The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 08:40 PM   #4941
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Having had time to watch the whole thing now... I really don't understand how to reconcile Brian's claim that pre-orders are down 75%, they had to cancel the G.I. Joe repaint wave, they lost the license with Disney, but also... things are selling better than they ever have.

I know he can't (without losing access), but Veebs should have pressed him on that dichotomy.
He probably slipped, meaning preorders are down 75% because obviously you can no longer preorder new G.I Joe, Simpsons, Disney and Star Trek waves (those waves probably constituted a decent amount of sales but still never met their overall sales expectations and goals while it's questionable how well stuff like "the Worst" sells).

TMNT, ThunderCats and SilverHawks are probably selling at a healthy level but may have dipped somewhat over the years.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:56 PM   #4942
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
He probably slipped, meaning preorders are down 75% because obviously you can no longer preorder new G.I Joe, Simpsons, Disney and Star Trek waves (those waves probably constituted a decent amount of sales but still never met their overall sales expectations and goals while it's questionable how well stuff like "the Worst" sells).

TMNT, ThunderCats and SilverHawks are probably selling at a healthy level but may have dipped somewhat over the years.
Actually I think Brian was saying that pre-orders are down industry-wide 75% as a whole... which again, I don't buy when you look at how other companies are doing. Feels like something he kind of pulled out a hat after talking about how a DIC G.I. Joe line had to be canceled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I know he can't (without losing access), but Veebs should have pressed him on that dichotomy.
I totally agree.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:50 AM   #4943
teemu
Stone Warrior

Brian's idiot move to make 3 GI Joe DIC variants hopefully taught him a lesson to stop wasting time on variants, period. People want our classic characters yet, like Shipwreck, Quick Kick, Spirit, Snow job, Mutt & Junkyard etc. Brian keeps making the junk that he wants will only continue to hurt his business.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:08 AM   #4944
mikey see
Mad Scientist

I actually totally buy that preorders are down across the whole industry. Collectors went absolutely CRAZY for preorders from like 2020-2022 because the supply chain was so jacked that preorders were about the only way to be sure you'd actually get a toy. Now that things have returned to normal(ish) we're all settling down and realizing that almost everything is back to being readily available, often for a little less with patience. So preorders are likely back in 2019 territory, which I can 100% see being only a fraction of what they were during the pandemic. I'm sure massive inflation has played into that as well.

*obviously just basing this off of my own experience and what I've seen others mention across a few different forums and social media. But I know I had to start a friggin spreadsheet to track my preorders at one point, there were so many. Now I pretty much only need to advance-order exclusives or crowdfunds.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #4945
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Do only the full waves come in the cardboard covers? I just received one without and it bothers me a lot.

I need symmetry.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:16 AM   #4946
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

No, I think they stopped doing those across with everything.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 AM   #4947
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
No, I think they stopped doing those across with everything.
yeah, after we pre-ordered expecting a uniformed line. Cut costs even after the customers paid for the sleeve and mailer.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:22 AM   #4948
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I actually totally buy that preorders are down across the whole industry. Collectors went absolutely CRAZY for preorders from like 2020-2022 because the supply chain was so jacked that preorders were about the only way to be sure you'd actually get a toy. Now that things have returned to normal(ish) we're all settling down and realizing that almost everything is back to being readily available, often for a little less with patience. So preorders are likely back in 2019 territory, which I can 100% see being only a fraction of what they were during the pandemic. I'm sure massive inflation has played into that as well.

*obviously just basing this off of my own experience and what I've seen others mention across a few different forums and social media. But I know I had to start a friggin spreadsheet to track my preorders at one point, there were so many. Now I pretty much only need to advance-order exclusives or crowdfunds.
I did a preorder purge at the beginning of the year on BBTS - went from 130 items preordered down to 8.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:15 PM   #4949
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

SDCC exclusive leak - Pizza Chef Mikey
https://x.com/preterniadotcom/status/1780809944553423249?s=46&t=eV5zqTgMySHN3w9RDOY7yg
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #4950
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Brian's idiot move to make 3 GI Joe DIC variants hopefully taught him a lesson to stop wasting time on variants, period.
And now, heeeeeeeere's Pizza Chef Mikey! Lol
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #4951
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
And now, heeeeeeeere's Pizza Chef Mikey! Lol
and Zartan too, while charging a premium for it..
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #4952
mikey see
Mad Scientist

To be fair, this is what exclusives SHOULD be - variants. If they're hard to get they won't be a giant hole in your collection.

I'll admit I still had a bit of an angry chuckle when I saw these though. They're so lazy, even by Super7 standards.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #4953
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Exclusives were once upon a time "harder" to get. I don't feel that way lately, though.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #4954
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
To be fair, this is what exclusives SHOULD be - variants. If they're hard to get they won't be a giant hole in your collection.

I'll admit I still had a bit of an angry chuckle when I saw these though. They're so lazy, even by Super7 standards.
That's my point. Variants are lazy and take away from getting New characters that we keep asking for, making us wait longer for them. It's annoying cash grab and Super7 is king of it!
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #4955
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestergoblin View Post
SDCC exclusive leak - Pizza Chef Mikey
https://x.com/preterniadotcom/status...ySHN3w9RDOY7yg
My favorite turtle in the laziest variant to date....

They should have tossed in a Grybyx or Ice Cream Kitty (like Mondo does with their buddy pack-ins) to add value to the release. Not these lame pizza boxes (albeit appropriate here) that everyone has from Super7 and NECA.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #4956
Otter
Stone Warrior

See... that Mikey makes total sense to me. I want it. And that Sheila. These are great!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #4957
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
That's my point. Variants are lazy and take away from getting New characters that we keep asking for, making us wait longer for them. It's annoying cash grab and Super7 is king of it!
I don't think this is taking anything away from anything, since it's not actually part of a main wave, and just an exclusive. Though as Mikey See says, this really is what exclusives should be. Something that isn't going to feel like a hole in your collection if you miss it.

Though even as far as that goes, this IS pretty lazy. Undercover Raph had more effort put in than this. But... at least this makes this that much of an easier skip for me. More power to those that want this, though.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote