The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #41
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman37 View Post
That's pretty obviously not the fan print... and its signed by Laird... are you high?

You are a miserable ****.
Oooh. Want to come tell me that to my face? What this guy has done is 100% illegal.

Also, get it right, I'm an asshole. Moron.
Mr Maczaps Comics on Facebook
Shellback on Facebook
Turtle Power Entertainment

Email me at: mrmaczapscomics@gmail.com

Looking for: SNES TMNT and any other video games. Also Movie Star Mikey giant nunchucks! Two! CHEAP!

Buy from MyComicShop.com
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #42
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My personal opinion: this isn't something I would advocate, or be a part of. It's not quite the same thing as DemonAlukard printing the "lost" TMNT #8 replacement that only ever officially saw print in, like, one Latin country but never in the US (plus he printed them out of Russia, so... I don't know that a letter from Nickelodeon is going to do much of anything there). It's a fan reprinting the actual work of Peter Laird and Jim Lawson, without their permission or consent of an issue that saw official release here in the US, direct from Mirage under license/agreement from Nickelodeon. This is true.

I'm really torn on the matter. It seems like a niche supply and demand kind of thing. Will Peter start up the cogs at Mirage and print more of #29? The odds are probably the same as seeing a new issue of Volume 4 at this point... highly unlikely. Now, does that make it right for someone to just start printing up reprints on their own and selling them willy nilly? There could be an argument for just doing so "at cost" (i.e., no profit), but no. But is it the kind of thing that needs to be vigorously swatted down? I'm not sure. I mean, if Peter and Jim felt strongly, then absolutely. I just don't think the OP set out to do this with dollar signs in his mind. I know I didn't with the Image finisher or Odyssey (although those are entirely different beasts). Maybe negative dollar signs.

I guess this is the kind of thing I'd have just run by the parties involved first, even casually. If it's just shrugs from Peter and Jim on it, and no profit earned, then I don't see the harm. Though I do worry about the precedent it sets.
It does set a very disturbing precedent. Someone here asked for a fan print to be done of issue 30...

The drome boards always seem to shut down links for illegal downloads of the csrtoons and/or movies (or used to, it seems to be open season here these days)... so why not an illegal copy of comics?

If fans are willing to buy illegal copies of issues they cannot afford for cheap, I would think that would just drive up the cost of real copies as more people realize that these last four issues are more rare than v1 #1...

Either way, advocating for illegal copies of comics should not be allowed for sale or advrtised at all on the boards.

And for the record, I own copies of your stuff as it is different in that its not copies of stuff that came before, its new material based off of copyrighted characters.

Jim Lawson said he has no say, only Peter/Mirage does and I didn't get the impression that he would forward the info to Pete either.
Shellback on Facebook

Looking for: SNES TMNT and any other video games. Also Movie Star Mikey giant nunchucks! Two! CHEAP!

Buy from MyComicShop.com
Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #43
Peter Palmer
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My personal opinion: this isn't something I would advocate, or be a part of. It's not quite the same thing as DemonAlukard printing the "lost" TMNT #8 replacement that only ever officially saw print in, like, one Latin country but never in the US (plus he printed them out of Russia, so... I don't know that a letter from Nickelodeon is going to do much of anything there). It's a fan reprinting the actual work of Peter Laird and Jim Lawson, without their permission or consent of an issue that saw official release here in the US, direct from Mirage under license/agreement from Nickelodeon. This is true.

I'm really torn on the matter. It seems like a niche supply and demand kind of thing. Will Peter start up the cogs at Mirage and print more of #29? The odds are probably the same as seeing a new issue of Volume 4 at this point... highly unlikely. Now, does that make it right for someone to just start printing up reprints on their own and selling them willy nilly? There could be an argument for just doing so "at cost" (i.e., no profit), but no. But is it the kind of thing that needs to be vigorously swatted down? I'm not sure. I mean, if Peter and Jim felt strongly, then absolutely. I just don't think the OP set out to do this with dollar signs in his mind. I know I didn't with the Image finisher or Odyssey (although those are entirely different beasts). Maybe negative dollar signs.

I guess this is the kind of thing I'd have just run by the parties involved first, even casually. If it's just shrugs from Peter and Jim on it, and no profit earned, then I don't see the harm. Though I do worry about the precedent it sets.
A very sensible post.

I think the only part I'd really argue is that whether a person does this with the aim of making millions of dollars or does it as a charitable endeavor where money will ultimately be lost is completely irrelevant. Doing this is illegal regardless of the money you stand to make (or lose).

And I've bolded the portion that really should have been the OP's first move. Mention this to the parties involved and see what they say. Maybe you'll get permission...who knows?

I know the OP didn't start this project with any malicious intent, but I hope that these posts help him come to his senses and realize that he's working well outside of any "zone of tolerance" he believes exists and shuts this down (i.e. don't distribute any copies and destroy the ones on-hand) before he calls too much attention to himself. I believe that he believed this was a legal project when he started it, but I hope he sees now that it is, in fact, illegal.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #44
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
A very sensible post.

I think the only part I'd really argue is that whether a person does this with the aim of making millions of dollars or does it as a charitable endeavor where money will ultimately be lost is completely irrelevant. Doing this is illegal regardless of the money you stand to make (or lose).

And I've bolded the portion that really should have been the OP's first move. Mention this to the parties involved and see what they say. Maybe you'll get permission...who knows?

I know the OP didn't start this project with any malicious intent, but I hope that these posts help him come to his senses and realize that he's working well outside of any "zone of tolerance" he believes exists and shuts this down (i.e. don't distribute any copies and destroy the ones on-hand) before he calls too much attention to himself. I believe that he believed this was a legal project when he started it, but I hope he sees now that it is, in fact, illegal.
Pretty sure he knows and we are beating a dead horse at this point.

If he was telling a new tale and paid the creators involved in making that tale come to life on the page like Andrew does, there is a tolerance there because not much attention is drawn and its literally donations we as fans pay to help him pay for the artwork and production... a fan print as this endeavor was called is litterally copying a copyrighted book, sticking fan print on the cover and another fans commission reprinted in the back with nothing new or different in it and then charging folks about $10 to sell them copies that were made..

Could be detrimental to making more of Andrews type of books... Origin and a conclusion to volume four...
Shellback on Facebook

Buy from MyComicShop.com