The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

TMNT 'rise' is inspired by Mirage issue #9?

I know this has been brought up before, but it's something worth pondering. Does anyone thing the basic concepts and ideas for rise of the TMNT were inspired by Mirage issue #9? I ask because of Raph's mask and tonfa usage, Mikey's usage of the manriki gusari, and the mystical ninja abilities used in that issue (Splinter's astral projection, Gosei Hatsumi's possession of Splinter, etc.), and the fact it's set during their training period as ninjas... the coincidences are a bit too eerie. I mean, it's obvious the series's plot and tone didn't come from Mirage (Kevin Eastman actually points out Rise of the TMNT's plot, tone, and fights are inspired by the movie 'big trouble in little China') but it is interesting some of the series's basic elements first show up there. Anybody else think it's more than a coincidence?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-31-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Nope. Coincidence.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Inspired like the color of my stool is inspired by the weather.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

No way in hell.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Not only would that imply they read one of the most forgettable issues of early Mirage, it would imply they read any of Mirage. Which is obviously not the case, none of the Nickelodeon producers are literate.

In all honesty, maybe? It just seems odd, I forgot Raph and Mikey even had different weapons in that issue. Hell, I only ever remember the issue itself when I flip through the trade!

It's especially weird when you remember how none of the other adaptations seemed to work with it. The movies ignored it, 4Kids ignored it, Nickelodeon ignored it, IDW has yet to lift from it. I don't even think Mirage built on it aside from that Tales issue. And unless FW had some uncharacteristic moment of wanting to adapt something, you can bet your ass there isn't an episode that adapted it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not only would that imply they read one of the most forgettable issues of early Mirage, it would imply they read any of Mirage. Which is obviously not the case, none of the Nickelodeon producers are literate.

In all honesty, maybe? It just seems odd, I forgot Raph and Mikey even had different weapons in that issue. Hell, I only ever remember the issue itself when I flip through the trade!

It's especially weird when you remember how none of the other adaptations seemed to work with it. The movies ignored it, 4Kids ignored it, Nickelodeon ignored it, IDW has yet to lift from it. I don't even think Mirage built on it aside from that Tales issue. And unless FW had some uncharacteristic moment of wanting to adapt something, you can bet your ass there isn't an episode that adapted it.
The two parter "Masks" with Renet, Savanti Romero, and the Turtles in feudal Japan also features Gosei Hattori. But yeah, these two issues and the Tales issue, and that's IT as far as Hattori being a thing. (And, of course, Andrew's Volume 3 conclusion)...
Old 05-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The two parter "Masks" with Renet, Savanti Romero, and the Turtles in feudal Japan also features Gosei Hattori. But yeah, these two issues and the Tales issue, and that's IT as far as Hattori being a thing. (And, of course, Andrew's Volume 3 conclusion)...
Yeah, but you know, that's Andrew. He is the guy who seriously asked why Nick chose to make Karai the daughter of Shredder rather than Pimiko, in spite of the rather obvious reasons they went in that direction. He's amongst the better people here, he's just kind of like that when it comes to Mirage/Image.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Doubtful, only connection is the tonfa and Kusari-fundo and even then the chains looks more like someone designed the weapon first and then they labeled it to whatever "ninja weapon" looked close enough.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think parts of it are inspired by issue 9.
You don't have to read the book to look at the cover, and they're clearly looking for stuff that hasn't been done already.

So sure, why not?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

okay, got it, I was wrong, it's just coincidence. Moving on...

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Maybe this is even more of a stretch, but does he kinda look like the FastForward design to you?
Hahahaha!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Maybe this is even more of a stretch, but does he kinda look like the FastForward design to you?
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20121021121238https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20180201091842
Yeah, but only because the drawing styles are similar... i.e., all angles and not a single curve to be seen.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I actually think Rise was inspired by the research that turtle eggs are producing too many females because of the RISE in sea levels. Maybe we'll see the other other mutant turtles but these will be female. Stephen Murphy would be proud of the awareness to climate change and Venus will return. Win Win.

sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It's not the rise in sea-level, it's the rise in temperature.
Certain species of turtles have their sex determined not by their genes, but by the ambient temperature of the developing eggs. Too hot, you get more females than males. Too cold, you get more males than females.
Normally this isn't a problem because the species can be long lived, in the end things even out, but as the overall ambient temperature of the oceans and sand rise, we're getting more and more female turtles.

It's pretty interesting, though somewhat sad.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I actually think Rise was inspired by the research that turtle eggs are producing too many females because of the RISE in sea levels. Maybe we'll see the other other mutant turtles but these will be female. Stephen Murphy would be proud of the awareness to climate change and Venus will return. Win Win.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73...ah/banner2.gif
So SDP, what's the Venus Project?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It's not the rise in sea-level, it's the rise in temperature.
Certain species of turtles have their sex determined not by their genes, but by the ambient temperature of the developing eggs. Too hot, you get more females than males. Too cold, you get more males than females.
Normally this isn't a problem because the species can be long lived, in the end things even out, but as the overall ambient temperature of the oceans and sand rise, we're getting more and more female turtles.

It's pretty interesting, though somewhat sad.
Yes, I'm aware, my mind must've slipped since I was reading about sea levels just before posting this, it is world environment day after all We all gotta do our part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So SDP, what's the Venus Project?
It was the fanfic of an old dromer Aska. But she's long gone and the link to the fanfic is dead. It had some cool 2k3 style Venus artwork IIRC.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote