The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #21
LH
Leatherhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just talked it over with Jim Lawson and we'll be revving things up soon on a new graphic novel project in the vein of "Odyssey" called "TMNT: Origin." It's Mirage TMNT-based. Jim is drawing it.

It's going to be heavy sci-fi. Donatello, a Triceraton, Leatherhead, Jhanna (remember her?), and Dr. X (the Utrom) board a spacecraft specifically built to travel to the center of the universe to unlock the secrets of the beginning of all life from the wellspring of the Big Bang. For Donatello, this is more personal: it means unlocking -- potentially -- the truth behind he and his brothers' apparently accidental creation.

Their journey across space is vast and there are unexpected discoveries along the way. And surprise guests. And answers.
Nice!!! I'd love to help support the project in any way possible!!!
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Great idea! Look forward to seeing some more updates.

-ms
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

Right on Andrew! This sounds awesome, reminds me of a sort of Star Wars type of adventure. Keeping my fingers crossed for the Predator crossover to be finished. Thanks in advance for all the hard work that goes into putting these projects together, you da man.

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Turtle Fan View Post
Right on Andrew! This sounds awesome, reminds me of a sort of Star Wars type of adventure. Keeping my fingers crossed for the Predator crossover to be finished. Thanks in advance for all the hard work that goes into putting these projects together, you da man.
It's really more 2001: A Space Odyssey than it is Star Wars. But it's Turtles, so of course there will be some action too. The fun part will be the interaction between Donatello, (away from his brothers) and his colleagues and how they have to learn to operate together as a team amidst some of the biggest cosmic forces and beings in existance.

It's kind of like, with the Image finisher it was a fairly gritty balls to the walls ninja actioner. With Odyssey, it goes balls deep into time travel with a smattering of the multiverse too. With TMNT vs. Predator it's more of a thinking man's cat and mouse game where they are truly presented with a superior opponent. Origin, it's an all-out sci-fi outer space adventure with a touch of what you might call the supernatural. So kind of covering all the bases.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-26-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
Da Senzai
Mouser

That sounds way too awesome!

Also, I found out about Odyssey too late. If there is a way to buy a physical copy of the book, when it is done, then I am in! .

And I think others are to
Da Senzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #26
discordiatookie
facehugger

This sounds awesome! Look forward to it.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
mrmaczaps
Banned

Can't wait to hear more about this! Just finished reading the final two Image books that you did. Loved how it ties things up. Issue #24 was a bit rough with the art but multiple steps above where the image series itself was... Cannot wait anyways. Thanks!
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Powder
So tired of this place

No offense to Arseniy but if you think his art is better than Frank's you're outta yer mind!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
No offense to Arseniy but if you think his art is better than Frank's you're outta yer mind!
I do love Fosco's style. But, in all fairness, I thought the worst looking page in Image finale was the full page splash done by Fosco... I actually assumed it was Arsenjy and called it "fan art-y". Oops!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I do love Fosco's style. But, in all fairness, I thought the worst looking page in Image finale was the full page splash done by Fosco... I actually assumed it was Arsenjy and called it "fan art-y". Oops!
That's because it wasn't truly Fosco's work. Frank did a rough sketch for that page, & then Arseniy took a bunch of creative liberties in inking/recreating it.
Same for the splash in the other book. Frank is given sole credit for both, but he just loosely penciled them. Hell, I did a bunch of layouts for #24 I didn't get credit for. I guess the intro pages weren't quite right.

Spoiler:
Original Fosco pencils rough sketch-

Arseniy's inked version-

Arseniy puts his own style on things quite excessively. His linework is much thicker & less tight than Franks.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
For Donatello, this is more personal: it means unlocking -- potentially -- the truth behind he and his brothers' apparently accidental creation.
Voting for team "oh, it really was just random chance" here, personally.

Looking forward to this of course, along with all the others.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #32
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
[SPOILER]Original Fosco pencils rough sketch-
http://i59.tinypic.com/2zg6s8p.jpg.
No disrespect to Arseniy, but seeing Frank's rough shot makes me wish that was the panel used in the book.

Using the tighter shot just feels right, and evokes a sense of coherence with certain images from Volume 1. The audience didn't really need to see the Mike's head, nor the pulled back shot of the whole farm, but I suppose he was going for an "optimistic" feeling for the reader.

Personally, if it were me, I would have simply tightened up Frank's already nice draft, inked it and called it a day; no embellishments needed.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
No disrespect to Arseniy, but seeing Frank's rough shot makes me wish that was the panel used in the book.

Using the tighter shot just feels right, and evokes a sense of coherence with certain images from Volume 1. The audience didn't really need to see the Mike's head, nor the pulled back shot of the whole farm, but I suppose he was going for an "optimistic" feeling for the reader.

Personally, if it were me, I would have simply tightened up Frank's already nice draft, inked it and called it a day; no embellishments needed.
Frank's sketch wasn't formatted to fit comic book page dimensions. Arseniy took liberties. Choice = none.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #34
GreenDemon
Mouser

So excited to find out about this project! To me, the name Jim Lawson is synonomous with golden age Mirage material. Looking forward to helping out in any way, shape, or form. I'm more than a little jealous that you get to work with him.
GreenDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDemon View Post
To me, the name Jim Lawson is synonomous with golden age Mirage material.
To me, Jim Lawson is synonymous with golden age, silver age, bronze age, and modern age Mirage material. Because he is.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
Fearing
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDemon View Post
To me, the name Jim Lawson is synonomous with golden age Mirage material.
Seriously, more like EVERY age of Mirage material. Outside of Eastman and Laird working together there's no one that equals Mirage turtles art more... and a pretty good case could probably be made art wise that puts Jim above E&L as well, but being the original creators should probably get you a bit more weight on that alone. Lord knows he's got a larger body of material though.
Fearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #37
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearing View Post
Seriously, more like EVERY age of Mirage material. Outside of Eastman and Laird working together there's no one that equals Mirage turtles art more... and a pretty good case could probably be made art wise that puts Jim above E&L as well, but being the original creators should probably get you a bit more weight on that alone. Lord knows he's got a larger body of material though.
Don't let Lawson's writing contributions go unnoticed either. He scripted "City at War" as best as anyone can remember, and Volume 2 as well. Both parts of the series that were fundamental in shaping the tone of later Mirage.

He's right up there with Eastman and Laird on all parts of the franchise except the early days.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
GreenDemon
Mouser

I've been a fan since my grubby hands found a copy the comic adaptation of the first film. His art throughout the City at War story arc is superb. The storyline itself was so raw and gritty, the art flawlessly captured those dynamics. The shades of grey is what I truly missed in Vol. 4.

His non-TMNT work is awesome as well and I would like to get a commission piece when the money situation looks a little better.
GreenDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

For me, it'll be exciting to see Lawson's work brought to life in full-on, modern digital color.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #40
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior

Quote:
For me, it'll be exciting to see Lawson's work brought to life in full-on, modern digital color.
Not sure if I missed it, but who's gonna be coloring "Origin"?
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote