The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

glue recommendations

I thought this thread people would know about glue.

Looking for glue recommendations for plastic part of figure that connects the legs together.

The part that is usually hidden in the groin region. I have read that I need something that doesn't expand, ruin paint, or melt plastic.

I went to pose a figure and the ball joint part that sits in the legs must have been frozen stiff and the center connection just snapped. Surprised the you know what out of me. Almost made a grow man cry. I barely put any force on the thing.

I attached a picture. I am incredibly bummed out about this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4554.jpg (80.8 KB, 30 views)
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Just found out about this krazy glue pen, think I might give it a shot.

http://www.krazyglue.com/product/det...n#.WE0RErU76aM
Old 12-11-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

That's my brand of choice. Never used the pen, but the glue itself is really really good. You should do pretty well with it, I think.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
Mzx10484
WEM Super Starfinder 200

Same thing happened with my soft head Raph (noticed that all my soft heads are vulnerable in this regard). I don't have a certain brand of glue, since every superglue I used has done its job unobjectionable, but I prefer to use glues with different solidity, super glue gel that is not dripping and super glue that is very fluid and flows in the very smallest gap. Depending on the case.
Mzx10484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
gunstarheroblue
Foot Soldier

Id almost melt the plastic pieces together or find a Glue that is strong and has a bit of "play"but doesnt make the bond Brittle.
what about that bondic stuff i see them advertise all over?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
Mzx10484
WEM Super Starfinder 200

^^ Never had the idea to look for a plastic welder. Would try it pure out of interest ... for some cases I used a hairdryer to heat up the plastic, so it was possible to bend back the outer parts of the body halves (effects of leverage) from Laser Light Skeletor, for example.
Mzx10484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

It's a super small area to work within so I'm uncertain about the welder. Looks like from YouTube that it needs to have a LED light and I'm not sure I would get it at correct angle for my project. But super cool for future things.

I think what I will do is put some glue on the right leg and put the leg up in place and then apply glue to the left leg and stick that up in place and hold them together around that cent round part until dry. I don't want to open the figure.

I have attached a second photo so you can see more of what I'm working with. I'm going to try to get the legs in a pose so it will stand and then never mess with it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4573.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I don't know if this will help or not. I have a few She-Ra knock off (Golden Girls) that broke in this area. Common problem for them. I took out the broken bits. Put a eyelet screw in each leg and connect with very small O ring. This will devalue the figure, and make the legs kinda floppy. Plus side is they didn't break again.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I don't know if this will help or not. I have a few She-Ra knock off (Golden Girls) that broke in this area. Common problem for them. I took out the broken bits. Put a eyelet screw in each leg and connect with very small O ring. This will devalue the figure, and make the legs kinda floppy. Plus side is they didn't break again.
Thanks for the info dude. I forgot to update that I ended up using the krazy glue pen. It was difficult to get enough out of the pen and on the small surface area of the break.

It would not hold. So I just applied lots of glue to the upper leg as well as the broken portion and stuffed the legs up in the hole. It holds now. Lol.

I have him displayed in the turtlemobile because the figure tips over and legs are not poseable. Future value does not matter because I am keeping it forever and just wanted a decent display piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5296.jpg (93.2 KB, 11 views)