Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
...Volume 4???

But yeah, IDW is doing fine as its own thing, even when taking strides from other versions. Plus there's City Fall and Northampton, which are Mirage staples. Same as the TCRI fiasco, but it was a different situation for IDW entirely.
Volume 4 had some damn good stuff in it; Utrom First Contact, Splinter's death, Mikey and the Triceratons/Styracodons, Donatello and the other Utroms...

But there is, of course, also the April/Renet cockroach orgy.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That is true, but those had their fair share of issues. It was honestly a little cluttered, even with the great stuff, and I can't forgive the reptile things in the Donatello arch talking like Gollum.

The Xihad storyline got left in the dirt big time, and that could have made a fantastic storyline by itself.

My personal issue with the "April and roaches" thing is more the fact that her infertility suddenly ended while she was in roach form? What a huge slap in the face to her and the readers.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd love some more slice of life and existentialism.
+ depressing stuff.

Not need, but needed. It needed to be more like Mirage, now, it's kinda too late.

You know what makes Mirage better than IDW for me? The TMNT don't feel like guest stars in their own series. This whole giant group thing is tired IMO. Extended/adoptive family is an important theme, but the turtles need more alone time. AND, on earth, they were unique. This universe is overloaded with mutants, though. The turtles are just 4 more pennies in the freak jar.

& like Speng's said, there's not much Mirage stuff they can do beyond adapting stories we've seen enough times already, or characters nobody cares about.

They've more or less found their groove, though, and there's been less punch-pulling in the last year or two. It's a good book that I rarely complain about. It's in ways not my ideal, but it's pretty satisfying.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

None of the rest of the Mirage characters were interesting because they were intended to be one-shot characters or throwaway catalysts for a plot.

General Blanque and the Federation have been replaced by the Neutrinos...who are essentially the same thing just "good" and not war mongers. Volume 4 had no real new characters besides mutated dinosaurs and Styracodons who are just another alien dino race. Or Cha Ocho who is filled in by Jennika in this series. etc. etc.

The only thing IDW needs to explore more are the Triceratons, other than that all Mirage bases are covered.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
None of the rest of the Mirage characters were interesting because they were intended to be one-shot characters or throwaway catalysts for a plot.

General Blanque and the Federation have been replaced by the Neutrinos...who are essentially the same thing just "good" and not war mongers. Volume 4 had no real new characters besides mutated dinosaurs and Styracodons who are just another alien dino race. Or Cha Ocho who is filled in by Jennika in this series. etc. etc.

The only thing IDW needs to explore more are the Triceratons, other than that all Mirage bases are covered.
I think it depends on what version you prefer. It has lended heavily on both 2003 cartoon and Archie Comics of late. I could always use more of the 1987 cartoon influence personally because thst is my favorite version. I believe a fan wants a little more of their personal favorite version mixed in. Does it need 1987 cartoon influence? I don't know. It depends on if the narrative calls for it.

As far as The Federation is concerned,why can General Blanque nit be a renagade Neutrino?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #26
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm still dead certain the Neutrinos have some skeletons in their closet. While I doubt the King and Queen were involved in the Rebellion, maybe not even being involved at all, there's no way they're as peaceful as they seem to be.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post

As far as The Federation is concerned,why can General Blanque nit be a renagade Neutrino?
I guess so, but he's a rather boring character. The Federation was never anything more than a generic race of human aliens to give the Triceratons someone to fight. Even in the 4kids version they were barely any more interesting.

The Neutrinos are essentially the same thing, only they're always considered good and moral and they have pointy elf ears, so we don't need another humanoid alien race.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #28
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There actually was a mention of the D'Hoonibs, who declared war on the Utroms and then later surrendered ( ). My best guess is that Traxus filled the Blanque place, but obviously that didn't end well for them (what military master gets killed by a marooned spoiled brat with a pointed stick and a lizard?)
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess so, but he's a rather boring character. The Federation was never anything more than a generic race of human aliens to give the Triceratons someone to fight. Even in the 4kids version they were barely any more interesting.

The Neutrinos are essentially the same thing, only they're always considered good and moral and they have pointy elf ears, so we don't need another humanoid alien race.
My point is, I do believe there is room for them. The Federation can be a competiting ruler, a Zod-like character who is a neutrino and is disposed of. Hitler was evil and had his elite,but was Germany as a whole? No. So Blanque could be overthrown and exiled and attempt a comeback and attempt a coup of Zenter. If there is use IDW can find it!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #30
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

The aspect of Mirage I'd like to see more of isn't a content/character thing, it's a format thing. We have TMNT Universe now for shorter one-off stories but I'd still love to see more Mirage-style storytelling with one-and-done villains and random adventures that don't always tie into the big plot tapestry. I like Mirage's feeling of breathing room between stories.

The monthly comic market is much different now, though, and has different narrative constaints, people demand that stories "matter" and the one-offs that don't have any plot points are "filler" to be discarded, etc. so I don't think that kind of approach would be good for business.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #31
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'd really enjoy some 'slice of life' story-telling and give the characters so breathing room. having Michelangelo finally adopting Klunk would be really nice.

i do enjoy some of the simpler one and done stories from the Mirage days. at least we finally have Tmnt:Universe which is probably the closest we'll ever get?

one thing i've been feeling for a while is sometimes the Turtles really do feel like guest stars in their own book, and that really upsets me.
i love the series, but at times the Turtles really do feel like they've been reduced to supporting cast.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think Raph's adoption of Pepperoni has filled the Klunk role. With everything going on with Hob, Klunk might be awkward.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Wyrm issue in Universe is a perfect example of a one-shot story. It's self contained, and as far as we know, won't lead into anything else overall. Some random issues with one of the Turtles on a crazy adventure would be fine.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I think Raph's adoption of Pepperoni has filled the Klunk role. With everything going on with Hob, Klunk might be awkward.
I agree. Pepperoni is the Klunk for this series. However, was it not odd for a rurtke to have a rurtke for a pet when Raohael jept Slash as a pet? Sure, Raphael was mutated and Slash not but no backstory and plain awkward. It made me think of a human keeping a more primitive human as a let and no one batting an eye.

As far as the Mirage story-style, I am all for one off adventures , but not characters. Look at how big Baxter was after just two appearances and Rat King with a single alive appearance. The true limited usage of characters as I said drastically limits my interest in Mirage.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #35
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Pepperoni really doesn't help flesh out Michelangelo as a character, which is what i'd like to see.

Raph already has plenty of friends and relations in the series.
Michelangelo has Woody and Slash which the writers seem to like to put strains on his relationships with from time to time.
he didn't even really get much time with the Mutanimals before things headed south.

plus there are plenty of people that share their household with both cats and dogs.
heck if even bunnies and cats can get along then why not?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #36
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Leo and Don are super in the "no friends town" as well. Don's been cut off from Harold and Leo...
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #37
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Leo and Don are super in the "no friends town" as well. Don's been cut off from Harold and Leo...
at least we got to spend plenty of time with Don when he was hanging around Harold.
and now that Harold is out of the picture we can really feel the void on Don missing him.
plus Don has seemed to bond with Fugitoid.

Leonardo has always spent most of his down time training.
in the beginning of the series at least we'd get to see tending his swords, and practicing.
not so much lately though.
last time we go to spend any quality time with Leo in the Dojo i thing was when he was training Foot soldiers with Alopex.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

The less extra characters the better, they introduced a lot of human characters that don't really get much focus get written out after awhile. I completely forgot about Lindsey's girlfriend who works for Null until recently since I flipped through the old Mutanimals mini for example. It's the same reason I'm glad Winter and Knight were written out recently, it's too many extra characters.

There's also now Harold's wife, Lindsey is still around, Jennika, Woody, April's parents, in addition to Harold, Angel, etc. Sometimes it gets too cluttered.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #39
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I would love to see IDW's use of the organic exosuit motif from Vol. 4. The second mutation for Raphael also has a lot of merit.

The IDW series acknowledges that the Mirage universe exists in B & R Destroy Everything. There will probably be a crossover story at some point with black and white turtles with red bandanas.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #40
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I imagine organic exosuits would be a necessity on Burnow, since they don't really have a lot of resources and are cut off from the world, and their population is probably going to explode in the next few years for them.