The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #21
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Hey Y'all. Good to be back. I glad to see some love for Rise Splinter. He was actually one of my favorite things in Rise.

I love 2012 Splinter but I love conceptual ideas that they throw at Rise Splinter so much more because while 2012 Splinter felt like a person who was at the wrong place, at the wrong time and couldn't change his fate no matter how hard he tried, because Shredder was pretty much dead set on destroying his life from day 1, the Rise Splinter on the other hand feels more like a tragic greek hero because he could been great. He could have made a difference in protecting the world from Shredder but instead he had purposely choose to ignore his destiny by becoming a movie star in America. He turn his back on his family. He pretty much cut ties with his grandfather. His only living relative at the time.

And what did got him in the end? Being essentially a warrior slave and then a hideous rat man. Even though it what had cause his downfall, his film career was the only thing he had in this whole world until he realized he had actually gain something back. A new family. His sons.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-08-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #22
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
And what did got him in the end?.
A cancelled show
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Though I didn't care for the design, the backstory, or his laziness either... I think Splinter's personalty was my biggest issue with this version. Some of his behaviors reflect real life behaviors of emotionally abusive, neglectful or otherwise dismissive parents and it's kind of always gross to me to see that kind of thing played as comedy or normalized by never being addressed. (Same thing when PD Splinter showed hints of being physically abusive.) If it's an issue that's addressed and a character improves on, fine, but if not... ew, just don't. Esp when you inevitably have some kids watching (if they could find it on tv!) who deal with that in real life; don't normalize those issues by just using it as "entertainment" and nothing more.

I had hoped it was something that Splinter was going to improve on, and to some small extent he did improve as a character, but even in the end, in that last second of the series...oh, haha... he still had to jump in there and call Leo by his signature color, not his name, so I guess nothing had changed after all. I mean, if you're going to tell Leo that you're making him leader, a role that should come with some expectation of maturity, at least inform him/them in a way that is respectful to both he and Raph.

So there's my main complaint on Splinter, some can feel free to hate it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Though I didn't care for the design, the backstory, or his laziness either... I think Splinter's personalty was my biggest issue with this version. Some of his behaviors reflect real life behaviors of emotionally abusive, neglectful or otherwise dismissive parents and it's kind of always gross to me to see that kind of thing played as comedy or normalized by never being addressed. (Same thing when PD Splinter showed hints of being physically abusive.) If it's an issue that's addressed and a character improves on, fine, but if not... ew, just don't. Esp when you inevitably have some kids watching (if they could find it on tv!) who deal with that in real life; don't normalize those issues by just using it as "entertainment" and nothing more.

I had hoped it was something that Splinter was going to improve on, and to some small extent he did improve as a character, but even in the end, in that last second of the series...oh, haha... he still had to jump in there and call Leo by his signature color, not his name, so I guess nothing had changed after all. I mean, if you're going to tell Leo that you're making him leader, a role that should come with some expectation of maturity, at least inform him/them in a way that is respectful to both he and Raph.

So there's my main complaint on Splinter, some can feel free to hate it.
I feel that those are very valid criticisms of some very poor creative choices.

"HAH! He doesn't even know (or pretends not to know) his own kids' names!" That's... funny?

Look, I love Family Guy. I'm a huge fan of "Shut up, Meg." BUT. Everybody on Family Guy is transparently an awful person and that's the entire joke. I think that sort of humor vis-a-vis TMNT is too mean-spirited and sends very bad implications, "played for a gag" or not.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote