The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender Netflix TV series

Quote:
Hot on the heels of Netflix’s The Dragon Prince, from Avatar: The Last Airbender head writer Aaron Ehasz, the studio has just stealthily announced that Avatar is coming back in an all-new series.

Along with the first piece of concept art from the upcoming reboot, Netflix announced that The Last Airbender’s co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are both signed on to oversee the show, something they’ve been planning on for ages.

It’s been a while since we last caught up with Aang and the Avatar crew, but from the sounds of it, it won’t be too long before we’re all “yip-yipping” our ways into another unforgettable adventure.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-l...lix-1829139229

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yikes, I don't think this is a series that could work in live-action. Also aren't the characters all supposed to be Asian? Would seem weird if Aang, Soka, Katara, Zuko, etc. aren't all played by Asian kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also aren't the characters all supposed to be Asian? Would seem weird if Aang, Soka, Katara, Zuko, etc. aren't all played by Asian kids.
Katara and Sokka are clearly dark skinned.

Also the creators already confirmed the cast won't be white washed like they were in the movie:

Quote:
“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender,” DiMartino and Konietzko said in a release announcing the project. “We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”
https://deadline.com/2018/09/avatar-...ix-1202467089/

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well it's similar to real life how some southeast Asians have darker skin. I do think they should all be Asian though, nothing else would fit. The whole design of the world, everything they wear like their clothing, and the villains were all obviously Asian inspired.

On the other hand Katara could be cast as a young black actress, I wonder if the backlash would be just as bad as Starfire in the live-action Titans, Buffy, April in Rise, etc. if it happens.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Amazing, this is a series that would totally work in live action, i hope they have the budget though. And yes after the movie I doubt they'll change the race of the characters too much. Marco Polo had a near 100% asian cast and that was from Netflix as well, too bad it was boring since everything else was top notch.
Quote:
Well it's similar to real life how some southeast Asians have darker skin. I do think they should all be Asian though, nothing else would fit. The whole design of the world, everything they wear like their clothing, and the villains were all obviously Asian inspired.

On the other hand Katara could be cast as a young black actress, I wonder if the backlash would be just as bad as Starfire in the live-action Titans, Buffy, April in Rise, etc. if it happens.
No one likes race changing but I think there's some wiggle room since while inspired from asian cultures it's a different world, as long as they're brown they can be from the water tribe for example, I think the air/water/fire tribes could have some white people in it. But yeah at least the main characters being asian it'll work.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Can’t see this working especially with action scenes. You would have to get someone that knows what they are doing. Mind I suggest Koichi Sakamoto
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Uhm... Why this rather than a third show?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Uhm... Why this rather than a third show?
Nickelodeon probably doesn't want a third cartoon, I remember the last season of Korra was streamed online rather than aired on TV at first because they just stopped caring about it.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

That sucks. Part of me wondered if the project had been canceled because there was no information about it during the renewed interest that had come from putting the original series back on Netflix. I think it was in the Top 10 for over 2 months. Would?ve been a perfect time for Netflix to be like ?Hey we know you love this so good news everybody - we?ve got this live action series from the original creators on the way?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's only the creators that left the series, but didn't they mess up Legend of Korra? I don't see the creators leaving necessarily as a bad thing if the other people involved understand what made Avatar so fun. As long as it's not as bad as M. Night's live action movie of The Last Airbender everything will be alright and I'm not the most fond of Netflix originals.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its your classic case of creative differences. They were executive producers on it. But they had a director and showrunner for the series that wanted to go one direction. While the creators of the original wanted to go the other.

Its unfortunate because executive producers don't have any say on how the production should go.

By leaving this production they won't get any blame if this series doesn't turn out good. It will be the people who made it not them.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's only the creators that left the series, but didn't they mess up Legend of Korra?
A lot of Korra's problems stemmed from it being mismanaged by Nickelodeon while it was airing, to the point where it drove the crew away from them and towards Netflix for the creation of The Dragon Prince.

This is really disappointing news to me, I have little faith in the project now. It's one thing to never have them involved in the first place, but even worse to start with them onboard and have them leave because they couldn't stand what the production was shaping up to be.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I like this better than the live action series at Netflix:

Quote:
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” fans had their dreams of more content based on the beloved animated series and its sister spinoff squashed last year when the series’ creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko stepped away from a planned live-action adaptation project at Netflix last August.

But today, Nickelodeon announced that the world of “Avatar” and “The Legend of Korra” is finally getting the content expansion that people who grew up watching the programs have been yearning for with the establishment of Avatar Studios. The newly formed content division is designed to create original animated series and movies based on “Avatar”, and the first project under the studio banner is an original animated theatrical film to begin production this year. The output will debut on platforms including Paramount Plus, on Nickelodeon’s own linear and digital platforms and on third-party platforms and in theaters.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ava...on-1234914149/
Old 08-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

https://t.co/gaCMYaiBSE?amp=1

The cast seems ok, I think sokka and katara aren't brown enough but oh well can't be worse than the
Old 08-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Anime people are Asians?
Old 08-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Anime people are Asians?
Excuse me?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #18
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Unrelated to the Netflix series but Paramount/Nick announced 3 animated theatrical movies as part of the Avatar Studios deal with the original creators.

No word on what any of the movies will be about yet.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/three-n...st-1235046035/
Old 02-02-2024, 03:04 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apparently the show is removing all the "sexism" that the cartoon had?

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:54 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Apparently one of the characters was learning over the course of the series that women are not less than men and it was removed, because....someone might have been triggered.

Apparently cretins writing this show don't understand what is personal growth and want all protagonists to be super squeaky progressive and all character development will be just about "believe in yourself and the like".

It is absurd: those ****tards doing the same **** to villains: they can kill a planet of sentient creatures, maim and murder kids, but at least they are not transphobes and racists!

Its like propaganda taking to the absurd heights of retardation. Combined with their anti-sex stance and puritanism, those freaks are even worse than soccer moms and hardcore Christians. At least in the former two cases you can understand where they are coming from. In case of modern SJW trash there is no logic - its just mishmash of garbage in their empty heads.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote