The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Popular culture moral panic you remember

What popular culture moral panic do you remember?

I recall when video was considered too violent, hard rock and heavy metal being considered satanic and blamed for church arsons, a lot of fighting videogames being blamed for violence.

Can someone please move this to Everyting else.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Pokémon and Harry Potter were paths to Satan when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Can someone plese move this to "everything else"?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Portuguese media sh*ting on pro wrestling. On one hand they'd say it was "fake", but on the other one they also said it was violent and turned kids violent.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I think The Simpsons got similar flak for the stuff they did in the early days of the series.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
sdp
-

There's the current SJW moral panic on how offensive everything is affecting video games now. Ironic how the left can be as censor happy as the right was.

I remember as a kid anime was blamed for everything, since it was anime they did have plenty of perverted/violent stuff, Saint Seiya, Ranma etc were among the popular shows at the time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:53 AM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto were the biggest video games to cause "moral panic" from what I remember. When they first came out anyway. San Andreas Hot Coffee hack stirred up attention for a bit. (Pun intended)

Beavis and Butt-head. Some kid died from starting a fire I think which led to the warning before each episode and moved later at night.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Beavis and Butt-head. Some kid died from starting a fire I think which led to the warning before each episode and moved later at night.
Didn't they always have that disclaimer before every episode?

I've never heard the story you mentioned, but there was this incident where some kids stuck a firecracker in a cat's anus and lit it, and said they saw it on Beavis and Butt-head. After that, the show was moved to a much later time in the day. Now, even though those kids blame Beavis and Butt-head for what they did, Mike Judge said no such thing ever happened in an episode. That's kind of like how some kids in a European country beat up on a girl to the point of killing her, and Power Rangers was blamed for it. The boys said they've never even seen the show.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Duke Nukem 3D came out just after a mass shooting here in Australia where 35 people were killed. As a result, the game had to be heavily censored before it was allowed to be sold. All the blood and gore was removed, because lobby groups were convinced that the shooting, and violent entertainment were somehow related.

Even back then I knew it was BS because they also removed the strippers and sexual references. Did boobies also drive the gunman to mass murder? It was just the usual group of fundamentalists and holier-than-thou parents groups using a tragedy to extend their influence.

The dumbest part of it was that none of them understood computer games at all, and they had no idea that you could simply open one of the game's config files in a text editor, change a setting that =1 to =0, and all the censored content was back in.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Didn't they always have that disclaimer before every episode?

I've never heard the story you mentioned, but there was this incident where some kids stuck a firecracker in a cat's anus and lit it, and said they saw it on Beavis and Butt-head. After that, the show was moved to a much later time in the day. Now, even though those kids blame Beavis and Butt-head for what they did, Mike Judge said no such thing ever happened in an episode. That's kind of like how some kids in a European country beat up on a girl to the point of killing her, and Power Rangers was blamed for it. The boys said they've never even seen the show.
Wikipedia says the disclaimer was added after the various incidents.

It mentions the cat story and the fire story. A 5 year old boy lit a fire in is home and it killed his 2 year old sister.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #11
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Wikipedia says the disclaimer was added after the various incidents.

It mentions the cat story and the fire story. A 5 year old boy lit a fire in is home and it killed his 2 year old sister.
I remember there being two disclaimers, but I didn't know it was changed because of an incident.

I see it mentions them just talking about putting a firecracker in a cat's anus. I bet we don't see it actually happen, however.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I always laughed at those stupid uneducated morons.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Garbage Pail Kids cards were banned from a lot of schools back then for "being a distraction in class", "ridiculing the handicapped", and "glorifieing violence".

C'mon! That's what made them great!
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #14
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto were the biggest video games to cause "moral panic" from what I remember. When they first came out anyway. San Andreas Hot Coffee hack stirred up attention for a bit. (Pun intended)

I remember this. It was a boy, that's all I remember.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Yes, those were the two main ones of our generation.

I didn't understand the Harry Potter flak at all. They were good wizards fighting bad wizards, never overtly contradicted Christianity, and it was far from the first piece of fiction of its kind.

Where was the outrage for Wizard of Oz? Merlin and Arthur? The Rankin/Bass Santa Claus stuff? It was definitely when I started to realize adults could be as stupid and gullible as children.

--

Now Pokémon is a different story. I lived and breathed that sh*t all through 3rd grade and couldn't stand when people shunned it, but Jesus Christ, what a dystopian society that portrays. They live in world where pretty much every non-human creature has an amazing ability... and not only do they fight them, but they're ****ing encouraged to fight them! Plus all the 10 year olds having shower room ass sex? Bleh.

And I wish I could say it was all harmless fun, but the consumerism it espoused was a ****ing plaque. Kids were stealing, smuggling and losing their minds over it.

I was unloading a Charizard I stole from a good friend, and when word got out I had to bloody a kids face with a garden hose nozzle when he, his friend and his ****ing little sister jumped me in the street.

He already had all 151 cards, but was willing to rob me of my binder because "we want doubles".

Sick.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 02-04-2017 at 06:53 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Plus all the 10 year olds having shower room ass sex? Bleh.
Wait, what?
Have you been reading CyberCubed's old fan-fiction?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #17
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Garbage Pail Kids cards were banned from a lot of schools back then for "being a distraction in class", "ridiculing the handicapped", and "glorifieing violence".

C'mon! That's what made them great!
I've never liked GPK, but I never thought those things about them. I'm pretty sure it's not what the creators were going for either. I remember my third grade teacher banning them, but it was most likely because she thought they were sick to look at, and stupid. Also, I went to a different school when I was in first grade, and we had this substitute teacher for a while. She considered them toys, and we weren't allowed to bring toys to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yes, those were the two main ones of our generation.

I didn't understand the Harry Potter flak at all. They were good wizards fighting bad wizards, never overtly contradicted Christianity, and it was far from the first piece of fiction of its kind.
Any practice of magic is considered a sin in Christianity. I'm a Christian, but I got the books. They never inspired me to try any spells though, and they probably haven't had that effect on all kids. Then again, I was 23 when I started reading them, and the fifth book would come out a year later.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #18
ToTheNines
[sic]

So Moses committed a sin when he parted the Red Sea?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

God parted the Red Sea through Moses' staff. Wasn't magic.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ok, and to my understanding, pretty much every great feat in the Bible was accomplished through God. Harry Potter never said the magic at hand wasn't God's work.

Either way, it's ****ing fiction. And there'd been a million other witch/wizard stories in various mediums before it. Just goes to show what sheep people can be.