The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Chronicles of Narnia Revival Coming To Netflix

Quote:
Netflix has closed a multi-year deal with The C.S. Lewis Company to develop new series and film projects based on Lewis’ popular The Chronicles of Narnia books.

Under the pact, Netflix will develop stories from across the Narnia universe into series and films with Mark Gordon of Entertainment One alongside Douglas Gresham and Vincent Sieber serving as executive producers for series and as producers for features.

The deal marks the first time that rights to the entire seven books of the Narnia universe have been held by the same company.

“C.S. Lewis’ beloved Chronicles of Narnia stories have resonated with generations of readers around the world,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. “Families have fallen in love with characters like Aslan and the entire world of Narnia, and we’re thrilled to be their home for years to come.”

In total the Narnia books have sold more than 100 million copies and been translated in more than 47 languages worldwide. Their highest-profile previous adaptation was the series of three Sony movies, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005), Prince Caspian (200 and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010), which combined have grossed over $1.5 billion worldwide.

“It is wonderful to know that folks from all over are looking forward to seeing more of Narnia, and that the advances in production and distribution technology have made it possible for us to make Narnian adventures come to life all over the world,” said Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis. “Netflix seems to be the very best medium with which to achieve this aim, and I am looking forward to working with them towards this goal.”

With the deal, Netflix is looking to build a Narnia cinematic universe that encompasses film and TV in the vein of Star Trek and Marvel, whose franchises cross over between mediums. The idea originated with eOne and its president and chief content officer, for film and TV, Gordon. Via his Mark Gordon Co, he had made a deal with the C. S. Lewis Company in 2013 for a fourth Narnia feature. Following the MGC’s acquisition by eOne, it was announced in 2016 that Sony and eOne would finance and distribute the feature. Instead, Gordon and chief eOne strategy officer Peter Micelli felt there was a bigger opportunity in building a film-TV Narnia universe, got The C.S. Lewis Company on board and took the package to Netflix. (Sony is not involved in the project.)

“Narnia is one of those rare properties that spans multiple generations and geographies,” said Gordon. “eOne and I are excited to be collaborating with The C.S. Lewis Company and Netflix who have the capacity to translate the Narnia universe into both stellar feature-length and episodic programming. We cannot wait to get started on the multiple productions we hope to undertake.”

With The Chronicles of Narnia Netflix is getting a major fantasy franchise as rival Amazon has been bulking up in the genre, including ordering a high-profile Lord of the Rings TV series in a mega deal with the J.R.R. Tolkien estate.
https://deadline.com/2018/10/netflix...ne-1202475272/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Now this is interesting; I like the concept that they will make the books into narina films, but the question is, what will the series be about? My guess is it will concentrate on the skipped over years where the Pevensie children were the high kings and high queens of Narnia. Our only look into that time period, was a brief glimpse in the book 'a horse and his boy'.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sweet! Just do a better "Prince Caspian" and "Dawn Treader"... those last two films were abysmal.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Sweet! Just do a better "Prince Caspian" and "Dawn Treader"... those last two films were abysmal.
I know exactly how you feel. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was mostly faithful to the book and it was probably my favorite film of 2005. After its very successful theatrical run, Disney thought this series could rival the Harry Potter films. The sequels were major letdowns. They strayed way too much from their source materials. I also didn't enjoy some of the portrayals of the new heroes and villains.

Also, Bog Iger admitted delaying Prince Caspian from December 2007 to May 2008 was a mistake. Walden Media wanted to release a dud of a film known as The Water Horse for the holiday season instead. National Treasure: Book of Secrets did very well around that time, but that movie was much more suited for the summer than Prince Caspian. I had high hopes for Voyage of the Dawn Treader after the producers admitted some mistakes they made with the predecessor's script, but that movie was even worse. I truly hope that Netflix knows what it is doing with these books.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I know exactly how you feel. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was mostly faithful to the book and it was probably my favorite film of 2005. After its very successful theatrical run, Disney thought this series could rival the Harry Potter films. The sequels were major letdowns. They strayed way too much from their source materials. I also didn't enjoy some of the portrayals of the new heroes and villains.

Also, Bog Iger admitted delaying Prince Caspian from December 2007 to May 2008 was a mistake. Walden Media wanted to release a dud of a film known as The Water Horse for the holiday season instead. National Treasure: Book of Secrets did very well around that time, but that movie was much more suited for the summer than Prince Caspian. I had high hopes for Voyage of the Dawn Treader after the producers admitted some mistakes they made with the predecessor's script, but that movie was even worse. I truly hope that Netflix knows what it is doing with these books.
I was discussing this with my friend at work, and I suggested that Netflix could start by adapting The Magician's Nephew. It'd be a fresh start and a fresh look at the series, without kicking things off with a Lion, Witch, Wardrobe retread.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:34 AM   #6
Vicky82
Emperor

Cool i always liked the Nania stories. I remember watching the BBC series.

So I will be watching this new series.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote