The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #161
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYX View Post
(LOL, you can just call me JYX instead of JL or JLS. Really doesn't matter what you prefer... I just wanted some random, anonymous acronym to login quickly into this site. I changed from JLS because I found out from Wikipedia, JLS is a contemporary British R&B group, that we have no clue about in America, so I don't have a preference for their music or anything like that. )

Anyways, back to the story...

It's not that I'm "disappointed in you being a writer", FAR from that, you know that I enjoy your work . ...I was more interested to see where you wanted to take Baxter Stockman. Since these were your fanfic stories and was an opportunity to take the OT into a direction all your own, I was curious as to what plans you had for Baxter and where you wanted to take his character since you had thought about these stories for some years and since he was an iconic villain. ...But nothing significant really transpired for him in the sixth story, so that was where my disappointment resided in.
To be frank, I hadnt ever really thought about this Baxter story long and hard, yes there were some stories I'd been wanting to tell for years, but this one was very, pardon the pun, "on the fly"..

In fact, doing research on his last episode for this was just about the first time I'd seen an 80s era Baxter episode in ages and I couldnt really find anything new to say with him, but you're coming up with all these wonderful suggestions that I really took for granted because I didnt see anything different with that sort of ground being treaded...being a writer, I wanted to flex myself creativly and it probably would have been too much of a shopping list if I factored in all of these ideas.

I know you arent dissapointed in me, but I am sorry that your Baxter fix was short-changed. There's still plenty of fics left to go, and you never know...Baxter could crop up again when all is said and done, and if he does, he may just be everything you expect and more.

Quote:
As for being influenced by other shows (i.e. you mentioning BBC's Sherlock), I use other TV shows and movies too as inspiration as well, but only from a character interaction/personality perspective. I try to strongly guard myself from following the plot lines
Oh absolutely. Other than a few allusions to some moments in Sherlock, Sagan is entirely his own character and his scheme and perspectives are uniquely his own, and I don't make it apparent in the authors notes or anything instructing the reader to pretend he's actor Andrew Scott, it's still entirely left up to the reader what kind of voice and persona they want him to be, matching whatever is in their heads too.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-02-2013 at 04:46 PM.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #162
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
but you're coming up with all these wonderful suggestions that I really took for granted because I didnt see anything different with that sort of ground being treaded...being a writer, I wanted to flex myself creativly and it probably would have been too much of a shopping list if I factored in all of these ideas.
Oh no, I wasn't expecting you to answer all those questions I had stated earlier , I just thought from a continuity perspective maybe one of those questions would be answered and maybe a plot working around it since these were sequel stories, that's all. ...It would have been completely unfair of me to ask or demand all of those questions needing to be answered, and it would have made your writing process too heavy with so many storylines to answer.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #163
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ah, well fair enough then

Anyhoo, I'll work Baxter into another story and we'll try to have better luck next time. Think I know just where to put him.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #164
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Or maybe not even a plot, but a subplot (secondary plot) with answering one of those questions. (Again, totally up to you where you want to go with your stories and what direction.)
I guess what I'm trying to convey is: I'm curious to see what you would consider a good resolution to Baxter's character if you were in charge of the OT making sequels.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #165
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Or maybe not even a plot, but a subplot (secondary plot) with answering one of those questions. (Again, totally up to you where you want to go with your stories and what direction.)
I guess what I'm trying to convey is: I'm curious to see what you would consider a good resolution to Baxter's character if you were in charge of the OT making sequels.
Your desire to see where I could take that story is really exciting me and fuelling a lot of fresh thinking, I'm already peicing together exactly what to do, so thanks as always for that
Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #166
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Review on the "The Dreggs of Society" (7th Book) Sample Excerpt

I really love the introductory paragraphs in describing the outdoor scene, and then transitioning into the relationship between Michelangelo and April. Furthermore, I also enjoy how you were describing the progression of the relationship. How it started off as curiosity in the 4th book, flirtation in the 5th, infatuated dating in the 6th, and now a more comfortable, causal relationship in this 7th book. Great job Zarius! Most shipping writers would just end the romance with this blissful conclusion just after they decided to date, but here you are realistically displaying its progression. ***claps***

...But there are a couple things that seem a bit out of character.
1) Michelangelo's more analytical review of the movie. While I know that Michelangelo is a big comic book/movie fan, I don't know if he would be that articulate or eloquent. Now I'm not saying Michelangelo is dumb, in fact his OT depiction is probably one of the brightest (or most normal intelligent) versions of Michelangelo in the franchise, but there's a severe lack of surfer slang in his dialogue.

When I read this:
Quote:
"Not dark ALL the time, just a little variety now and then" Michelangelo added, "They've done the same movies five times now to the point this is all becoming formula. I'll be the first person to say I don't go to these movies to think, but it wouldn't be at all a bad thing if they took their world as seriously as we do"
...I was a bit, like this . Michelangelo has proven himself to be able to think deep (especially with matters of the heart or emotion), but there should at least be a few words of surfer slang vocabulary to give the speech's tone a more relaxed and casual feel to it. I mean OT Michelangelo's speech has a presence all its own, compared to his other brothers. (I did notice you used the word "vibe" when Michelangelo spoke before this statement.) Otherwise this dialogue could be confused for one of Michelangelo's brothers instead, like Leonardo or Donatello who speak a little more formally.

2) With April, saying "You feeling peckish right now? What to chow down somewhere?" You can just say "hungry", nobody in America really says peckish from what I've heard. Try, "Feeling hungry? Wanna get something to eat?"

Hmm... you're making me curious as to what you have in store for Dregg. I'm wondering, for this story, what "Red Sky" and "Blue Sky" (Seasons 1-7) elements you are going to incorporate into this story. ...And if this tone may be slightly more serious since Dregg was a "Red Sky" villain.

I guess I'll find out later...
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #167
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Glad you enjoyed the sample JYX, yeah the relationship progression has been of key note to me. I actually was reading some god-awful April/Mike fanfic a couple of weeks ago on FF.net which skipped over the slow and steady portions we all have to go through entirely. I said to myself "this fresh little pairing isnt going to be represented by THAT". It's funny how every fan project that depicts April and Mikey in a relationship (even parody videos), just seems to fixate principly on consumation rather than anything grounded.

With Mikey's rather ellquent critique, it was more a case of "writer on board" and me using Mikey as a mouthpeice for my own opinions, which I clearly didnt camoflauge. Of course, it is a sample from an early draft, so I can go back and add some extra slang just to make it crystal clear Mikey's still emersed in his world.

I have a very different idea with Dregg in this one, and they'll be teems of cameos from other Red Sky alumini as well. Stay tuned for what will be a big love letter to that era.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #168
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's funny how every fan project that depicts April and Mikey in a relationship (even parody videos), just seems to fixate principly on consumation rather than anything grounded.
I would like to assume that they are focusing on the humorous situation of it in all in those consummated examples (aka "crack fics"). But sometimes if they are making these fan projects with an ounce or more of seriousness, and write such detailed explicit fics about the consummation... LOL, I sometimes wonder about the magnitude of their curiosity for "fantasies unfulfilled". ROFL

Quote:
With Mikey's rather ellquent critique, it was more a case of "writer on board" and me using Mikey as a mouthpeice for my own opinions, which I clearly didnt camoflauge.
I kind of figured it was , that you were inserting your opinions about it and that's cool with me, all writers do that. I gotta ask though, with your emphasis on the Mikey/April relationship, your avatar picture, and using Michelangelo as a mouthpiece for your opinions... is Michelangelo your favorite Turtle? The one you can most identify with? ...C'mon now Zarius, give it up...lol.

Quote:
I have a very different idea with Dregg in this one, and they'll be teems of cameos from other Red Sky alumini as well. Stay tuned for what will be a big love letter to that era.
That's great Zarius! The only villains that get written from the "Red Sky" seasons is typically only Dregg, but it will be good to read about other minor villains from that era getting some cameo features. Such as Megavolt, Titanus, Medusa, Chronos, Doomquest, and the GlobFather.

Speaking of Red Sky characters, maybe even Landor and Merrick could visit. It would be hilarious for them to make a remark, "Yeah, we knew that April and Michelangelo would get together, but we didn't want to tell you two back then; otherwise you two would have been too freaked out for that relationship to even occur."

...I'll just throw in these ideas to let it simmer in your mind a little bit, and see what you prepare for in the 7th book.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #169
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I kind of figured it was , that you were inserting your opinions about it and that's cool with me, all writers do that. I gotta ask though, with your emphasis on the Mikey/April relationship, your avatar picture, and using Michelangelo as a mouthpiece for your opinions... is Michelangelo your favorite Turtle? The one you can most identify with? ...C'mon now Zarius, give it up...lol.
I think I relate more to Raph and Don more, but Mikey is certaingly the one I wish I was more like in everyday life and with women.

Quote:
That's great Zarius! The only villains that get written from the "Red Sky" seasons is typically only Dregg, but it will be good to read about other minor villains from that era getting some cameo features. Such as Megavolt, Titanus, Medusa, Chronos, Doomquest, and the GlobFather.
Yes, it's a very different way of bringing them together, some are bit parts, others are major, best I can describe it is that it's an "urban thriller that spans time and space"

Quote:
Speaking of Red Sky characters, maybe even Landor and Merrick could visit.
Every now and then you make such lucky guesses...or creep into my mind while I'm sleeping...
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #170
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Every now and then you make such lucky guesses...or creep into my mind while I'm sleeping...
It's only fair Zarius , as I've said earlier in this thread and others, that you've been using some form of mental telepathy with a style of writing in some details close to mine.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #172
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist

Great start! I cannot wait to read more!!!!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #173
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Thanks. I'll try to update this every weekend while "We Are Shadows" will take up weekdays
Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #174
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist

Awesome! I'm already intrigued by this one!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #175
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Read and reviewed it, Zar. Awesome job so far. I can't wait to read more.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #176
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Hey ZairusTwo,

I didn't start reading "The Dreggs of Society" yet, but I will . I wanted to ask a few questions before reading:
1) I noticed that the genre of this story is not including humor now (unlike the previous six stories). Is it because its more or less a tribute to the "Red Sky" tone for this particular story? Or are these stories becoming gradually more serious? Because, I've noticed also the sixth and seventh stories now have a K+ rating.

2) Due to these observations, LOL, I wondering if I should imagine the Turtles with their angular faces and sky being red for this story, with its more dreary landscape? Or imagine the Turtles' appearances, skies, and visual backdrops, as it was during the "Blue Sky" (Seasons 1-7) era?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #177
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Hey ZairusTwo,

I didn't start reading "The Dreggs of Society" yet, but I will . I wanted to ask a few questions before reading:
1) I noticed that the genre of this story is not including humor now (unlike the previous six stories). Is it because its more or less a tribute to the "Red Sky" tone for this particular story? Or are these stories becoming gradually more serious? Because, I've noticed also the sixth and seventh stories now have a K+ rating.
Sort of yeah, there will be a couple of witty lines still (gotta give Raph something to do) but this is very much in keeping with the Red Sky, and the K+ thing is there because of some heightened bursts of mature subject matter such as coping with depression amongst other things

Quote:
2) Due to these observations, LOL, I wondering if I should imagine the Turtles with their angular faces and sky being red for this story, with its more dreary landscape? Or imagine the Turtles' appearances, skies, and visual backdrops, as it was during the "Blue Sky" (Seasons 1-7) era?
That's the perspective I've stuck to when writing the thing, so it's good to put yourself in that mood.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #178
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Dreggs of Society is at last complete. I started it way back in June 2013 and it took me the rest of the year to wrap up because I got so caught up in video editing and being swamped with other fanfic projects.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #179
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

That's awesome to hear. Can't wait for the final chapter. You must be so proud to have finally finished it. Good job.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #180
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yep, finishing a story does make one feel releived knowing you've commited to something even in periods where you feel it was going at a right snail's pace and other work commitments were creeping up on you. I just got busier and buisier all year. I remember when I started these fics and was updating on a daily basis. I don't know if I'll quite replicate that feat again.

Here's something fun, I was looking back on this thread and found my old synopsis for "Dreggs of Society", suffice to say...this plotline didnt materialize in this particular form at all. Another victim of my ever changing mind when it comes to reimagining my stories

Quote:
"The Dreggs of Society"

Synopsis: Three key charity players are working on commiting a major swindle. As the Turtles investigate, they come across the Intergalactic peacekepper Kershaw, who has arrived with an urgent warning...Lord Dregg's final revenge is about to be put into effect...
Let's see....the "three key charity players" ended up becoming just a singular charity in the service of the Monster Minds, and peacekeeeper Kershaw morphed instead into Carter..

Now let's all get high and enjoy the real reason I wrote "Dreggs": To "canonize" Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue

And here, of course, is where Saw Boss comes from

I always wondered if Dregg was actually a monster mind...hence as good a reason as any for a crackfic crossover

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-05-2014 at 11:20 AM.