The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Jamezer
Foot Soldier

thanks

thanks your a doll!!

do you think that could be behind the power source problem as well?

Cartman: "My mom says that there's a lot of black people in Africa"

Last edited by Krang; 01-21-2005 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Please don't double post.
Jamezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #22
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Hey Ai... I have a question.

My friend downloaded The Cutie Honey movie for me, but it's in MKV format... and I can't get it to burn to a video format DVD. any recomendations, or suggestions?
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #23
Super Moderator

To Jamezer: Yes, I believe so.

To Alison Chains: You should check this guide out to convert the .mkv to an .avi file type. Then you can convert that to DVD format no problem. It's a bit extensive and tedious, but it gets the job done. It's unfortunate it had to be in that format.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 PM   #24
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ls/tmpgenc.cfm

MKV to MPEG converter.

http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/...rt/mkv/avi.php

MKV to AVI conversion.

Hope that helps.

*edit* crap, beat me to it.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:08 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Both work, and TMB's references seem to be faster. Feel free to try either one.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #26
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

*kicks computer*

Something strange is goin on with my puter. its running Win98, Dell system, Pentium III...

I'm trying to run Photoshop, and during using it, the computer just suddenly stops working. Nothing's responding. I go to restart it, and something comes up.. "Alert! Regulator Failure" The computer starts up and works fine, but its done this to me twice so far when I run Photoshop. what is the regulator, and why's it messing up on me?
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Oh...snap.

Okay, this is some serious stuff. What's happening is the regulator in the power supply is going bad, meaning it won't properly transfer the voltage to the CPU, which means you could end up frying your processor. I would suggest contacting Dell about it to see if they can send you a replacement power supply. I would also use your computer as least as possible, because it could fry your processor at any moment. Yikes...

Why it's happening when you run Photoshop is because Photoshop is pretty graphic-intensive when it comes to colors, shades, dimensions, etc. That puts a lot of pressure on the processor, and that's what causes your computer to hang, the processor isn't either getting enough power, or too much power. So there you go.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #28
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Oh ****...
This is a custom my brother made me, so contacting Dell wouldnt do any good.

Would it be safer for me to just remove Photoshop? I never had a problem before this...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #29
Super Moderator

If you want, but if you play any games on the computer, that might do it, too. You could also just go out and buy a new power supply. They can't be over $50.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #30
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee
Fortunately I dont play video games on my computer. Just Messengers and the music players. I'll remove Photoshop, and then talk to the Computer guys here on campus about getting a new power supply. Hopefully it will be easy to get installed.

*hugs* Thanks Ai... If I'd fried this, I seriously woulda cried...

Ugh.. ok, its still acting up, despite taking Photoshop off. I'm gonna take what I need off this and borrow out a laptop from the computer office tomorrow...

*grumbles* just what I need.... can this kinda thing just up and die suddenly, or is it something thats more gradual?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #31
Super Moderator

That really depends on how badly the power supply is screwed up. What it's going to do eventually is give your processor spikes of voltage, similar to what happens when there's a brownout. Once that happens, like the Japanese say, "GAME OVER desu!" If you're going to transfer stuff to a laptop, I suggest doing it as soon as possible to avoid any chance of it happening.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #32
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Oh geez... I"m gonna do it in the morning, cuz the Office here doesnt have any spare laptops til then. Could my hard drives be at risk of getting fried?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #33
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

That would be the least of your worries. I mean, if your CPU gets fried, then you can have all the hard drive you want and it's still useless. If I was you I'd just get a new power supply asap. And I'd start making backups around now.

my brother fried his computer a year ago. Some 1.8 Ghz thing. Well, the big frying started somewhere around the RAM, but what was fried in the end, when the computer couldn't carry on working, was way more shocking. Mainboard, CPU, Hard Drive, both RAM-things. In the end, what still could be used was the Floppy, the DVD/CD/CDR-drive, keyboard, mouse.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #34
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Well, I've called my mom about the power supply, and have a laptop for tonight. Strange new experience for me. I talked to the computer guys here, and they wont do anything with it Unless I buy the power supply (about 80$) and bring it to them to install. But now I know whats wrong, and it'll be easy to fix...

I just wanted to thank you again Ai... if it wasnt for you, my computer probably would have ended up as one giant paperweight...
Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #35
Super Moderator

My pleasure. It pains me to see people with computer problems, mostly because I've been in everyone's shoes at one time or another. It is frustrating, but at least I can prevent it now.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #36
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

hey Ai, do you know how to get rid of Spyware? I'm kinda screwed from BitTorrent.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #37
Super Moderator

Ah, yes. The ever-lurking spyware. I've answered this problem a few posts back, but I don't mind answering it again.

You can try one of two programs.

Spybot Search-and-Destroy

or

Ad-Aware

Both are free to download, and are shareware. Use them as much as you want. That should hook you up pretty well. If you still get problems, you can always wipe out your Startup by...

Start, Run, type in "msconfig." Go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything except the ones you use the most, such as AIM or MSN or whatever you want to start up whenever Windows starts up. Some spyware is activated when you start Windows, so you would be wise to turn it off, in case the spyware removal programs doesn't get rid of it.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #38
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Thank you so much. I'll try both
Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #39
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

Do you know anything about wireless routers? Because mine is being a piece of **** today.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #40
Super Moderator

I don't know that much about them, seeing as how I don't own one, but I can give it a shot. Tell me what your problem is, Matt.