The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one do you like better?
80s Raphael 17 70.83%
2k12 Donatello 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

80s Raphael vs 2k12 Donatello

Which Rob Paulsen turtle do you like better?

Source of image artist: https://kingoji.deviantart.com/

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-10-2018 at 12:25 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Garfield
Hench Mutant

80's Raphael... Not even a contest. The one liners, snappy comments, quirky jokes and gags. Love his brand of humor.

EDIT:

its not even that I hate 2012 Don or anything... very different character. you're going to really like one or the other.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

80's Raphael. Nick's Donnie was good, but they should have toned down his crush on April as the show progressed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Hm, this is difficult.

On one hand, I can barely call FW Raph, it's an almost an in-name-only version of the character. And given the use of adlibbing, I kind of want to blame Paulsen for making Raph noting but a generator of lame jokes. Also the voice itself just doesn't fit Raph outside of the FW cartoon, so it feels wrong just hearing it in any context, even if it's an in-name-only version.

On the other hand, Nick Don comes across as a perverted stalker. I know that wasn't the intention, but since it kept going for five years and never went anywhere, it just seems like it. If what they say is true, I kinda want to blame Paulsen here as well. But, as childish as the interpretation is, it still comes across as Donnie in writing and performance, even if I feel like I'm watching the teenage years of Harvey Weinstein.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hm, this is difficult.

On one hand, I can barely call FW Raph, it's an almost an in-name-only version of the character. And given the use of adlibbing, I kind of want to blame Paulsen for making Raph noting but a generator of lame jokes. Also the voice itself just doesn't fit Raph outside of the FW cartoon, so it feels wrong just hearing it in any context, even if it's an in-name-only version.

On the other hand, Nick Don comes across as a perverted stalker. I know that wasn't the intention, but since it kept going for five years and never went anywhere, it just seems like it. If what they say is true, I kinda want to blame Paulsen here as well. But, as childish as the interpretation is, it still comes across as Donnie in writing and performance, even if I feel like I'm watching the teenage years of Harvey Weinstein.
So I'm guessing your pick is Nick Don overall despite not being a fan of either?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
ABrown
Banned

Anyone who votes for Nick's Donatello deserves to have a hole kicked in THEIR teeth.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Are you asking specifically which turtle we think Paulsen fits more or which one do we like more as a character because despite being voiced by the same guy, they are two entirely different turtles.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Are you asking specifically which turtle we think Paulsen fits more or which one do we like more as a character because despite being voiced by the same guy, they are two entirely different turtles.
A bit of both.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I’m going to go with 2012 Donnie.

Raph was the wise cracking guy in the 1987 show, but he was also the one who broke the 4th wall. It’s his character to point out the flaws in the show.

2012 Donnie was more sassy then previous televised versions of himself.

OT Donatello normally kept to himself, but would be rude and arrogant to his companions at times when it came to his intelect. And on a couple of occasions would question whether they should have been mutated. But at the heart of it those who matter to him do mean everything.

2k3 Donnie was also quiet,reserved, and compassionate. He doesn’t feel the need to point out he’s the smartest turtle in the group. But rather treats his intelegence as something that is his good fortune, but it doesn’t make him better then anyone else. He knows he isn’t the strongest fighter or the fastest, but he knows his brothers would have his back every time and he will give his all to protect everyone he sees as family or friends.

2012 Donnie In many ways was a combination of his two older brothers. Like Leo he could be calm and reserved and strive to see a mission to the end. But like Raph he would passionately defend his family and the innocent no matter the cost. But will at times make justified comments at inopertune times. And like both of them he would explode into fits of anger at times, or scream out in frustration when the situation demands to much from him. He isn’t the particularly narcissistic or arrogant about his intelect, and the times he is it’s more like a small cry for acknowledgement or appreciation.

Unlike previous versions, Donnie doesn’t have much faith in the weapon that has chosen him, and because of that there are times his weapon doesn’t respond to him and of course the running gag with his bo breaking in battle. Much of the early fights of the series he would approached a battle the same way one would approach a game of chess, in that he would try and calculate any move his oponant would offer and how he would need to respond. This unfortunately would slow him down in battle and make him an easy target to over power. On the flip side, his brothers do find they suffer more in battle without Donnie present with their group, particularly when the threat they are facing is technical or scientific in nature.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

80s Raphael can be really hilarious and does make me laugh with his sarcastic remarks. Even if his jokes don't always land on me, he is a pretty entertaining character. But he's definitely not my favorite version of Raph.

2K12 Donnie was a mixed bag for me in the first two seasons. His crush was a bit too much but beside that, I did like that he wasn't afraid to tell his brothers and others too back off or speak his mind when someone irritates him. I also didn't like how they made Don the weakest fighter. But Season 3 and onward, he did become a much better character.

In terms of who I think Paulsen fits more, I'd say Donnie. Paulsen is pretty much him at this point. In terms of who I like more as a character, I have to think about it. I'll have an answer though.

What about you, though?

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 01-10-2018 at 02:00 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I like Nick Donatello alot, but I'm gonna go choose 80s Raph, every single time.

In terms of voice acting, Paulsen fits Raphael more for me because 80s Raphael is comedic and when I think Paulsen, I think of comedic characters like Pinky, Yakko, Carl, the Mask etc.

When it comes to character, Its a bit harder since they're so different, but in the end I end up picking the characters with less flaws.

80s Raphael may have not been complex, but I don't find anything noticeably wrong with him. He is funny, his interactions with the other characters is superb (I especially like his relationship with Michelangelo)and he is equally as competent as the other turtles despite being lazy and arrogant.

Nick Donatello is great as well with alot of strong points, but there are some things I don't like about him such as the whole Apriltello subplot, him being weaker than his brothers, and I'm sorry about this one, but I'm just not a big fan of the whole nerdy gap tooth design.

Yes, Nick Donatello's design is not bad by any means and serves its purpose well, and I know that FW Raph's design is alot less original by being exactly the same as the other 80s turtles, but in the end, I think that 80s Raphael just has a significantly cooler look.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

FW Raph isn't in name only, he also had a temper although it didn't flare up as much, and made sarcastic or negative comments regularly over what was going on. Nick's Raph feels like a perfect blend of FW Raph and all the other Raphael's, that alone with Sean Astin's voice for him made him one of my favorites.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
So I'm guessing your pick is Nick Don overall despite not being a fan of either?
I guess? Not really sure. From my point of view, it's kinda like an intentionally dull interpretation vs an unintentionally off putting interpretation.

In the case of FW Raph it's like they just ignored what his actual personality was supposed to be, just so they could write a comic strip character like Garfield instead. For what it's worth, while it is sad and somewhat uninspired, that's more of a criticism of the adaptation process than the character. Pretending I know nothing about Mirage studios, it doesn't really annoy me outside of bad jokes.

With Nick Donatello I never really got the feeling they wanted to ignore what the character was, he does still (more or less) still feel like Donatello. However, somewhere along the line they fell in love with their own ideas of what he should be and never gave them up, even if they were kind of creepy in the long run. The intentions are better and it's certainly a more vibrant character, but something is really off and I just end up plain disliking him.

So is this really much of a choice? Do I prefer the somewhat ill conceived but mostly inoffensive attempt, or the well intended but misguided attempt?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I went with Raph. Even though I really like them both, FW Raph wins by virtue if his snarky humor, and his 4th wall breaks. I loved how the show could sometimes poke fun at itself, and he was the biggest vehicle for this. While Nick Donnie is fun and very well-done, I feel Paulson is at his best when playing comedic roles- Yakko, for a perfect example. Raph is pure Paulson gold.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

By far the 80s Raph, no contest. Paulsen was at his best in that version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hm, this is difficult.
It's not difficult. Just say you don't like anything from the FW series even if it's good and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Anyone who votes for Nick's Donatello deserves to have a hole kicked in THEIR teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
FW Raph isn't in name only, he also had a temper although it didn't flare up as much, and made sarcastic or negative comments regularly over what was going on.
Yeah it's just neatoman being over critical of that series again.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
clockstomper
Thug

80s Raph is Paulson doing what he does best. Nick Don is him giving a restrained performance.

It's like when a brilliant comedic actor tries to do a serious drama. It's fine for one movie, just to show what they can do. But it's not what they're best at naturally nor is it what their fans want to see from them.
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I wonder who Rob Paulsen himself prefers.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
80's Raphael... Not even a contest. The one liners, snappy comments, quirky jokes and gags. Love his brand of humor.

EDIT:

its not even that I hate 2012 Don or anything... very different character. you're going to really like one or the other.
This.

Though, I also add that I hear Raphael coming out of Donatello making it two Raphs. I wonder if children have the opposite problem.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Shark_Blade
Emperor

2012 Don. Everytime he shouts or get angry it sounds hysterical. He delivers a lot of emotional lines too.

80s Raph is just a one dimensional one liners smart ass. So flat in terms of character.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #20
billbot85
Mad Scientist

As much as I love 2k12 Donnie, I have to go with FW Raph all the way. Absolutely love his humor and wit, part of why he's my fav turtle.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote