The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
Sumac
Banned

Why of all things People Eating Tasty Animals decided to go after Turtles which were never depicted as particularly notorious meat eaters?
Was it a problem somewhere before or this, so called "activists" decided to go after TMNT, because, release of the new designs?

Also, how they expect writers to incorporate veganism into series? Make Turtles announce their love for the grass and veggies every 5 minutes?

Seriously, it seems they just want to remind about their existence and use TMNT as a vehicle for that. Oh, and they are quite late since most likely 1 season is already have been made, but as always logic and activism don't go hand in hand.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
Turo602
The King of Kings

At this point, why not? It's not like they haven't raped this franchise enough already.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Shark_Blade
Emperor

And I want PETA to die but we can't all have what we want.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #24
Sighphi
Foot Soldier

you are allowed only one episode with a vegan pizza. that is all.
Sighphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #25
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

PETA Wants the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles To Go Vegan

Quote:
PETA has found a new venue to push their anti-meat eating agenda: the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The animal rights group, infamous for comparing cheese to rape and stirring up outrage over the clothing video game characters wear, now has its sights on the popular children’s cartoon, whose characters’ love for pizza has sparked their ire.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have always professed their love of pizza, with usual Italian meat toppings. This isn’t about to change with the animated series’ revival on Nickelodeon, unless the network caves in to PETA’s demands.

PETA, which has been outed for routinely euthanizing healthy puppies and kittens at its shelters, is calling on the cable network to have it so that the Turtles only eat vegan pizza—indisputably the worst culinary “delights” that non-meat eaters have to contend with.

In a statement to Nickelodeon, PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange asks, “Modern kids are embracing vegan food, so why shouldn’t modern Ninja Turtles?”

“Vegan pizza is popular, and it’s healthier and far kinder to animals than old-fashioned dairy cheese pizza. PETA thinks that’s something the ‘Heroes in a Half Shell’ would support,” Lange wrote.

Lange’s statement was echoed by an open letter addressed to Cyma Zarghami, the president of Nickelodeon, calling on the Turtles to abandon their love of pepperoni, ham, chicken, and tuna fish for vegan alternatives. The goal is to inspire more children into adopting a diet of soy and other “cruelty-free” vegan products.
http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/31/pe...turtles-vegan/

Of course, too much soy can be harmful:

Quote:
Seeking healthful foods, Americans are eating more soy than ever. But recent research with animals shows that consuming large amounts could have harmful effects on female fertility and reproductive development.

Soy is ubiquitous in the American diet. Over a quarter of all infant formula sold is made with it, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration promotes it in foods to reduce the risk of heart disease. School lunch programs across the country are even adding soy to hamburger patties.

Many of soy’s health benefits have been linked to isoflavones—plant compounds that mimic estrogen. But animal studies suggest that eating large amounts of those estrogenic compounds might reduce fertility in women, trigger premature puberty and disrupt development of fetuses and children.

Although most studies looking at the hormone-disrupting properties of genistein, the main isoflavone in soy, have been conducted in rodents, many scientists believe the findings may be relevant to humans as well.

“We know that too much genistein is not a good thing for a developing mouse; it may not be a good thing for a developing child,” said Retha Newbold, a developmental biologist at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. More definitive answers, she said, may lay ahead in future long-term human studies.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nes-genistein/
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I'm betting these folks would still cry if the Turtles were shown eating some of their natural food, like worms. Or if there were an iteration where they were mutated alligator snapping turtles, and their 'diet' had to be carnivorous.

You can't please these people.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Bug off PETA...

While I've generally respected their intentions, they don't need to try to intrude on things like cartoons. Esp TMNT, damn you.

If the show picked up the OT's habit of naming various concoctions, but tried to go with some more normal pizzas AND included some non-meat varieties as a suggestion to a young audience... fine, great, do it. But full on vegan/vegetarian, no thanks. They need more energy and calories than that if they're gonna save the world.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Of course, too much soy can be harmful:
It's also one of the top 8 allergens.

A friend of mine who is vegetarian is extremely allergic to soy, we almost got her killed when we where visiting a fancy sushi place and when we asked if the plain vegetarian option was soy-free without the sauce, and the waiter said yes without actually knowing. She caught right away that there was soy in the food and we avoided a lot of stress, but she was ill the rest of the day from a small taste.

She's also been a veggie eater for long enough that her stomach no longer breaks down meat, and that's how we found out the local wok place cooks the vegetarian options in the same pan as the meat dishes.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #29
k_lala
Hench Mutant

But early exposure to soy, nuts, to babies is a good thing to avoid food allergies.

Also vegetables is good, and yes i don't have a problem with having the turtles eat veggies but being pure vegan isn't the most healthiest thing either. I'm sorry vegans but lay the f off! Meat is also good and healthy. Just because its your life choice don't throw it in the face of others like its the best thing for everyone.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #30
k_lala
Hench Mutant

This whole movement thing is a joke! The biggest example of that was the Power Rangers movie, that did nothing! It actually made more hard core fans upset. Honestly feel like these people who are asking this aren't doing it for change. It's because they have a job at whatever corporation and they need to show on there powerpoint presentation at their next annual meeting what have you done.

We changed Power Rangers, we've changed TMNT, we made April Black, etc. But what they fail to show on those slides are the negative feedback it all received. I think the only positive one that worked was Miles Morales as an alternate Spider-Man.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #31
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
That guy even feeds his dog a vegan diet, which...is a practice of debate among animal professionals.
And this is why some people don't respect vegans. You have a choice in what you eat. You shouldn't be forcing that on others, especially your pet who has no say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
This whole movement thing is a joke! The biggest example of that was the Power Rangers movie, that did nothing! It actually made more hard core fans upset.
If by "hardcore fans" you mean people who never watched past MMPR, then yeah "fans" got upset alright. Upset it wasn't exactly the same as the original series. Upset that Zack was Asian and Billy was black. Upset that the JDF wasn't a Power Ranger or none of the original cast reprised their roles. I've been to many Power Ranger forums, and the overall opinion was that it was fine. The main complaint was that there wasn't enough ranger suit action.

Quote:
We changed Power Rangers, we've changed TMNT, we made April Black, etc. But what they fail to show on those slides are the negative feedback it all received.
Power Rangers has been changed many times already. The new movie wasn't breaking any tradition, other than trying to carter to an older audience.

And fail to see what exactly? Bringing "black April" into this is irrelevant at this point considering we haven't seen anything of her past what she looks like. People complained about April being young in the 2012 series, and her character turned out fine. If the character is received badly its likely not gonna be because of he skin color.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Geez the fact that this is a thing is both hilarious and sad. if peta wants to push their agenda on kids they should get their resources together and make their own cartoon
Quote:
This whole movement thing is a joke! The biggest example of that was the Power Rangers movie, that did nothing! It actually made more hard core fans upset. Honestly feel like these people who are asking this aren't doing it for change. It's because they have a job at whatever corporation and they need to show on there powerpoint presentation at their next annual meeting what have you done.

We changed Power Rangers, we've changed TMNT, we made April Black, etc. But what they fail to show on those slides are the negative feedback it all received. I think the only positive one that worked was Miles Morales as an alternate Spider-Man.
Uh what exactly does the power Ranger reboot have to do with this exactly.

Last edited by slingtheory; 02-03-2018 at 03:23 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #33
Donaterro
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
That guy even feeds his dog a vegan diet, which...is a practice of debate among animal professionals.
Beast Boy was a vegetarian in TT.. not sure if he was in the comics.. but dogs and cats are both carnivores. You can kill your pet if you don't feed them properly, there was a story of someone's cat almost dying because the owners wouldn't feed it meat..
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #34
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaterro View Post
Beast Boy was a vegetarian in TT.. not sure if he was in the comics.. but dogs and cats are both carnivores. You can kill your pet if you don't feed them properly, there was a story of someone's cat almost dying because the owners wouldn't feed it meat..
Actually dogs are omnivores in fact its possible to feed a dog a non meat diet cats meanwhile like you said are mostly carnivores so it would be basically impossible. Also

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-exp...rian-dog-diets

Last edited by PApagreg; 02-03-2018 at 09:30 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #35
Donaterro
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Actually dogs are omnivores in fact its possible to feed a dog a non meat diet cats meanwhile like you said are mostly carnivores so it would be basically impossible. Also

Cool, I'm more of a cat guy so I'm not up on the dog diet but I know cats need meat.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3644213.html
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 AM   #36
Angry_Raph
Foot Soldier

This just seems like a ploy for peta to push the "vegan agenda" onto children. I do think that peta is probably banking on children watching the show and deciding they should eat a certain way, except kids don't always decide what they are eating. When I was a kid my parents made dinner and I was expected to eat what they cooked. Then again I was from a poor family and they weren't about to make a second type of food just to cater to my special diet.

Who's to say the cows don't enjoy being milked all the time. We honestly don't know what they are thinking, but these clowns want to be the voice for an animal that they don't understand. PETA represents all these animals and speaks out for what they believe is best for them, and they don't actually know what any of these animals are thinking.

I don't care for peta considering they euthanize animals at their shelters and call it "mercy". They want to be held to a different standard despite doing exactly what they crusade against. Hopefully Nickelodeon doesn't cave to this bs suggestion, but then again we have a human Cheeto as president. So I guess we are way out of the realm of what was thought to be impossible.
Angry_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:15 AM   #37
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post

Dogs are facultative carnivores while cats are obligate carnivores.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #38
sdp
-

We're only about a decade away before clean meat becomes feasible and likely another decade before the general population accepts it.

Like clean energy it's inevitable since it'll just be a better and cheaper alternative, it's just too bad people are too stubborn to change. Just look at gun nut Andrew as an example.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote