The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Lord Dregg or Malinga?

Nick and IDW love reviving old characters that are somewhat obscure and bringing them back. Lord Dregg debuted as the main villain for the final seasons of the original cartoon, and Nick brought him back in the Season 4 opener and he'll be a recurring villain.

Who wants to bet Lord Dregg shows up in IDW too eventually?

Last edited by CyberCubed; 10-19-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: !
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

If it lasts long enough, it probably is indeed a sure bet.

However, I do kinda hope IDW holds off on introducing Dregg. One, I don't care about the character. But more importantly, I'd rather IDW and Nick not run with the same big bad (one who isn't Shredder or Krang, I mean) concurrently.

I like my TMNT comics to pay homage and adapt that which comes before, but I don't want it treading too closely to any one particular series. If Dregg was the main threat in IDW and Nick at the same time, I feel like too many people would unfairly criticize IDW for following in Nick's steps.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Speaking of which, its funny how IDW and Nick revived all the same characters:

- Mutagen Man debuted in Nick, then IDW brings in their own Mutagen Man

- Pigeon Pete debuts in Nick, then IDW makes their own Pigeon Pete

- Slash shows up in IDW first, then Nick uses Slash

- Bebop/Rocksteady of course are the big ones, and funnily enough both series held off on debuting them until after a year into their run.

- Karai is Shredder's daughter/grandaughter in both, instead of going the Mirage Karai rotue

- Mondo Gecko appears in IDW Mutanimals, he also was in Nick's Mutanimals

Sure all the staples are expected like Baxter, Leatherhead, Rat King, Karai, etc....but its interesting seeing all these second and third tier characters return.

I'm half surprised we haven't seen Rahzar in IDW yet either.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Speaking of which, its funny how IDW and Nick revived all the same characters:

- Mutagen Man debuted in Nick, then IDW brings in their own Mutagen Man

- Pigeon Pete debuts in Nick, then IDW makes their own Pigeon Pete

- Slash shows up in IDW first, then Nick uses Slash

- Bebop/Rocksteady of course are the big ones, and funnily enough both series held off on debuting them until after a year into their run.

- Karai is Shredder's daughter/grandaughter in both, instead of going the Mirage Karai rotue

- Mondo Gecko appears in IDW Mutanimals, he also was in Nick's Mutanimals

Sure all the staples are expected like Baxter, Leatherhead, Rat King, Karai, etc....but its interesting seeing all these second and third tier characters return.

I'm half surprised we haven't seen Rahzar in IDW yet either.
It's a good point you make, and one I've observed as well. I think it's probably more a fact of both Nick and IDW are in a position to bring back characters that Laird and 4Kids never used, seeing how the 4Kids series was explicitly Mirage-only. No Bebop and Rocksteady, no Krang, no et al.

So they're both cherry-picking the BEST of those non-Mirage characters (Bebop & Rocksteady, Slash, Krang, Mondo Gecko) where they can best fit them into their seasons-long narrative. I'm not surprised we're only now (possibly) getting Bishop and Dregg, as they're both big bads who clearly compete for screentime with the better-known likes of Shredder and Krang.

All in all, I think now is the best possible time to be a TMNT fan since the original Turtlemania, even if some of the media (looking at YOU, Platinum Dunes) isn't up to par.

Hell, when the comics or cartoon are revamping characters even some of us die-hards don't remember (e.g. Winters), you KNOW we're in a good place.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno if it's necessarily inevitable, but I'd definitely support that move.

But I'd rather see the trend of reviving obscure characters continue in unique ways as opposed to each universe kinda going toe to two with their choices. As in, I'd sooner hope to see Dragon Lord or Vam Mi before someone who's already getting their second chance.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW has revived old characters before Nick, like most notably Angel, someone I never expected to see again let alone become such a major character. And now again with Jammerhead and Darius Dun.

Null returning was by far the best return, given such a major Archie villain never appeared anywhere else and making Null a woman was a great move.

Funny with Armaggon appearing in Nick, Null in IDW, I always said its a matter of time before Old Hob turns himself into Verminator X.