The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: A moment of silence for Hamato Yoshi
Looks like Shredder has given up on Karai ever seeing him as a father again 4 6.78%
Rockwell: (sarcastically) Egad, I could barely defend myself 4 6.78%
Mikey: My dudes, my bros, my Turts...it's that time again. Our series is winding down 7 11.86%
Splinter: Leadership doesn't come from your head, it comes from your heart 8 13.56%
Splinter...T.T 14 23.73%
Casey: (Flips garbage truck lever) Oops 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #141
MartiusR
Random Punk

I haven't read the whole thread (and don't know if somebody already mentioned it) but for me there was one scene, which spoiled this episode and in effect Splinter's death didn't made impression on me. The one after Shredder's attack on Mighty Mutanimals' hideout, when Splinter decided to split people on two (a bit too random BTW) teams and answered on (completely senseful) Leo's doubts with lame (in this context) phrase about "deciding with heart". Was he DELIBERATLY asking for death? C'mon, wise sensei, you even had your premonitions (sort of)!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Splinter's death ("permanent"), I feel that it's really good idea to show that even the best can fail, but not in such stupid way. And taking with him some random guys, amongst them - Casey Jones. CASEY.

I don't want to tell that it episode was bad - I like overall idea, that we're getting to the end in very intense way, and while I haven't seen yet the last episode, I'm guessing that I know where it's going (yes, I know, quite obvious at this point) and I feel that it's the "right way". Not to mention about "small pleasures", like this reference to first TMNT movie (I didn't feel that it was forced or too intrusive).

But that one stupid moment. Ugh.

(No offense, I know that many of you really enjoyed this episode, and that's cool, I just can't "ignore" this one scene)
MartiusR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #142
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Splinter did have premonitions about his death and I think he was having them again which is why he wasn't sleeping well and was meditating a lot. He knew that he was going to die and he was trying to prepare Leo and the others for that though Leo didn't want to believe that it would happen. His advice about following your heart was sound advice because sometimes you have to make decisions that may not seem wise but are the right ones. He split them up because he didn't know it was a trap the way Leo found out about it so it's not his fault that his sons weren't there to prevent his death. He probably knew they wouldn't be able to stop it and that's why it happened the way it did.

What are you talking about in reference to random guys? He had April, Raph, Casey, and Slash. None of these characters are random and I think he knows by now that Casey is a good fighter and would help them out which he did.

It's fine if you feel differently about that, but this is the way I see it. Splinter knew about his death and he decided not to tell his sons outright because he figured that he was ready to go and that they had to move on and grow without him. I feel it's a very realistic thing as we all know that we will eventually lose our parents one day and I like that Nick tackled this very important issue and ran with it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #143
Vicky82
Emperor

I did wonder if they should have had Casey in Leo's group and have either Donnie or Mikey with Splinter, so it balanced out the groups more. Casey still would of done the Garbage truck.

But now I wonder if Splinter had a premonition of seeing a Turtle badly injured/death as well as his death.

So that Turtle could of been either Mikey, Donnie or Leo, that's why he sent them to fight the Henchman.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #144
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiusR View Post
I haven't read the whole thread (and don't know if somebody already mentioned it) but for me there was one scene, which spoiled this episode and in effect Splinter's death didn't made impression on me. The one after Shredder's attack on Mighty Mutanimals' hideout, when Splinter decided to split people on two (a bit too random BTW) teams and answered on (completely senseful) Leo's doubts with lame (in this context) phrase about "deciding with heart". Was he DELIBERATLY asking for death? C'mon, wise sensei, you even had your premonitions (sort of)!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Splinter's death ("permanent"), I feel that it's really good idea to show that even the best can fail, but not in such stupid way. And taking with him some random guys, amongst them - Casey Jones. CASEY.

I don't want to tell that it episode was bad - I like overall idea, that we're getting to the end in very intense way, and while I haven't seen yet the last episode, I'm guessing that I know where it's going (yes, I know, quite obvious at this point) and I feel that it's the "right way". Not to mention about "small pleasures", like this reference to first TMNT movie (I didn't feel that it was forced or too intrusive).

But that one stupid moment. Ugh.

(No offense, I know that many of you really enjoyed this episode, and that's cool, I just can't "ignore" this one scene)
A part of me was wondering about this too (why Casey and April), but then my mind jumped to TMNT Legends. The most characters you can have are five.

Shredder in the game is silver class. Splinter as well. So an even match. Everyone else there would be neutral, except Raph. He's red class and silver is strong against red, but given Raph's ability to raise attack power and stuff he'd still be a good match for him.

Edit: Thinking about it, if Super Shredder was in the game, he'd probably be red class.

I know, thinking too much into it. From a show perspective, I figured he kept April around for the psychic thing and Casey is good with his projectiles and stuff. Good support. He, Raph, and Slash could do the close combat while those two hung back. Maybe that's why he wanted them along, and to keep an eye on them. Maybe he had a premonition or something.

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-05-2017 at 01:22 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #145
Icebot
Foot Elite

Whoa, the end of the episode was sadder than Same As It Never Was!

And did that yellow guy on the Chris Bradford show look like Carter?
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #146
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yep. He even did the mutation just like Carter's too.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #147
Prototype
Foot Soldier

At the end - just before Shredder stabs Splinter in the back - April looks all exhausted while embracing Raph, her smile and after-sex-hair completes the fantasy.

But seriously, the lair won't feel the same without Splinter and his wisdom.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #148
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I still can’t help but wonder how this will affect Leo. Of course all of them will be very sad and upset and will probably seek vengeance…sort of. Shredder’s gotta go. He’s a threat to himself and others. But anyway, what I meant by Leo here is that he’s the new leader and head of the family. How will the other three treat him? Will they be accepting of that or will we get pretty much a season 1/early season 2 situation? How will Leo take on this new responsibility? I guess I’m mostly curious about the dynamic between the four.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #149
Allio
Foot Elite

You know, had this not been the fourth time they have done this, I probably would have been more invested in Splinter's demise
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #150
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
You know, had this not been the fourth time they have done this, I probably would have been more invested in Splinter's demise
They didn't. It was once during the Season 3 finale which no one cares about.

Don't get this logic of how characters being in danger diminishes their deaths...

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #151
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I still can’t help but wonder how this will affect Leo. Of course all of them will be very sad and upset and will probably seek vengeance…sort of. Shredder’s gotta go. He’s a threat to himself and others. But anyway, what I meant by Leo here is that he’s the new leader and head of the family. How will the other three treat him? Will they be accepting of that or will we get pretty much a season 1/early season 2 situation? How will Leo take on this new responsibility? I guess I’m mostly curious about the dynamic between the four.
Yes, I'm curious about this too and how the others will treat him. I know he will take this hard and feel like he can't do it because he's not ready for it. I just hope the others don't treat him badly over this.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #152
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I did wonder if they should have had Casey in Leo's group and have either Donnie or Mikey with Splinter, so it balanced out the groups more. Casey still would of done the Garbage truck.

But now I wonder if Splinter had a premonition of seeing a Turtle badly injured/death as well as his death.

So that Turtle could of been either Mikey, Donnie or Leo, that's why he sent them to fight the Henchman.
I wondered that. I think you might be onto something there.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #153
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

In all reality, Splinter has wanted to die since day one
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #154
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy One View Post
In all reality, Splinter has wanted to die since day one
I don't think he wanted to die, it's more that he was preparing his sons for a day he will no longer be there.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #155
Vicky82
Emperor

There is one way of bringing back Splinter

In the first episode of Season 5, one of the Turtles wake up, he goes to the bathroom, and hears that the someone is in the shower and assumes it's one of his brothers but it turns out that it's actually Splinter.

He's shocked and it turns out the 2nd half of season 4 is a dream.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #156
Vegita-San
Emperor

with this show, i wouldn't put it past them saying 'in the next episode, splinter recovers from near mortal injuries'...

when you threaten to kill him off at least 4 times, when you finally pull the trigger, the surprise is gone.

I'm just going to binge watch season 5. this show is too goofy for me.
brandon isn't that great of a writer or story editor if he doesn't realize the suspense will be gone if you fake out the death 3 times before that.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #157
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
with this show, i wouldn't put it past them saying 'in the next episode, splinter recovers from near mortal injuries'...

brandon isn't that great of a writer or story editor if he doesn't realize the suspense will be gone if you fake out the death 3 times before that.

The show is goofy for you because a character dies? I'd love to know what kind of logic this is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #158
ABrown
Banned

Quote:

when you threaten to kill him off at least 4 times, when you finally pull the trigger, the surprise is gone.
Yeah, you're not wrong.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #159
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:

You actually might be surprised to find they don't. Not to give spoilers but there is a moment at the farm house
Old 02-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #160
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:

They've only done it once...