The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

1993 Ninja Action Michaelangelo

I just bought two of these in loose lots. How much are these worth? I remember reading about 10 years ago that it was recalled in the early 90's- does anyone have a link to more info?

I used to see these pop up on ebay pretty often, but now I can only find a single listing by searching for it by name. I'd imagine there are still a few sprinkled in larger lots
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I just searched eBay and didn’t see any
I know I bought one a few years ago for cheap but have no idea what the average is
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfields View Post
I just bought two of these in loose lots. How much are these worth? I remember reading about 10 years ago that it was recalled in the early 90's- does anyone have a link to more info?

I used to see these pop up on ebay pretty often, but now I can only find a single listing by searching for it by name. I'd imagine there are still a few sprinkled in larger lots
Iím not sure if Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo was recalled in the mid 90s (Clinton was President when these were out), but it was shortpacked.

The Ninja Action Turtles sub-line came out in the fall of 1993.

I think the Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo might have been dangerous, because after you pressed down on him, Mike drew his nunchakus from the sheaths of the belt. Interestingly enough, Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo was the only double strapped belt Michelangelo in existence. I think the Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo might have been pulled sometime in Ď93 or Ď94 because the 2004 revamped Ninja Action Michelangelo did not have the double straps.

A MOC Black Belt Boxer Mike can run you up to $91 on eBay. I havenít seen any loose anywhere online this year.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Off-topic, butódoes anyone wish there were a double strap belt for Raphael in the original Playmates toy line?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

there used to be a website that had more detailed info on the recall. I had thought it was lead pieces used to balance the action feature. I'll post it if i can find it

This was the only ninja action not rereleased in 1996 too

this might have been it
http://w.tmnttoys.com/04figures/action/ninjaaction.html

Last edited by strawberryfields; 08-25-2019 at 11:10 PM.
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
there used to be a website that had more detailed info on the recall. I had thought it was lead pieces used to balance the action feature. I'll post it if i can find it

this might have been it
Good point.

I never saw the 1997 10th Anniversary Ninja Power TMNT Ninja Action Raph, Don, or Leo in stores. Thatís why I forgot all about those. Stores like Wal-Mart weíre not ordering many Turtles figures in 1997 before The Next Mutation came out. Wal-Mart had a load of TMNT Heroes In A Half Shell re-issues on an endcap from one year before, 1996.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:

this might have been it
I believe there was an article in a newspaper from either 1993 or 1994 about the lead pieces in the belt or nunchakus that helped Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo to be balanced.

Iím really surprised by how the Ninja Action molds have become an integral part of every Turtles toy line from 2003 to now. The Ninja Action Turtles figures did not seem to be moving much in late 1993 or any part of the 90s after that. My cousin, at the time, thought the 1988 Foot Soldier action figures were the best part about the 1993 Ninja Action Turtles commercial.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
DarkAtuin
Mouser

Interestingly enough it also was specifically listed as not available in certain European countries in the Playmates catalogues that shipped with the figures here.

Scan_20181020 (3).jpg

On another note all Ninja Action TMNT figures I have or have seen seem to be US imports rather than direct EU releases from companies like Bandai or Ideal like all other 90's Turtles figures were.
DarkAtuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAtuin View Post
Interestingly enough it also was specifically listed as not available in certain European countries in the Playmates catalogues that shipped with the figures here.

Attachment 12413

On another note all Ninja Action TMNT figures I have or have seen seem to be US imports rather than direct EU releases from companies like Bandai or Ideal like all other 90's Turtles figures were.
Well, TMNT had to be changed to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles for a UK release because of things like nunchucks being used. There was a lot of TMNT roleplaying everywhere among children in the early 90s. Children in my area used to play with sticks. A young man even used to break a branch to make nunchakus.

I believe Black Belt Boxer Michelangelo was banned in the US first and that is the specific reason why the whole Ninja Action wave was released in those European countries.