The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #521
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I'm fondest of Roger Craig Smith, the current voice actor, and Booms version of Sonic, which has his flaws, but is generally a good dude and actually pretty funny.

The video game version is generally up there, but has had his ups and downs. There was a solid decade there were the default portrayal of Sonic was "disaffected ass" who was a clear attempt to be cool that went so far that he just felt like a dick.

Quote:
Sega fail!
PSN trophies leaking would be more of a Sony failure. This actually happens from time to time. It's not just Sonic.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #522
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I gotta say Jaleel White's Sonic voice is the best one - very unique, it captures the youthful and carefree spirit of Sonic. The others are passable albeit a bit generic imo.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #523
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Hard to say, Jaleel White, Jun'ichi Kanemaru and Ryan Drummond are definitely in my top three. I also really liked Jason Griffith, in particular that cocky chuckle he gave to Sonic.

There hasn't really been any actor for Sonic I haven't liked, with Sonic's Schoolhouse being an exception. I don't really like Roger Craig Smith, on one hand I don't think I can accurately give my opinion on his take because he hasn't been in a story that didn't leave me sighing and rolling my eyes, but on the other hand I think his voice is too deep and gruff for a high-speed youthful teenager.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #524
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I would prefer if Robbie Daymond was Sonic's voice actor. However, Roger Craig Smith is doing an exceptionally fine job as Sonic.

Anyway, I found out Infinite's possible identity.

Spoiler:

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #525
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

A Sonic Forces tie-in comic just released TODAY!

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/10/12/s...-ost-revealed/
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #526
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #527
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Uh, so some retailers are selling Sonic Forces early...and so far the reception for the game has been mostly negative. The level design, controls and even the more epic story the many were looking forward to are all apparently a downgrade compared to the previous boost games.

Another bit of worrying news is Sega hasn't given out review copies for Forces yet, the last Sonic game that didn't give out review codes was Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Y'know, the most poorly received Sonic game since 06? This, and taking into account the game's low price point, seem to suggest that Sega knew all along how mediocre the final product would be...and released it anyway. So much for all that talk about quality.

To summarize: Did you like Unleashed, Colors or Generations? Then you might want to just keep playing those games and only get Forces used or when a price drop happens.

So how about some positive Sonic news? Well, Sonic Mania continues to sell well on the Nintendo eshop and PSN. Tomy will be releasing a special Classic Sonic figure in March with interchangeable faces and accessories. I personally really like the chili dog he comes with.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #528
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

... and, I think I now know why the game's quality is subpar.

Spoiler:
The game only had a total of three level designers, when previous Sonic games ( Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations ) had about seven to nine level designers.

If that wasn't worrying enough, two of the Forces' level designers had never worked on any previous Sonic games. The third level designer had only previously worked on Sonic Lost World.

Needless to say, I won't be purchasing the game.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #529
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Needless to say, I won't be purchasing the game.
Judging from all the bashing leading up to the release, you werent buying it to begin with.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #530
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Oh look, the game just described itself!

Spoiler:

❤ How cute! ❤

Last edited by Papenbrook; 11-07-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #531
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Oh look, the game just described itself!

❤ How cute! ❤
I don't get it.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #532
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I don't get it.
Spoiler:
Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #533
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Watched a lets player (dashiegames) and read some tweets. I'm really hyped.

Can't wait to get the game!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #534
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Forces is pretty decent so far, but I'd caution anyone who's considering purchasing the PC port just yet.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #535
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Just beat the game yesterday in one sitting. It's a little underwhelming due to extremely short stages, even for Sonic (1-2 minutes) and bland level design but for what it is, it's fine. It's not bad in any particular way, but it doesn't do anything great either. About as mixed as Unleashed or Lost World. Hopefully, Sonic Team will take the criticisms to heart and work a lot harder next time. The four year development this game had was not enough.

I own it on the Switch and other than running at 30 FPS and a few scenes coming off a bit blurry, it looks beautiful.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 11-08-2017 at 10:33 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #536
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I got it on PS4. The Switch version sold out!! I'm a bit mad but I'm also glad it sells well.

So anyway I finished it around 7 hours. Really enjoying it tbh.

Here's my feedback after playing it.

Pros:
  • Lovely visuals
  • Smooth frame rate
  • Nice animation
  • Completing stages with S rank rewards you with good incentive - more outfits!
  • Customisation is really fun. I spend a lot of time often changing my character's look
  • Engaging story and plot
  • Most of the boss fights are great
  • Leaderboards makes me more competitive and awe at other people's achievements

Cons:
  • Classic Sonic controls is really weird and stiff. And he has no homing attack like modern Sonic so that sucks.
  • Tails is a wimp (why did he not fight along with Sonic like in Mania etc??? Just busy with his tablet and screaming Sonic's name)

Overall score: 8/10
Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #537
sdp
-

Seems to me from what I read that this game is an average 3D sonic game, not really bad but it looks especially bad after Sonicmania and being hyped as this anniversary thing.

I wish they had gone out full Sonic and Friends mode if it was going to be just another 3D sonic game instead of the "new" sonic they tried to market and backfired. It should've been an anniversary game that celebrated all his sh-tty friends, have the first game where you can control any Sonic playable ally he's had from the past. I'll be getting the game but likely not until it's on sale.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #538
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I got it on PS4. The Switch version sold out!! I'm a bit mad but I'm also glad it sells well.

So anyway I finished it around 7 hours. Really enjoying it tbh.

Here's my feedback after playing it.

Pros:
  • Lovely visuals
  • Smooth frame rate
  • Nice animation
  • Completing stages with S rank rewards you with good incentive - more outfits!
  • Customisation is really fun. I spend a lot of time often changing my character's look
  • Engaging story and plot
  • Most of the boss fights are great
  • Leaderboards makes me more competitive and awe at other people's achievements

Cons:
  • Classic Sonic controls is really weird and stiff. And he has no homing attack like modern Sonic so that sucks.
  • Tails is a wimp (why did he not fight along with Sonic like in Mania etc??? Just busy with his tablet and screaming Sonic's name)

Overall score: 8/10
Just have a slight criticism regarding your first con about the lack of homing. Why WOULD classic Sonic use homing when the original classic Sonic didn't? Seems pointless to claim that as a con.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #539
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Just have a slight criticism regarding your first con about the lack of homing. Why WOULD classic Sonic use homing when the original classic Sonic didn't? Seems pointless to claim that as a con.
I would understand as a result of different gameplay styles, but if Classic Sonic is too heavy/floaty for controls, wouldn't it save him? It would probably prevent death easier.

Also, he has used the homing attack before in Generations, but you either have to purchase it in-game (home consoles and PC) or progress in the game (3DS) first. The latter option still annoys me with Modern Sonic's stomp attack, an attack he should have had in the 3DS instead of earning it after the Dreamcast Era.

I watched through the story for Forces via cutscenes and honestly, I'm not impressed. Sonic has good dialogue and as per usual, I got a kick out of Knuckles and Eggman. However, the portrayal of Tails was terrible and it had the air of being rushed. So much potential with the concept not fully executed.

Spoiler:
Also, when I watched SomeCallMeJohnny's review, I was shocked on Blaze not being present. I know she's from an alternate dimension, but Silver, the hedgehog from the future, is in the game. Blaze, next to Knuckles, is my favorite Sonic character, too. Barring personal bias, if this is called Sonic Forces, why not have essentially every character introduced (notwithstanding the comics and shows) in the game?

Sdp also brings up a fair point, why not make the other characters playable and Sonic at the end possibly? Classic Sonic holds no purpose in the game;
I kinda wished more was done with this whole concept, it just feels... there.

Last edited by GoldMutant; 11-11-2017 at 06:47 AM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #540
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
As mentioned, Classic Sonic in Generations did have the homing attack as an unlockable ability. The ending of Generations even showed Classic trying to do the homing attack...but considering the major retcon that is the Classic games taking place in an alternate dimension instead of simply the past, expecting continuity of any logical sort seems out of the question. I'm a bit miffed at the retcon, but at the same time the lore of Sonic has been a mess since 2005...so it's simply just business as usual.

SomecallmeJohnny did a review of Sonic Forces and I more or less agree with it. Not bad, but not good either. My only hope with the series right now is the possibility of a future game by the Mania team. A new Adventure style game certainly sounds cool, but I just don't know. I'd need to see a proper story and gameplay trailer before I could properly give my opinion on something like that.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic