The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

A theory of how human-to-animal mutation works and why removing the mutagen is a cure

We don't have much information about how exactly humans turn into a animals with mutagen beyond "animal DNA added". But we are given some clues to the mechanics of it.

1. The mutation relies on the mutagen being in the system.
Spoiler:

2. In fact, removing the mutagen straight up undoes the mutation.
Spoiler:

3. Null and other deliberate experiments still seem to prioritise animals and growing from scratch instead of the appearent advantages of mutating humans.
Spoiler:

4. The Mutagen Man, an attempt to make a hybrid from scratch, is inherently unstable.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

To recap:
  1. The mutagen has an active role after the mutation.
  2. It can be undone.
  3. Making hybrids seems to be a lower priority.
  4. The attempt to make a hybrid from the ground up is a total failure that needs life support.

My conclusion? No real genetic changes have happened to the DNA of Bebop, Rocksteady, Jennika, Dreadmon, the residents of Mutant town or anyone else who used to be human. I don't think they're actually mutants in the strict sense of the word, that is to say the DNA that makes the cells haven't changed, rather they're cellular chimeras.

What that would mean is that their normal human cells are still there, using the DNA as they always have to replicate. Remember, at it's core the Ooze is just a cellular regeneration formula. Takeshi Tatsuo just used it to restore his foot and youth. Hun just used it to pump up. And Shredder just used it to remain in stasis, as did the utroms.
Spoiler:

But it can also be a fleeting effect, if it runs out the effects will be negated. This is fairly consistent with how Null's thugs could simply just remove the mutagen and revert back to their human forms.

So, here's the thing, what does the animal DNA actually do then? What I'm thinking is the mutagen doesn't know what to do with it, so it creates a bunch of animal cells and inserts them into the host organism's cellular matrix, essentially the new cells are parasitic. But these cells are not able to replicate on their own since they're not really part of the host organism's metabolism, they might not even have their own mitochondria as they just came from DNA, thus they require the ooze to continue existing. Thus, if the ooze is removed, they lose their only source of nutrition and just die off.

Anybody thinking I might be onto something?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

Good work putting this together. Your use of the word "parasitic" makes me thing of Krang's current situation. Maybe he will somehow figure into coming up with a cure for mutants?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Good work putting this together. Your use of the word "parasitic" makes me thing of Krang's current situation. Maybe he will somehow figure into coming up with a cure for mutants?
Oh yeah, the ooze is from Utrominon. It might actually have something to do with their biology.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:04 AM   #4
DragonSoul
Random Punk

Removing the mutagen has been the cure since Mirage, it isn't a mystery. In TMNT Issue 24 and 25, Raphael is reduced to a normal turtle because a leech sucked out the mutagen. Simply removing the mutagen from the host's system is enough to cure the host from the mutagen's effects.

In regard to mutating animals it is preferable because it can be argued that animals are not considered humans thus do not attract the attention of family, community members, law enforcement, government, and military when they go missing. Another reason why animals are preferred is because if the ooze is a weapon then the goal of it is to make a Bio Organic Weapon and not a successor. A human thinker, a free thinker is detrimental to the overall goal if the goal is to make a weapon that follows orders and never conspires to usurp the throne. As for the instability of hybrids it is quite interesting that the story does not acknowledge that the anthropomorphic animals are indeed hybrids as they possess human anatomy with animal features. In a sense it implies a human-centric belief that human anatomy is the epitome of evolution which it is not-- perhaps if anything this is a sign of intended manipulation for an unknown goal.

Anyways, the goal and the effects of the secret ooze is never fully explored so I do like the exploration of it in IDW TMNT.
DragonSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Anyways, the goal and the effects of the secret ooze is never fully explored so I do like the exploration of it in IDW TMNT.
Wasn't it explained as utrom's "production scrap" in Mirage? A worthless by-product of their experiments/technology.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
DragonSoul
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Wasn't it explained as utrom's "production scrap" in Mirage? A worthless by-product of their experiments/technology.
It was. I feel like that creative decision was done to just not explore that area in favor of other ideas. Laird was not interested in a world full of mutants, he preferred the turtles being the miracle of chance and the only "other" in the world (besides some paranormal stuff of course). I think the exploration of the ooze is good storytelling material which is why I am glad somewhat that it is being explored by IDW TMNT.
DragonSoul is offline   Reply With Quote