The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #141
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I was recently wondering, how similar will the 2018 Rise of the Tmnt be to this show? We know it is 2D and more lighthearted than the Nick show so there's that.

If they do use FW elements, I hope its the actual style rather than using the names like Irma, Bebop and Rocksteady on completely different characters like the Nick show did. Not that it was bad, I actually liked that approach but I'd like to see Rise do the opposite.

I think a new tmnt show with FW style humour and tone could possibly be pulled off and added upon without using any (or atleast most) of the FW Original Characters.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #142
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I've already reported To The Nines for insults. I don't understand why people are trolling an appreciation thread?
You do not want to keep going there with me right now.

Let. It. Go.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #143
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

If they do use FW elements, I hope its the actual style rather than using the names like Irma, Bebop and Rocksteady on completely different characters like the Nick show did. Not that it was bad, I actually liked that approach but I'd like to see Rise do the opposite.
Irma was purposely a bait-and-switch character because she was a robot and Kraang subprime, but Bebop/Rocksteady are the same characters just reimagined like every series does. I wouldn't call them completely different characters at all.

It's pretty obvious that no show is going to keep the characters 1:1 the same as any past incarnation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #144
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Irma was purposely a bait-and-switch character because she was a robot and Kraang subprime, but Bebop/Rocksteady are the same characters just reimagined like every series does. I wouldn't call them completely different characters at all.

It's pretty obvious that no show is going to keep the characters 1:1 the same as any past incarnation.
Yeah, I guess Bebop and Rocksteady weren't the best example. The Nick versions do share quite a few similarities to the originals and are probably among my favourite in the Nick show.

What I meant more specifically, that I should'e clarified in my earlier post, is that I would like to see the self aware and sarcastic humour of the Old Toon come back in Rise with entirely new characters rather than see a new version of Bebop, Rocksteady and so on with a different style of humour like the Nick show did.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #145
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm really curious what the humor will be like in general. The Nick cartoon had pretty standard modern day cartoon humor since in shows like Teen Titans and current cartoons. Also with the anime expressions or crazy scenes they do, which is common in shows these days.

The original cartoon humor isn't really common anymore. I can't really think of any cartoon from say the late 90's through the 2000's that's similar to it.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #146
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm really curious what the humor will be like in general. The Nick cartoon had pretty standard modern day cartoon humor since in shows like Teen Titans and current cartoons. Also with the anime expressions or crazy scenes they do, which is common in shows these days.

The original cartoon humor isn't really common anymore. I can't really think of any cartoon from say the late 90's through the 2000's that's similar to it.
Yeah, that kind of humour hasn't been used in a long time. Thats partly why I'd like to see it come back with a twist so audiences used to modern humour aren't completely lost, and we could possibly get a resurgence.

Weird, how in the late 90s, people were most likely ready to move on from the FW style of humour, to either gritty to more modern type of humour in animated shows, but now many people don't like modern humour for being too loud/in your face, and I imagine they would welcome a tmnt show using a completely different style of humour.

I have a somewhat similar view on the Sonic shows, I don't find the new ones funny like Aosth which had alot of slapstick, don't get me wrong, but it was also funny in my eyes due to the self awareness/way the characters interacted, especially the villains.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #147
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I think a new tmnt show with FW style humour and tone could possibly be pulled off and added upon without using any (or atleast most) of the FW Original Characters.
I think it could, too. especially since people are starting to tire of gloom and doom and grit and gritty.

what I worry about is the intelligence level of that humor. I don't want to see fart jokes or internal self aware jokes, or worse. and by internal self aware, making fun of the style ala turtles forever. not breaking fourth wall jokes.

As for Howie, It's weird how one of the more action packed fights is in an episode so annoying and goofy. Don basically rams his staff end through the shredders eyes.

I thought the first episode was a little more fun. the second episode was a bit slower.

Heh, odd memory. during a junior high media class, one of my fellow students brought in the fight of Irk in phantom guise fighting off the turtles in the basement 'See the turtles, attack the turtles...' and claimed it as 'extremely violent'. LOL.

Imagine that report now with all the stuff we've gotten since?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #148
CyberCubed
Overlord

Either that or shows tend to be serious most of the time like Young Justice and some other recent DC shows. Although Brave and the Bold had some silly humor, but I didn't watch that show too closely.

I don't watch any of the current CN/Nick/Disney shows so I have no idea what goes on in them, but from what I see online in small clips and stuff it's the same type of loud humor that's in your face with characters screaming at each other.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #149
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

A show combining FW style self-aware humor with Mirage style character drama would be a good balance. Especially, if they mostly stick to Mirage characters and story elements, but not being afraid to bring in a FW or Archie character if it fits the story.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #150
Powder
So tired of this place

God, no. No.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #151
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
God, no. No.
I agree. That's rather jarring.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #152
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
A show combining FW style self-aware humor with Mirage style character drama would be a good balance. Especially, if they mostly stick to Mirage characters and story elements, but not being afraid to bring in a FW or Archie character if it fits the story.
I don't like the comedy of the FW show and I don't think it'd mix well with Mirage, certainly not if you're trying to keep the general tone the same.

If you had to, I mean really had to force the tone of Mirage with more comedy, I'd say you'd have to rethink the type of comedy. Given how depressing Mirage seemed to go for with it's tone a lot of the time, I'd say something like Rick and Morty or some other dark comedy might form a better template than FW. If you're gonna blend, let's say Casey becoming an alcoholic over commiting manslaughter, you better make it something ****ed up.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 AM   #153
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
That wouldn't be fitting of Mirage at all. I mean, Mirage is the source material and FW is pretty far from the source material, so what would be the point of turning Mirage into FW v2.0? That would be the last nail on the coffin for the TMNT property to become 100% FWnised.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #154
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I don't recall too much humour in Archie. It went from adapting, then som new stories, international travels, Dimension X adventures and then some dark cyberpunk-stories with Earth being flooded in the future. Great, but not so much humour.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #155
Vegita-San
Emperor

As much as I like Fred wolf Stuff, obviously, I would NOT want the franchise to have to rely on it over and over and over again.

Especially since most people don't seem to get what made the original series so fun.

For instance, the Rat King. the original series had him be this fun, mysterious character who was neither good guy, nor bad guy, but helped out both sides when it suited him. the 4Kids series turned him into a stupid clone cyborg (one miscalculation in that show), and the Nick Series..i'm not sure what was going on there. The IDW series kind of combines both in a far more interesting take as an immortal prankster god.

Sure, Turtles Forever came the closest. with the latest crossover coming second. but even then each had their hang ups with the fred wolf stuff that made it seem more like a parody than a tribute at times.

I'd like to see more like what IDW is doing. see how you can pay tribute to what has come before, but at the same time, Doing LOTS more original stuff to try and expand the universe. Koya and Bludgeon are rather interesting. As is Apolex and the NEW Angel. as well as Harold.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #156
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
the 4Kids series turned him into a stupid clone cyborg (one miscalculation in that show), and the Nick Series..i'm not sure what was going on there. The IDW series kind of combines both in a far more interesting take as an immortal prankster god..
Rat King's origin in the 4kids series was great, him being the failed Bishop clone the Turtles defeated in Season 3 made sense for him. Nick's Rat King might very well be one of my favorite incarnations of the character too.

I also don't understand why those two origins bother you but you praise IDW's, their take on Rat King is by far the most different version of the character we've seen to date.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #157
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
For instance, the Rat King. the original series had him be this fun, mysterious character who was neither good guy, nor bad guy, but helped out both sides when it suited him.
All his appearances as a main character are good (I don't count his appearance in "Pizza by the Shred" as a main character).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #158
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
All his appearances as a main character are good (I don't count his appearance in "Pizza by the Shred" as a main character).
twas funny though they almost ignored him and all he wanted was a pizza
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #159
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Although its never explained why, I loved how the Rat King becomes very bloodthirsty and evil in his final appearance in season 8.

I dig the trenchcoat/hat, and I think the combination of his new attitude, his giant mutated rats and access to the Shockwave made him the most dangerous that the Rat King has ever been.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #160
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I dig the trenchcoat/hat, and I think the combination of his new attitude, his giant mutated rats and access to the Shockwave made him the most dangerous that the Rat King has ever been.
I also liked that the Turtles captured him for good in that episode. He didn't escape or get away at the end and it was his last appearance.