply not "get it"? I mean, all I ever heard up until like 5 years ago was how "Fire Walk With Me" was one of the worst things ever set upon the Earth, and now it's (rightly) hailed as a masterpiece (as indecipherable to the uninitiated/unfamiliar as it admittedly is). Sometimes things are "bad", and sometimes they're really great and it just takes people a while to catch up. I hear a lot of people dismiss Dune so I'm curious what your take is before I see it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #7523
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But yeah, I'd kill to sit and have a beer (or coffee and pie ) with Lynch and just shoot the sh*t. He seems like a really fun guy. Everyone who's ever worked with him raves about him. I sincerely hope he gets to do a lot more work in the years to come, since he's kinda getting up there.
From what I've heard... and I hope it's not true... meeting Lynch might be a case of, "Don't meet your heroes."

Quote:
I've heard a lot of people trash Dune. I haven't seen it yet. What's the supposed problem? Is it really problematic or did people simply not "get it"? I mean, all I ever heard up until like 5 years ago was how "Fire Walk With Me" was one of the worst things ever set upon the Earth, and now it's (rightly) hailed as a masterpiece (as indecipherable to the uninitiated/unfamiliar as it admittedly is). Sometimes things are "bad", and sometimes they're really great and it just takes people a while to catch up. I hear a lot of people dismiss Dune so I'm curious what your take is before I see it.
Lynch largely refuses to talk about Dune because of all the studio interference. It's like Fincher with Alien 3.

It's fine, to me. It's hard to be objective about it, as I saw it as a little kid and slept in Dune movie bedsheets and all. I don't like how he changed the ending to rainbows and joy, but that could have been part of the studio interference that pissed him off. Super memorable, iconic scenes.

Absolutely worth watching, for sure.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #7524
Leo656
The Franchise

Interesting, interesting.

I'd still take the chance on meeting, on account of, I've met tons of "those people" and they've consistently been terrific, at least with me. Most notably, Notorious Dick Kevin Nash, for example. Total sweetheart. I think some people get caught at a bad time and perhaps others are bad at reading their signals. I'unno. My luck generally runs pretty good. I'd risk a hearty handshake and a heartfelt "Thanks for everything", if nothing else.

I've heard people say that Lynch doesn't like when people ask him to explain or go into too much detail about his work, but to be honest, that must get irritating. He must get that constantly.

Dune is on the list. The plan is to clean up next time we hit the FYE at the mall, probably later this week. It's cool that my wife is really excited to see these things, as well. I hadn't expected all that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #7525
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

John Wick is so ****ing ill.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #7526
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Pokémon Detective Pikachu. It was nice and the pokemen were cute. The scene with Mr. Mime tickled my funny bone.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #7527
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Noldor the Wise

A Silent Voice. If there's one Anime movie I'd recommend to anyone, it's A Silent Voice. Everything about the movie is designed to tug at your emotions.

it's still to this day, only one of two movies that made me cry
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #7528
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Detective Pikachu. It was super adorable
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #7529
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm trying to think of something to complain about, but it's too hard. This might be a perfect cross-over movie, as every character is handled with respect.
Spoiler:
If you're a fan of Poison Ivy and are mad about what they did with her, it still made sense and was funny.

Through the Golden Door
Old 05-25-2019, 03:56 AM   #7530
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum. Great non-stop action fun. Halle Berry was fine, but her action bits weren't as convincing as Keanu's. I have a lot of questions about who is and isn't "in the know" in the movie's world, because seemingly hundreds of ordinary people don't care about other people getting brutally sliced to death right in the middle of a crowd. Sometimes the action and certain people's skills are too unrealistic even for highly trained killers.

Through the Golden Door
Old 05-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #7531
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Edge of the World" via Netflix.

Not quite sure I'm buying the battles, they feel slightly hokey or not quite believable... but the kids are enjoyable and the aliens are creepy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm trying to think of something to complain about, but it's too hard. This might be a perfect cross-over movie, as every character is handled with respect.
Spoiler:
If you're a fan of Poison Ivy and are mad about what they did with her, it still made sense and was funny.
So glad to hear. Plus a few Amazon reviews I glanced over... making me look forward to checking this out. Hopefully I can find it in Walmart or Target on release day.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #7532
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Noldor the Wise

Detective Pikachu. Can't really fault it on many things. Movie was great all around
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #7533
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Godzillaaaaaa! It's so ****ing good. Way more monster madness than I was expecting.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #7534
snake
Disgusting

Dude, I am so hyped to go see it. I heard it's getting trashed for having "not enough human drama"? Like, get the f*ck outta here. Monster fights are WHY people like these movies.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #7535
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw "The Perfection" on Netflix. Lesbian revenge thriller that tricked me into thinking it was going to be either a dawn of the zombie apocalypse movie or an all-out plague movie. Some pretty clever misdirection. It was oh-kay.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #7536
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Dude, I am so hyped to go see it. I heard it's getting trashed for having "not enough human drama"? Like, get the f*ck outta here. Monster fights are WHY people like these movies.
Yeah, and those parts aren't even that bad. But don't worry, the movie's a club banger.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #7537
newfan
Mad Scientist

Caught a movie called Searching, I nearly turned it off early on as I wasn't keen on the format but it turned out to be quite interesting after all.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #7538
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Netflix's I Am Mother. Definitely a twisty one that keeps you guessing, esp after a while, and then still thinking it over after it ends.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #7539
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Rewatched all the live action Star Wars movies. I guess my standards have dipped, or I'm not paying enough attention but I don't find some of them as vile as other people on the internet.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #7540
Slade
god status

Batman vs Turtles was pretty good. Not quite sold on the turtle designs, but still better than Rise.

Isn't it Romantic. I laughed.

Dark Phoenix. I don't think all the hate it's getting is warranted. It wasn't the worst, but not the best either. Maybe I just like Sophie Turner.

Godzilla was awesome.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies