The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-18-2005, 01:01 AM   #81
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Mozilla, IE sucks donkey nuts.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:05 AM   #82
Super Moderator

Java web programs freeze up my computer, too. The only way I know to get around this is to copy the link into IE and run it through there. Yeah, it's unsafe, but I have yet to fix it on Firefox. It's probably just a plugin fault and you need to redownload Java somewhere. I'll give a better explanation later today, because I thought I was going to get a good night's sleep in my bed, but then fell asleep on the couch. Good job, self.

As for monitors, mostly any LCD monitor does the job, as long as you get a good maximum resolution at a nice refresh rate. Dell has some pretty good LCD screens. I'm not sure how high they go, though. I know the Alienware website has some good LCD screens, like the 30" screen that costs $2,000. Nice.

EDIT: Oh wait, your video card determines maximum resolution and refresh rate. It's way too early. So basically any LCD monitor would be good, as long as it's not a no-name brand.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 PM   #83
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Im not sure if you know Winamp at all but my Winamp is really getting on my nerves. When I use it to play more then one song at a time*Like a whole CD* it does this little annoying glitch thing Im not sure how to fix. Before the previous track is over the next track will startt playing. So two tracks are playing at once. *Example* Im llistening to track 5 and about 10 seconds before it ends track 6 just starts playing* I tried looking in all the options and I dont get what to do
If you have any advice I would be very greatful. Many Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #84
Super Moderator

iTunes does that, but it fades out the previous song. Did you get a new version of Winamp recently? Maybe the new version does that purposely. I never use Winamp, because iTunes is much better for mass mp3 organization, so I can't be of much help with your problem. All I can say is maybe a newer version does that.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #85
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

Spitfire, it sounds like you have a crossfade plugin selected. To unselect it, open the menu (usually right clicking opens it), and go to Options>Preferences>Plug-ins>DSP/Effect. Select "none".
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #86
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Hey Ai, were there ever any known problems with the Sound blaster Audigy cards? I can't get the sucker to install on XP.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #87
Super Moderator

Shouldn't be. My Sound Blaster Audigy 2 drivers install just fine. Did your card come with a CD? The right drivers should be on there. If not, the website should have them.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 PM   #88
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Ah ha, found the driver! Thanks Ai.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #89
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Hey Ai, I think I'm in need of help. Despite the fact that my system is a general F***-up, done by yours truly (I am going to redo it sometimes soon), I can't seem to get my newest version of Firefox running. Stupid piece of trash computer!

Well, here's how the problem goes: I install the thing, works perfectly fine, but I can't get any hotlinked images working. Sigs, Avatars, Images in posts... all gone, not to be retrieved by blasted Firefox.

What shall I do, O wise one?
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #90
Super Moderator

Hm...that might be a settings problem. In your options, if you go into Web Features, there's an option that says "Load Images." Is that checked?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #91
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow
Photobucket has been down for a while now though...:/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
You mean for registering? Everyone's pictures show up, and I've been adding/deleting pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
What? o_O

I haven't been able to access it for over a week, and pictures hosted on photobucket don't show up on my comp either...

...Don't tell me Penny Arcade isn't really down either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're definitely having some network problems. Photobucket is fine, and Penny-Arcade has always been up.
Gah...Haven't had any problems with other sites though...

Any ideas how to fix this?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #92
Super Moderator

Thanks for reposting, because I'm an idiot and don't remember how to move posts to another thread. Anyway, I'm home from my boring ass Programming in C class and ready to tackle this.

Okay, this is a sort of odd case, because your computer being stingy with two sites shouldn't really be like that. One thing I can think of is you have some hardcore firewall installed with some odd parameters. If you do, try taking that off and see what happens.

Another thing that springs to mind is you don't have the right ports open, which is odd, because most routers (assuming you're using one) tend to have the ports necessary for internet access wide open, unless you're using a firewall. You can try opening up some ports or maybe even use DMZ in your router configuration. If you don't know how to do that, I'd suggest looking it up in your router manual, because the procedure differs from router to router.

Do you use Firefox? I know there's an option in there that disables the showing of images. Maybe you have that checked, and that's why Photobucket pictures don't load. That doesn't really explain why you can't even access the site, but at least it's something to consider.

Try those things and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #93
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
One thing I can think of is you have some hardcore firewall installed with some odd parameters. If you do, try taking that off and see what happens.
I have Norman Ad-Watch, but I've had it for a while and I've never had any problems with it. I tried disabling it, but no luck.

Quote:
Another thing that springs to mind is you don't have the right ports open, which is odd, because most routers (assuming you're using one) tend to have the ports necessary for internet access wide open, unless you're using a firewall. You can try opening up some ports or maybe even use DMZ in your router configuration. If you don't know how to do that, I'd suggest looking it up in your router manual, because the procedure differs from router to router.
I'm not sure what a router is, so I don't think I have one. Also, this has been happening since a week or so, but as far as I know none of my settings have been changed. I've never had any problems with PA or Photobucket before.

Quote:
Do you use Firefox?
Nope. Good old Internet Explorer for me.

Crazy computers. x_X
Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #94
Super Moderator

Are there other computers in the house with internet access? Have you tried loading those pages on those computers? And I suggest getting Firefox just for the sake of seeing if it's Internet Explorer that's blocking you access to those two sites. You can always uninstall it.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #95
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Nope, only one comp in the house. I'll check out FireFox though, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #96
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Tried using Firefox, but I still got the same problems.

However, I did import all my settings from IE, so it's possible the problem lies there. But like I said, everything worked fine before and I haven't changed any of my settings since.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #97
Super Moderator

Hm...I see. Well, the last thing I can suggest to you, and I know it sounds like a bad idea, but you should contact your internet provider and ask them if there's something wrong with your connection. They may be blocking you for some reason.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #98
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

The number of websites that I can't get access is growing...x___X

Anyway, I'll try messing with my settings a bit and if that fails I'll tell my mom to give my provider a call. Thanks for the help.

*E* This is f*cked up...Everything is working again now. Stupid computers. Well, I'm not complaining...

*Catches up on Penny Arcade*

Last edited by Mecha Cow; 04-20-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 AM   #99
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Everytime I try to install an older game it gives me an error message saying that the game cant be run on DOS or windows but their games I used on my old computer which has windows. One is Kings Quest Mask Of Eternity and the other it Solider of Fortune Gold. The first is from 1998 and the 2nd is from 2000. I see no reason why they wouldnt work. I know close to nothing when it comes to computer games. I know how to install them and that's it. Both games say they run on Windows 98 so why they wouldnt work on Windows XP baffles me. I thought PC games were backwards compatible <_< Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #100
Super Moderator

Windows XP's DOS program isn't really DOS. DOS died once Windows XP came out. Now it's called "command." I'm sorry to say that you can't run DOS-based games anymore on Windows XP, since DOS doesn't technically exist anymore.