The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-21-2023, 07:42 PM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

I have been into digital media since the PS3 first made it widely possible for anyone to have a home media server in the house. After that I added a MyCloud media server at home which has run reliably for a little more than a decade now.

But I still pick up physical media for 4k movies, the occasional cd that I love as a hard copy and an off and on record collection. I believe in owning hard copies of the stuff you love because streamers have been and will continue to turn their movies and games into "licensing" and simply take them away from you.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #22
Dpooly84
Banned

I'll never be done with physical media. When video games finally go digital only is when I'll stop play new games lol
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:49 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpooly84 View Post
I'll never be done with physical media. When video games finally go digital only is when I'll stop play new games lol
For videogames, this may be it. Playstation 6 and the next Xbox will probably be digital only. Digital sales of games are much higher than physical games, and the PS5 without a disc drive has sold a lot more.

Nintendo will likely stick with physical games a few more gens, but I think for Sony and Microsoft this is the last gen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
The Goosebumps situation is very serious and grim. Scholastic actually censored and rewrote some of R.L. Stine’s books, and the guy’s not even dead yet.
With or without the original writer's permission?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:42 PM   #25
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
With or without the original writer's permission?
Without his permission. He didn’t even know about it until someone brought it up to him on Twitter.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #26
IMJ
Emperor

Like all things, the "insanity censorship" will be phased out by future adjustments going forward. Writers will have to have things in contract deals that expressly prohibits censoring their work.

Simple fact is that once that starts happening, even the large publishers will have to comply or they won't get the books.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:07 AM   #27
Warhorse
Emperor

My problem is finding BluRay players that will last a while. Now, I'm lucky if I can get them to last a year when they used to last a good decade.

Because of that, I stopped by DVD's and BluRays. But I'm not planning on selling my hard copies anytime soon.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #28
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
My problem is finding BluRay players that will last a while. Now, I'm lucky if I can get them to last a year when they used to last a good decade.

Because of that, I stopped by DVD's and BluRays. But I'm not planning on selling my hard copies anytime soon.
You definitely get what you pay for, man. I bought my OPPO UDP-203 in Summer 2017 and it's still running perfectly without noise.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:51 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't remember the last time I put a disc into a blu ray player.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:38 AM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

I bought a Sony 4K player back before I had a capable console, and it's one of the worst pieces of tech I've bought.

Yes, it plays the 4K discs and they look great, but the functionality is terrible. The system is unresponsive and I need to re-connect to the wi-fi every time I turn the thing on, for some reason. It's like they weren't even trying. It wasn't cheap either. If you need a 4K player, just buy a console.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't even remember what the last Blu ray player I owned was. I know it was a Sony one.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just use my PS5 as the 4K blu-ray player.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #33
Dpooly84
Banned

Just bought the 2012 tmnt complete series, now they need to release 2k3
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember going to Best Buy and seeing stacks of DVDs. I haven't stepped one foot into Best Buy in 10 years.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #35
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

It hit me odd going into a Best Buy about 2 years ago after not going to one after a few years and seeing them have more isles of action figures/toys than the coupe small isles of movies /tv shows. I know times have changed but I can remember going into Best Buys and seeing them stacked to the brim with isles and isles of movies.

Good times!
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't remember the last time I stepped into a brick and motor store to buy electronics.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #37
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Just bought the Nick TMNT complete series. I had digital copies I..."acquired" during its run but felt I should go a head and own it outright. And physical media is a great back up in my case, because I usually rip them to my PC any way.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:50 AM   #38
ssjup81
Foot Elite

As surprising as it may sound, I never really had much physical media in general past Beta/VHS stuff and unfortunately, most of those got damaged when the house flooded. I have some tapes still, though. My father still has some physical media (like his records, some CDs), but just like with our tapes, a lot were damaged from flooding and had to be tossed. I have some DVDs here, but not many. Lost quite a few CDs as well.

For me, personally, when it came to DVDs anyway (and I've never had a Blu-ray player, but I do have an external one for my computer), I would only buy them if I felt they had rewatch value (or for nostalgia purposes to share with my cousins' kids since I wasn't planning on having any). There aren't too many shows for me that I can just rewatch compared to when I was a kid. Same with some movies. There are some I can watch over and over without ever getting bored and may do a yearly watch of it, but others, it's once in a blue moon. I think the main thing that kind of killed the rewatch thing was my being in Japan and not having access to my DVDs and stuff so I started watching things less and less.

I guess, for me, I was more into trying to collect CDs and Concert DVDs...but, they were mostly Japanese artists/bands/groups/musicians. I used to use my PS2 to watch my Region 2 DVDs, as I'd change the region using my Action Replay disc.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

I'd buy the Nick show and replace my "digital copies" as well but I know that as soon as I cave and do it they will turn around and announce the series in HD.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:21 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I remember going to Best Buy and seeing stacks of DVDs. I haven't stepped one foot into Best Buy in 10 years.
That or the little DVD/blu-ray stores that also sold music like in the malls. Aisles and aisles of them. It's almost becoming like a Toys 'R' Us nostalgia thing now, as they've all but dried up into nothing. If those DVD/blu-ray stores that sell music still exist, they're mostly only selling vinyl records to hipsters, Funko Pop figures, and some random DVDs/blu-rays in "Buy 2 Get 4 Free" bins.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote