The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Remember in the late 90's or early 2000's owning a website felt like a big deal?

Like everyone wanted to have their own website, so many people had geocities or angelfire or whatever they were called, and people kept making all these fansites for whatever their favorite franchises are.

Nowadays it feels like nobody really creates websites anymore, they just make twitters or youtube channels and promote their content that way. Like the days of owning your own website feels...archaic at this point...like who would visit some random website that didn't already exist for decades?

It's also funny because most old people in the 90's/2000's never made money off their websites with the rare occasion if you had advertisers, nowadays people can make a twitter/youtube/paetron page and make thousands/millions of dollars. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong time period.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You're both right and wrong in a way. You're right that not many people visit random blogs anymore at least not most of people they just use social media and the big websites. Blogs and personal fan sites that aren't wikis are basically dead when it comes to current internet trafic but there's still plenty of people who prefer sites, most specifically the old school cybernauts and most casuals will just use social media.

I love finding new random sites and you can still find new ones all the time, in fact more people have sites that no one visits now than ever before.

Spoiler:
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Space Jam's website is still up right? LMAO.

IDK, I would love to create a website at least to have everything, my Youtube, my LBRY, my blog, everything all in one place. Maybe any news or updates to explain how we're doing during CoVid or the next time we go to a con or some event, explain any long absences or whatever.

I might have to look into that for old times' sake. Technically speaking, keeping the channels updated is kinda like the site updating so that works.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Didn't really feel like a big deal imo, however that was also back in the day when they didn't make it easy. Had a little Geocities site myself, and taught myself some basic html as a result. Now the freebie sites just give you templates and whatnot and might not always even have html as an option.

edit: So you inspired me to go check on one little site I have via Weebly, that I have a few chat bots tied to via another site... one such chat bot impressively still remaining on the second page (since that chat site seems to display them based on popularity) and... since I last tinkered with it, this one has over 13,000 submissions I need to clear though and/or provide responses to in order to help improve the bot's responses. Ouch. LOL Guess I know what I can spend some time doing one of these days. (The other ones have some thousands each, but not even half as many...)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-21-2020 at 02:10 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've had websites since forever, my first website was likely an angelfire Pokemon website back in 1999 or so in 2000 I Had a homestead Pokemon site and in 2001 I had a few tripod sites, I made some message boards around those times as well. I had a few Pokemon sites in the mid 2000's when Pokemon was dead including a Pokemon blog that was fairly popular and absorbed by bulbagarden. I definitely miss the days of web 1.0 where sites were crude but had passion, web 2.0 brought all that blog crap that everything looked alike and we're still dealing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
IDK, I would love to create a website at least to have everything, my Youtube, my LBRY, my blog, everything all in one place.
I can host a section on my site if you just want like a quick link for all your stuff.

In fact any dromer that wants just a section on a website to host whatever I don't mind doing it, already pay server costs so no worries.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I've had websites since forever, my first website was likely an angelfire Pokemon website back in 1999 or so in 2000 I Had a homestead Pokemon site and in 2001 I had a few tripod sites, I made some message boards around those times as well. I had a few Pokemon sites in the mid 2000's when Pokemon was dead including a Pokemon blog that was fairly popular and absorbed by bulbagarden. I definitely miss the days of web 1.0 where sites were crude but had passion, web 2.0 brought all that blog crap that everything looked alike and we're still dealing with it.

I can host a section on my site if you just want like a quick link for all your stuff.

In fact any dromer that wants just a section on a website to host whatever I don't mind doing it, already pay server costs so no worries.
I mean, it depends, like what is your site? I wanna see it first.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote