The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

A TMNT philosophy/theory of life span

Keep in mind, this theory basically only works with the original Henson movie and the IDW comic universe. The turtles each have their highly distinctive qualities and don't usually stray too far from them. I've often thought "who is actually that angry?" or "who is actually that responsible?". I began to wonder if the turtles are actually an individual rather than 4 brothers (I understand this is a bit of a reach so bear with me). One way to look at it is to picture each character as a different stage of life.

1st stage-Michelangelo as the young child: He is the kid in all of us. Carefree, compassionate and not the most mature or responsible.

2nd stage-Raphael as the teenager: Highly emotional, makes questionable risky decisions. Doesn't know how to convey complex emotions and resorts to violence. Think teenage angst.

3rd stage-Donatello as the young adult: Focused on studies, understands the importance of learning. Generally level-headed.

4th stage-Leonardo as adult: More introspective and mature. Assumes a majority of the responsibilities.

You could also factor in Splinter and Shredder as well.

5th stage-Splinter as older adult: Father figure and experienced. Confident and patient.

6th stage-Shredder as oldest: Angry but self-aware. Bitter and jaded. Think of the quote "you either die a hero or live to see yourself become the villain".

I couldn't help but see these stages play out in the movie and the IDW series. The reincarnation story in the comics really helped solidify the idea.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I can't think of too much to say in response, but that is a pretty cool observation!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
TmntDann
Random Punk

Shredder should be the 5th stage. The midlife crisis.
TmntDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
dragonside
Hench Mutant

i really liked this observation as well.

I think TMNT reflects a lot of the different aspects of life.

For example: being an immigrant moving to a new City, having a family that wants to explore the world.

I felt that TMNT was an analogy of being Canadian born Asian, so it was easy to connect. (not only for asians but for any second gen folks).

Splinter being the parent - having difficulty adjusting to the life in America, trying to teach his children everything he knows and protecting them, not wanting them to go out and take risks.

The Turtles themselves

Donatello - the nerd - being an asian nerd, the smart one, solving all the problems.

Leonardo - the pressure to lead, to get good marks, to be the best student

Raphael - the frustration and anger of growing up, being lonely

Michelangelo - the want to have fun, be accepted

I'm sure they didn't intend to create something as deep as that, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Interesting, I'll admit.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Relatable characters and situations definitely help readers and viewers make a connection to the material. I have related to all of them in my life for sure. Mostly Donnie. Lately though I have found myself relating more with Splinter. I hope not to ever be in the Shredder stage.

I wonder if there's room for another stage that binds/connects the four brothers. Such as a Hero stage maybe? Perhaps to prove one's worth through bravery and become expert in a way that helps the world. I don't know. Not sure how it would work in, just a quick thought.

Good thread
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #7
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Wow, that's a really cool idea.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #8
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I wonder if there's room for another stage that binds/connects the four brothers. Such as a Hero stage maybe? Perhaps to prove one's worth through bravery and become expert in a way that helps the world. I don't know. Not sure how it would work in, just a quick thought.

Good thread
I know what you're saying...I was thinking of something similar but in the context of each "stage" retains a piece of each previous stage. Similar to a natural aging process. For example, Michelangelo would be influenced by superheroes and that desire to be the hero would pass down the stages. Until Shredder of course. Oftentimes to become evil it seems there are multiple unfortunate events and will usually develop over time.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toitlefan View Post
I know what you're saying...I was thinking of something similar but in the context of each "stage" retains a piece of each previous stage. Similar to a natural aging process. For example, Michelangelo would be influenced by superheroes and that desire to be the hero would pass down the stages. Until Shredder of course. Oftentimes to become evil it seems there are multiple unfortunate events and will usually develop over time.
Reminds me of a Lex Luthor Smallville line "...in life the road to darkness is a journey, not a light switch." Or something like that anyways.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote