The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > The Technodrome News

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #21
EZweasel
Stone Warrior

what about if jakks took it over. they do an amazing job on dragon ball z & WWE figures...they put a good amount of articulation, but not too much like toybiz.. they do a great job on face scultping..jakks used to not be that great, but they have realy come along ways...peter laird isnt gona switch toy companies though and playmates ant gona want to give it up.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #22
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZweasel
what about if jakks took it over. they do an amazing job on dragon ball z & WWE figures...they put a good amount of articulation, but not too much like toybiz.. they do a great job on face scultping..jakks used to not be that great, but they have realy come along ways...peter laird isnt gona switch toy companies though and playmates ant gona want to give it up.
It allready looks like they have taken over....seems to me like some ones either taken playmates tmnt sculpter hostage.....or they fired him and got some one new....because these things look like bad chinese rip off toys.
and I'm sorry I'd hate the line even more if jacks took over because they can't even get the wrestlers to look like the real people so I doubt theyd do a decent job with a mutant turtle.
The company I'd like to see do the turtles though would be Mezco or Palisades....I mean seriosly they cost a bit more but look at the attention and detail they put into there lines....The recent Ren & Stimpy line is amazing! and size accurate!
-VM
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #23
Triceraton
Foot Soldier

Yeah, I don't want Jakks getting this line.

I didn't mention Mezco or Palisades because the TMNT license is probably too expensive for them. It's possible they could do them, but for now they're mainly specialty market companies.

Though now that they've been mentioned, they're easily two of my favorite companies(I was one of the first people in the Palisades Collector's Club).
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #24
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceraton
I didn't mention Mezco or Palisades because the TMNT license is probably too expensive for them. It's possible they could do them, but for now they're mainly specialty market companies.
I realize Playmates probably has the TMNT rights totally in the bag, but it'd be nice to have a highly-detailed line of figures based on the original Mirage comics.

I highly doubt we'll see such a thing anytime soon, but it's still a nice thought.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #25
Quiller-Bee
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryKatz
...it'd be nice to have a highly-detailed line of figures based on the original Mirage comics.
Man, you can say that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryKatz
I highly doubt we'll see such a thing anytime soon, but it's still a nice thought.
If ever ... but we can dream, can't we?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #26
Midnight_Tanuki
Foot Soldier

Actually, I like the Ninja Knights figures. that's probably gonna be the variant set I buy

I hope they come with their original weapons like the fg turtles did. and their armor looks removeable and look... ball joints with no hinged hands

Midnight_Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 AM   #27
EZweasel
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZweasel
It allready looks like they have taken over....seems to me like some ones either taken playmates tmnt sculpter hostage.....or they fired him and got some one new....because these things look like bad chinese rip off toys.
and I'm sorry I'd hate the line even more if jacks took over because they can't even get the wrestlers to look like the real people so I doubt theyd do a decent job with a mutant turtle.
The company I'd like to see do the turtles though would be Mezco or Palisades....I mean seriosly they cost a bit more but look at the attention and detail they put into there lines....The recent Ren & Stimpy line is amazing! and size accurate!
-VM
Jakks wrestling line of figures look almost identicle to the real people because the now use real scan technology. Haveyou seen the classic superstar series?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #28
Triceraton
Foot Soldier

Uh, Real Scan is definitely NOT good. Seriously, some companies use it as a replacement for real talented sculptors, and it isn't. A great example of this are the first Lord of the Rings figures, they were almost all Real Scan, and they were terrible likenesses. Since then they've moved away from using Real Scan, and the figures look much better. A hand sculpted piece that's done correctly will always look much, much more accurate than a scanned headsculpt. And even a scanned headsculpt usually needs a lot of touching up before it should be used, I'm not convinced that Jakks does it.

I'll admit Jakks is getting better, and I have picked up a few of the Classic Superstars line. But with a very few exceptions, the heads still look pretty far off thanks to relying on Real Scan too much. Also the Jakks wrestling figures are under articulated, they at the very least need ball-jointed hips and maybe thigh cut joints, as it is the legs aren't very poseable at all.

But that's unrelated to the TMNT figures. As figures based on an animated property, they don't need as much articulation. They should whenever possible at least try to get ball jointed hips and shoulders worked in though.

The point is, if we're selecting companies that would do better than Playmates at this line, I certainly wouldn't say Jakks is one of them.
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote