The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Walking Dead Concludes This Week In Surprise Stealth Finale Issue

The comic book is coming to an end. Bleeding Cool reported this coming Wednesday's issue will be a surprise finale and people who already have copies verified this in the article's comments section.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...-193-spoilers/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The comic book is coming to an end. Bleeding Cool reported this coming Wednesday's issue will be a surprise finale and people who already have copies verified this in the article's comments section.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...-193-spoilers/
I don't know... why would they list #194 and #195, then? I get the "to make a feint" but retailers really are ordering comics off of that... so...?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't know... why would they list #194 and #195, then? I get the "to make a feint" but retailers really are ordering comics off of that... so...?
I expect retailers will be offered something else from the line in place of the phantom issues
Old 07-02-2019, 01:45 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

OK. And I've read more stuff... seems legit. But mostly this makes Kirkman seem like a dick. He's f***ing over the dying comic shops over a stunt that didn't even work. 5 issues ago it would have been way more powerful to be like, "5 issues left!" Then the world would have been captivated by what was in those last 5 issues. Now we're wondering idly about the 1... while comic stores have to figure out what else they want to order that they wouldn't otherwise that they know won't sell on their racks.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Huh, guess I picked a good time to plow through all of it then. I've noticed that the Stockholm public libraries had pretty much all the trades and thought "Why not?". I had not watched the TV show before, mostly because I knew it was probably mostly filler, so I figured the comic was most likely the superior version. Now I just have to wait one day and I'll finish the whole thing!

Anyway, having read all issues recently, I have to ask if anyone actually cares when the characters die? To me the main draw of this series is to see the slow build up of a functioning life and shifting strategies, but the characters dying doesn't work for me. They die extremely rapidly and most of them have incomplete arcs before they die, so I don't really feel like it's actually worth caring about them.

I think the only deaths that had an impact on me were Glenn, Rick and maybe Dale.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think a big component of this end is Kirkman being somewhat aware of the dwindling ratings of the TV shows. i.e., if he ends the comic NOW, there's a fair chance the show will get to adapt it, vs. if he continues it indefinitely.

A long time ago Kirkman promised the end of Walking Dead would feature something no zombie stuff ever did... an actual ending. So we'll see the dead stop rising, I guess. Somehow.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A long time ago Kirkman promised the end of Walking Dead would feature something no zombie stuff ever did... an actual ending. So we'll see the dead stop rising, I guess. Somehow.
From what people have said

Spoiler:
he fails to live up to that promise. He said this was Rick's story and with him dead, life will just go on, but we'll stop following the world.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Read it.

Spoiler:
It was OK. It jumps ahead some number of years, adult Carl kills a walker belonging to Glenn's kid and goes on trial for destroying someone's property... twice. And gets off. No trace of Negan, unless I blinked and missed it.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Well damn.

Weird ending. Kinda liked it, kinda didn't. Mostly just sad to see it end. Some readers complained, but I never, ever got tired of it or thought it got dull/repetitive/predictable.

Tags
the walking sjws, the whining cucks