The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I enjoyed Cavill as Superman, but I wouldn't be all that sad if Affleck departs as well. I never found his portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman interesting.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Statement from Warner Bros.: "While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged"
ROFL, that neither confirmed or denied anything in regards to Superman, just that Cavil still has a good working relationship with WB, meaning he could be on any of their movies, which doesn't necessarily have to be a DC film. They have made no decisions on Superman, which is just a fancy way of saying "we're not pushing forward with any"

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
ABrown
Banned

I was never able to see Cavill as Superman anyway. Neither him nor Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman seemed like very good fits at all.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The articles are so, so stupid. "Cavil is WALKING AWAY from Superman!"

How can he walk away from something that no one is offering him? That'd be like saying Stephen Amell is "WALKING AWAY" from playing Casey Jones again.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #25
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Michael B Jordan is being considered for Superman. There is a Superman from Earth 2 that is black and his name is Val-Zod.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/...e-henry-cavill
Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Michael B Jordan is being considered for Superman. There is a Superman from Earth 2 that is black and his name is Val-Zod.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/...e-henry-cavill
I like Val-Zod, but I certainly do not want to see him replace Superman.

In other news, Ben Affleck has officially bowed out as Batman according to the NY Post :
https://nypost.com/2018/09/12/ben-af...superman-exit/

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Michael B Jordan is being considered for Superman.
No, he's not. FAKE news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
In other news, Ben Affleck has officially bowed out as Batman according to the NY Post :
https://nypost.com/2018/09/12/ben-af...superman-exit/
Hm, OK... let's look at the source in the article...

"Ben Affleck is hanging up the cape, according to a report that the actor is leaving the Batman franchise."

That's it, right there at the beginning. No link is provided to what "report" they're talking about (but it's safe to assume is from any one of a number of speculative news articles from today). And the movie isn't even to the casting phase... nothing for him to "walk away" from. More FAKE news.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

WB has a history of bad decisions, but this would be a huge mistake.

Superman is historically the hardest role in all of Hollywood to cast. They once spent ten years getting turned down by every actor in the industry, before whittling it down to Henry Cavill and Brandon Routh. They picked Routh, who was fine, then got rid of him when the response to "Superman Returns" was tepid. Luckily for everyone, they still had Cavill on stand-by and he still wanted to do it, so transitioning into "Man of Steel" wasn't as difficult. He's also a huge fan of the character and takes his role seriously, which helps. The last thing we need is an actor who's apathetic or dismissive of such an important role.

They wasted a lot of time and money already trying to find this guy. If they let him go, it'll easily be another ten years before another Superman movie while they "figure things out" again. It's simple math: Nobody wants to play Superman, except this guy, who REALLY likes playing Superman. Just stay the course.

We'll see. I don't think the people at WB realize what a huge mistake it would be if they let him go.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Losing both "Batman" and "Superman" would be like a giant nail in the coffin for all of the DCEU plans. If all of this is true, than I think WB should just stick to standalone movies. They want to be different from Marvel? Well, there is a chance!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Losing both "Batman" and "Superman" would be like a giant nail in the coffin for all of the DCEU plans. If all of this is true, than I think WB should just stick to standalone movies. They want to be different from Marvel? Well, there is a chance!
I feel that Justice League was the final nail in the coffin. I think it's been a bit of a "rebirth" behind the scenes since that movie failed. Aquaman and Wonder Woman probably would have been scrapped as well, if they weren't deep into production, once that thing bombed. Wonder Woman having a higher chance of going forth, given it's success.
Point being, I get the feeling the new man in charge wants a fresh slate. Just speculation though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #31
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Cavill's Instagram response

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnpPIrmF..._web_copy_link
Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #32
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
His manager also says he's still superman. So all that news about him quitting Superman is fake news.
https://twitter.com/DanyGarciaCo/sta...02939261808640
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
His manager also says he's still superman. So all that news about him quitting Superman is fake news.
I'll believe it when either WB or Cavill give a straight answer.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #34
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
That's what Andrew just told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
WB has a history of bad decisions, but this would be a huge mistake.

Superman is historically the hardest role in all of Hollywood to cast. They once spent ten years getting turned down by every actor in the industry, before whittling it down to Henry Cavill and Brandon Routh. They picked Routh, who was fine, then got rid of him when the response to "Superman Returns" was tepid. Luckily for everyone, they still had Cavill on stand-by and he still wanted to do it, so transitioning into "Man of Steel" wasn't as difficult. He's also a huge fan of the character and takes his role seriously, which helps. The last thing we need is an actor who's apathetic or dismissive of such an important role.

They wasted a lot of time and money already trying to find this guy. If they let him go, it'll easily be another ten years before another Superman movie while they "figure things out" again. It's simple math: Nobody wants to play Superman, except this guy, who REALLY likes playing Superman. Just stay the course.

We'll see. I don't think the people at WB realize what a huge mistake it would be if they let him go.
I know somewhere people coming out with this news said that the two reasons they have for doing this is because WB feels they're not going to be releasing a new Superman film anytime soon (even though they announced a MoS 2) and that they want to shift the focus towards Supergirl.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 09-12-2018 at 09:48 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #35
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Damn! Can media communication get any worse?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
(even though they announced a MoS 2)
No they haven't. Or do you mean years ago when they did, and then it morphed into BvS?

And they shouldn't be announcing "MoS2." They should be announcing it as "SUPERMAN." A super solid "SUPERMAN" that delivers the kind of solid, iconic Superman movie everyone wants yet still builds from MoS is exactly what might serve to propel the DCEU in the right direction, while stuff like Wonder Woman 2 keep the good will flowing on the side.

Instead of just WB throwing all their money at the Harley Quinn EU. Or FAKE Joker movies or whatever.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #37
Shark_Blade
Emperor

DCEU is dead except Wonder Woman (and maybe Aquaman).

Wait so him quitting is fake news? Confusion.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Wait so him quitting is fake news?
Utterly. It's the new "Affleck is out as Batman" thing. It's getting traction because it's new to talk about, as even the media outlets are getting tired of doing the same contradictory and baseless Affleck stories... though even during the Cavill stuff they're still sneaking that in there.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #39
Galactus
Foot Elite

Whether he's officially out or not probably makes little difference. The likelihood of making a followup to Man of Steel is extremely low and honestly after it's performance I don't think anyone is clamoring to make Justice League 2 either.

This may all be to create talk for the DCEU and maybe gauge how many people are there for them to attempting to fix the Superman and Justice League franchises but as of right now the only thing Caville has to look forward to as far as playing Superman is cameos in other DCEU movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Superman is historically the hardest role in all of Hollywood to cast.
Superman is only really hard to cast because the character is seen as ultra iconic that they can't take even a slight risk.

There's nothing hugely special about the character that requires such an extensive cast search. Maybe if they were going for Christopher Reeves version were he's playing two very different characters with Clark Kent and Superman but the likelihood they'll go that route an any modern Superman movie is low. All they need is someone suitably buff that can act. That's it.

Other than RDJ as Tony Stark I don't think there's ever been a casting of a prominent comic book character that hasn't met with skepticism from comic book fans especially when we see them in set photos in awkward looking costumes. The regular public don't care about that, they don't have this preconceived notion of characters they barely know and frankly they haven't properly known or cared about Superman for years.

Batman leapfrogged over him in terms of cultural relevancy years ago followed by Spider-Man. To a whole generations of kids (the ones who make and break these movies) most of the MCU characters are bigger than Superman. This may sound bad but it means the pressure should be off.

Just stick Superman in a movie with another super strong villain to fight. That alone would be successful enough to examine what people liked about it to focus on a sequel. Stop trying to make a huge reverential followups to the Donner ones, stop trying to do a storyline from the 90s that was never that good but seen as iconic at the time or make something edgy and introspective like Man of Steel (particularly if you got someone Zach Snyder who can't really pull that off). Anyway that's my little rant on the subject.

Last edited by Galactus; 09-13-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They don't need to resell us Cavill Superman as cameos in crappy movies. Do a bare bones SUPERMAN movie and that will sell itself. Bring in Brainiac or whoever they want. Make it topical with political disillusionment as a backdrop. Make him the beacon of what the American dream is supposed to be.

In 5 years or less no one is going to care that there was a sh***y JL movie. And bring in Lex Sr.. Damage control done.