The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Nintendo did make some remakes of the G&W games for Gameboy, which somewhat amusingly renders their original form somewhat obsolete.

Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Can't wait to see all the approaching 40 manchildren suddenly saying how incredible these are to justify buying them at premiums in a vain attempt to fill some void in their heart.

"It's for my son!" Yeah, & not only will he hate it as much as you did, but he'll hate you too.

Really tired of the shameless nostalgia pandering of late. It's one thing to reissue a beloved action figure, but stuff like this I can only roll my eyes at.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #23
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'd love a modern Game & Watch collection of all the handhelds in one, Nintendo released like 7 different collections with remakes on the game boy/DS and the DSi had a virtual console for Game & Watch but we only got a few games out of it. I'd love to see them all preserved
I actually think remaking the actual physical Game & Watches would be cool. They have air of sophistication about them with their design and many people would be them as collectors pieces.

Quote:
ah, cool, worth searching episodes from this show?
It's a show were British celebrities compete against each other playing video games. Though the title is a bit misleading as they are not always exclusively 8 Bit or necessarily retro. Honestly watching other people play video games isn't as fun playing them yourself but since most of the celebs they get are in the comedy field there's some mileage to be had. It can be a bit surprising which celebs are gamers.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Can't wait to see all the approaching 40 manchildren suddenly saying how incredible these are to justify buying them at premiums in a vain attempt to fill some void in their heart.

"It's for my son!" Yeah, & not only will he hate it as much as you did, but he'll hate you too.

Really tired of the shameless nostalgia pandering of late. It's one thing to reissue a beloved action figure, but stuff like this I can only roll my eyes at.
Maybe this will finally be the thing that reveals that even 40-ish manchildren have nostalgia limits.

I will confess I was always curious about the Power Rangers LCD game that had a bardcode scanner for cards. This ad really stood out for some reason:

From what I heard, it really didn't add much at all.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #25
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Kids these days have their own Tiger Electronics, they just go by the name of freemium app games.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #26
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I had Sonic 3 as a kid lol. Even the Batman game wristwatch lol.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

I'm a huge advocate of the free-market economy, but some things I'm not convinced were all that big a hit in the first place.

I mean if you played even ONE of these, the secret was out on how crummy they were. How successful could they have really been? I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:57 AM   #28
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok Im gonna defend these and I do not have kids either. Not that I plan on rebuying any.

I have all the Sonic ones except the Underground cartoon one. I even have 2 versions of the 3D Blast edition. The traditional one labeled with art and a black flip-phone style one thats just simply titled pocket arcade/Sonic 3D Blast.

I also have the Mortal Kombat one, Konami TMNT one (posted on the previous page, shaped like a green rocket), Power Rangers one that came with a built-in light, Jurassic Park one and Frogger one. I think they all still work but theyre put away right now.

No I never played them over the console versions but here is why Im defending them. Im sure Tiger (and others who made some) did not actually intend for them to be real alternatives. I think they were just meant to be fun little novelties you could play now and then. Like if you took them on a trip or as a time waster. Thats how I played them.

They are clearly not comparable to console or Gameboy games of the time. Ive seen the AVGN video. To suggest Tiger or other companies were trying to pass them off as real alternatives is just silly. Its extremely obvious they are not. They could not possibly believe consumers were that dumb.

As for POGs I collected them for awhile. I still have some somewhere. Not that much though.

Edit: I forgot they made a Sonic Spinball edition. I do NOT have that one.

Last edited by Wildcat; 08-18-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #29
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hey, it just occurred to me that this Tiger Vault thing is the first official re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 since 2011 (as Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam) and 2009 (stand alone on Xbox Arcade)!

Sega is really skittish about releasing that game in its original form, which probably has to do with the music rights and Michael Jackson. I don't know why that keeps them from just dumping an edited version though... they already had alternative (though inferior) music tracks composed for the game's first PC release in 1997.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

"Time waster" completely bangs the nail, though. As in "just about anything else would be more fun/productive".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #31
Galactus
Foot Elite

I don't know what the general opinion on Scott the Woz is but I feel he did a pretty good run down on the history and appeal of Game & Watch.

Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:47 PM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Cannot believe I forgot this. The strap broke but obviously kept the actual game. Not sure if it works.

So I looked up the flip-phone style one. Turns out theres 4 variations. Sonic 3, 3D Blast (the one I have), Amazing Sonic and one just called Sonic Blast. All play differently. I should clarify. I found this at a yard sale many years later. I already had the traditional style one but thought it was kinda cool. I think it was only a $1. Wish I had Amazing and Blast now. (Theres others, Im just showing the Sonic ones)

Now heres something Im shocked I never knew about. A Sonic Adventure lcd game. This is amazing for what it is. Its running actual pixel graphics instead of the preset watch sprites. Theres a couple videos on YouTube but this a quick overview. (The music is NOT part of the game. The guy added it into the video but its a bit hard to hear him)

Gotta be honest. If Tiger really brought them back with a new line based on current games I would totally buy them. Just add recharging and a light up screen. Imagine a Sonic Mania or Generations edition.

Might seem stupid to some but I find them oddly appealing. Again not as true alternatives but having a little a game of sorts each in their own themed handheld controller is pretty cool imo.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #33
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hah, I kinda want that Sonic Adventure LCD setup now! I remember the "Pocket Arcades," but don't remember that!

View my sketch work!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #34
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I saw these tiger LCD re-issues at the store yesterday & I got a rush of nostalgia as I felt like a little kid again. I made fun of these when they were announced but I see what they were going for.

I never even owned any of these LCD systems, I thought they sucked back then too but that didn't stop me from grabbing them at the store and staring at the artwork and imagining how they would play because they still had my favorite characters on the covers.

Of course I wouldn't buy one but I can see how a little kid would think they are appealing, they are used to anything that has a screen being relatively "smart" and could be suckered into thinking it does more stuff or an adult who can't control impulse nostalgia buying.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote